Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichoke soup  (Read 15000 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Jerusalem Artichoke soup
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:53:32 am »
Name of Recipe: Jerusalem Artichoke soup
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:

1 medium onion
400 g Jerusalem Artichokes
10 g butter
20 g olive oil
Vegetable stock (about 500 g)
100 g milk
Nutmeg (for grating)

Preparation:

Prepare the artichokes :EITHER  if they are thin-skinned, you just need to clean them and cut them into small pieces (c. 2 cm)
                                 OR        if they are thick-skinned, they will need peeling and then cutting into small pieces (c.2 cm)

Peel the onion and cut it into quarters.  Place it in TMX with the olive oil and butter - Chop at speed 5 for 5 secs.  Cook for 4 minutes  at Varoma speed 2

Add the artichokes and cook for 1 minute at 100o speed 2

Add stock to the 1 litre mark and cook for 12 minutes at 100o speed 1.  Check artichokes are soft.  If not, cook for a few minutes more. 

Add milk and blend at speed 9 for 45 seconds.   

Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg on top.

Tips/Hints:

I don't add any extra salt as my stock is quite salty, but if required you could add salt and pepper when adding the stock.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Jerusalem Artichoke soup
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:55:49 am »
Congratulations Katya.  Good little recipe.  I find it easier to chop the onions without the butter and oil - anyone like to comment?

Just find the onion is less likely to drop back and get chopped without the oil in there - I know there are recipes in the books that say to add oil/butter first - am I different?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:32 am »
I take your point Thermomixer.   Some recipes say add the oil/butter after chopping and some do it together as I have done here.

To my (illogical) way of thinking, I reckon that if you put the oil/butter in when it's chopping, it gets amalgamated and therefore the cooking process is better, and I haven't had a problem with it not chopping.  But I'm open to change.... and certainly with the TMX, there's more than one way to swing a cat (or chop an onion!)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:11:26 pm »
As long as you don't use the Thermomix to swing the cat.  It is harder not to have the TMX chop things  :o :o  :o :o :o
Soup again dear?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:13:27 pm »
Howzabout swinging the onion?  ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 05:44:50 am »
I've just been given some Jerusalem Artichokes and have never cooked them before.  Katya what was this soup like?  Presumably it is tasty or you wouldn't have posted the recipe ...??  What do JAs taste like?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Bonsai

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:05:51 am »
I haven't had Jerusalem Artichokes for ages (did grow them once) and they're not a common sight in the shops. They taste quite mild - more potato-like but nuttier, quite different from a swede/turnip type of taste. Give it a try!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »
I love artichokes but a word of warning they can give you flatulence Marina :D :D :D I think they have the flavour of bacon but that maybe my dodgy taste buds. :-)) Easy to grow but can become invasive in the garden. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline shiverama

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:00:04 pm »
"Which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men", They are not called fartichokes for nothing!!!
24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day- coincidence?????