Author Topic: Washing Machine Powder  (Read 152498 times)

Offline wombat

• View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Powder
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2012, 05:49:21 am »
Have used this washing powder for about six batches now in my front loader and it gives the clothes a beautiful smell and feel.  Occasionally, I will put a hot cycle through along with an occasional "normal" dynamo type.  I do this just in case there is a build up  of soap which could end up in a blockage.

Unfortunately this morning....sure enough....my machine had a blockage and in trying to unblock it we discovered soft soapy gunk.  I poured boiling water into the dispenser and I think it cleared a little bit and then put a hot cycle through with dynamo. Hopefully my machine is not ruined. I think I might have to do a few more hot cycles to make sure there is no build up in future.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2012, 06:07:34 am »
Do you use vinegar instead of a fabric conditioner wombat.  I'm sure this helps keep inner workings clean.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2012, 07:46:07 am »
The recipe was from a book called 'Saving Mum' by Amy Pleydon & Tiana Johannis. Turns out it's the same recipe as the TM one!

Off memory, mine was off the side of a borax container.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:28 am »
I have been using this recipe for 2 years now with no probs.  Occasionally we put a hot load through and in our front loader I only use 1 dessertspoon full.   I do a load nearly every day,(we are very dirty people).

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2012, 05:21:15 am »
We're a bit like you Chookie. DH gets filthy and often has 2 changes of clothes a day. I've been using it for ages in a front loader and have no problems. I don't use very much though. Probably between a dessertspoon and a tablespoon.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2012, 11:35:22 am »
yeah i do use vinegar as a conditioner but I think my prob might be that i add two large spoonfuls of washing powder.  We have had heaps of rain here in Aussie- qld- brissie  so there are towels to wash and sheets aplenty so i think I will do a few loads with hot water to hopefully give it a clear-out and then start again with only one spoonful of powder.

Offline DeeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2012, 02:51:43 am »
I made creampuffs recipe yesterday and am not my 4th load so far everything looks good and clean, though it didn't wash out the pumpkin soup one of the kids spilled on their clothes, but I imagine pumpkin soup may be something that stains. I have just added a cup of bicarb soda as I read that this is very good in the powder mix too, and would help whiten and brighten and soften. So I can't wait to see how the next load of washing turns out!

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2012, 03:07:25 am »
Decat, I still spray stains with a commercial pre-wash stain remover - I don't trust any washing powder to remove some stains.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2012, 07:45:12 pm »
Can only get this, not borax http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_sesquicarbonate
It is called borax substitute.

Anyone else had this trouble?
or used something else in recipe?
 Have now discovered the EU banned borax.

Found other comments about this detergent without the borax being no good???? !!!!!!  http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/laundry-gloop-isnt-very-good.html

Bit of a bummer when have bought all the other ingredients. Will try it, and may have to send to Australia for supplies. Crazy world isn't it.
Anyone coming over this way soon?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:54:09 pm by Droverjess »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »
They have borax on Amazon DJ :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2012, 08:10:53 pm »
Ordered a kilo.... Thanks, but am puzzled as to how I can buy it online if banned?
or is it not borax?

I won't have a clue!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2012, 08:24:23 pm »
Ordered a kilo.... Thanks, but am puzzled as to how I can buy it online if banned?
or is it not borax?

I won't have a clue!

Don't know either DJ :-\
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2012, 08:35:59 pm »
Just asked DH if he can test the powders somehow to see if the same?

He always says he is the scientist of the family so let's see what he can do!!

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:42 am »
I don't think anyone has asked this, but is it colourfast or does the soda fade colours?

Thanks

Ps DH says that borax and borax substitute (sodium sesquicarbonate) emit different coloured flames and he will test my borax when it comes to see if it is real! Sand I think I may have found another supplier if that one is not ok

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2012, 02:16:03 pm »
I've been using the original recipe since I posted it & haven't found there to be any fading of colours.  My husband is actually a clown (Yes that's his "job") so bright colours are his "business attire" & we don't suffer any leeching of colour.