Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478509 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #16050 on: February 13, 2020, 09:50:03 pm »
Thanks Gert.  Will do.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16051 on: February 15, 2020, 10:08:00 pm »
Have been having a long discussion with myself about if I really need the new WW pie machine book. Well I gave in and bought 2.  One also for my gardener. After sitting  down and reading it cover to cover, I think it is the best $15 I have spent for a long time. If you have one of those Mini pie machines I think you will also love it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16052 on: February 16, 2020, 01:20:20 am »
BigW have Philips AF, XXL size for $300, that is $100 off. It is not digital.  I bought one :-[

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: February 16, 2020, 03:38:32 am »
Good on you Chookie. A friend has a new one that isn’t digital. She had 2 digital ones and they both died. She has had better luck with the non digital.  She bakes everything in it.

I bought the Pie book. I’m thinking very seriously of buying a smaller pie maker.  The only thing stopping me is that there will be more pastry in the pies I eat.  Good for the rest of the family but not me.  I know I can easily adjust the recipes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16054 on: February 16, 2020, 04:45:50 am »
Cookie, I love the mini pie maker but also share your concern about the amount of pastry.  What i do is roll the pastry sheet out a bit, so reducing the amount.  I also like Bill Grangers method where you get 12 cases from 1 sheet.  If you do this in the mini pie machine I think it would be best to line the machine when cold so they are easier to handle.  Several of the recipes in the WW book suggest this method. Also tarts, without the top reduces the pastry.
I also notice that they suggest using a double layer of patty pans in come recipes.  I suppose that is a way of controlling the baking as there is no control on the machine.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16055 on: February 16, 2020, 05:18:17 am »
Ha ha Chookie, I don’t think you should procrastinate when it comes to recipe books - if you like it just buy it.  It’s an addiction we all understand.  I used to make many pies with pastry and I have 3 pie machines, I can still use them for crustless quiches and frittatas so they will always be part of my cooking needs.

Will be interested to hear what you think of your XXL purchase, so many of us bought the Philips air fryer when it first came onto the market.  I wonder how many of them are still going strong like mine is.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16056 on: February 16, 2020, 08:03:19 pm »
Judy, my original AF is still going as is the one I bought my DD. We have had no problems.  Mine has been used every day since I bought it.  The wire basket is looking a bit thin.  As I have only one oven I really need the AF.
Like you I have 3 pie machines. I use the Sunbeam one for crumpets. The other one makes a deep pie and then the mini gets a real work out. We find a small pie is enough for lunch.
I also bought a AF cook book. It is American so not so keen on it.  However most of the recipes are cooked in a container in the AF. Which I don’t normally do.  It is written for the Philips machine. Have to remember that their tablespoons are roughly equal to our dessertspoons.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #16057 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:28 am »
DH bought me the Philips XXL for Christmas, non digital.  Love it.  I make roasts, roast veg, chips, cakes, sausage rolls, pizza etc.in it.   A great addition to my kitchen as my oven is c&"p.  It cooks ok today and not the next.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16058 on: February 17, 2020, 07:45:27 am »
My AF is still going strong. A piece of wire came loose in the basket so DH just wove it back into the mesh. I would buy another one if it dies.
I think I will blow the $$$ and get a mini pie maker next time I am near a K mart. I can give it lots of uses.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16059 on: February 17, 2020, 07:30:33 pm »
DH bought me the Philips XXL for Christmas, non digital.  Love it.  I make roasts, roast veg, chips, cakes, sausage rolls, pizza etc.in it.   A great addition to my kitchen as my oven is c&"p.  It cooks ok today and not the next.
I had a cranky oven like that for years too, Mab, until I replaced it recently; when we did our renovations in the city I moved the cooker from there up to the country and now I have an oven in each home that works well ... what a difference.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16060 on: February 17, 2020, 09:37:30 pm »
A good oven is essential.
Cookie, you will love the mini pie machine.  I thought that I could adapt a lot of things to this small machine but the WW book has taken it to another level.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #16061 on: April 17, 2020, 05:39:21 am »
I bought the WW piemaker book when DH and I were in Tassie in February. It's great.
I made jam donuts in the 4 pie maker size  (I have all 3 sizes). Very successfully made "bread" in that size too. 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk & 2 tlbsp mayonaise. it only made 5 rolls but they were good.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16062 on: April 17, 2020, 07:20:46 am »
Interesting Michele, how long did you cook them for please?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #16063 on: April 17, 2020, 08:22:56 am »
Is that just plain flour ? Never heard of mayonnaise to make a bread roll ! Might try it too . Tomorrow teen exercise.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16064 on: April 17, 2020, 10:34:44 am »
Sounds interesting Michel.  Which size pie maker did you use. ?
I made bread rolls tonight in my new Philips Air Fryer.  It is different, much hotter so had to adjust cooking time.  Actually easier.