Author Topic: Acute Pancreatitis  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Jane101

• View Profile
Acute Pancreatitis
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:56:32 am »
Hi all
I have my thermie demonstration later today but just want to know if it will suit my new dietary needs?
I have been diagnosed with the above which means a very low fat, no butter, no cream diet? Plus lots of other restrictions.

I'm hoping the quickness of the thermie will help me to cook a decent meal each night (I work full time), but I can't really see any recipes that take my restrictions into account and its a lot of money of it wont help me?

Will the thermie have something for me?

TIA Jane

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Acute Pancreatitis
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:25:08 am »
Hi Jane and welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you will find suitable recipes if you do a bit of browsing eg the first recipe in Mains by achookwoman should suit your needs  http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=17273.0

We have a Diet section too, perhaps have a read of them too.  I always find you can reduce or eliminate some fats in recipes to suit your diet.  Let us know if you are looking for specific recipes and we can perhaps give you some links to a few to get you started.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:26:52 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:00:32 am »
Hi Jane. You poor thing, I feel for you.

However I think a lot of us follow a low fat, no butter, no cream type of diet and still manage to make lovely meals. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and am finding I now need to cook and eat a lot of different things.

As Judy said it will take a bit of research on your part, but we are always here to help you convert any recipes you find anywhere to thermomix recipes.
Another very important factor is that with the thermomix you will know exactly what is going into your food.
I'd say buy (but of course I am biased!). But if you prefer delay for a week or so after your demo and do a lot of research into recipes everywhere. Send us the link and we can tell you if you will be able to make it in your thermomix.

A lot of us have had 'what have I done' feelings before or after we buy. I have 2 and felt it with each machine. Good luck with your decision.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
Acute Pancreatitis
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 05:32:41 am »
Welcome Jane
Sorry to hear about your illness.
I think after you get used to cooking with the Thermomix you will find it really useful for special diets. My suggestion is to enjoy your demo and learn the techniques for cooking then you can learn to adjust and change ingredients to suit your needs. I cook for a family member with a serious allergy and it is great as I have total control over what we eat.
There is always some one on this forum to help out with questions and many of us have great substitutes and tweaks for recipes and ingredients.
Just as a start I think you will enjoy the sorbet or fruity dream made with fruit and water ice blocks.. Delicious and very healthy.
Just ask on here there is lots of experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:28:08 am »
Welcome to the Forum Jane.
How awful to have this illness.
Lots of support on here to help you cook in your new machine.The "Varoma" will be your new best friend as it steams fish,meat and vegetables beautifully. Have fun cooking with your new TM5.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:39:59 pm »
Hi Jane and welcome to the forum.

As our fellow forum members have already posted, we are always here to help and support you.  Many of us cope with food restrictions and have found ways around them.  To have a huge change in your diet is a challenge, but there are nearly always options that work as well, they are just different to how and what you have eaten before.  For myself, I am a vegetarian, my husband recently became anaphylactic to pine nuts and intolerant to dairy and over Xmas my friend came to visit for a couple of days and she is grain and sugar free.  When she told me I went into a complete panic about what I could cook whilst she was with us, but I quickly figured out that vegan food pretty well covered all our dietary requirements ... perhaps this could be a place you could start looking for ideas.  The main thing is to never feel that any questions you put to the forum are silly - we have all been new to the TMX once and have gone through the same settling down period as you will.

None of us here regret purchasing their thermomixes - my best advice is, once you have made the decision, keep your TMX on your bench where it is easily accessible so that you will use it all the time, if it gets put away into a cupboard between uses it then becomes an expensive user of space - if you are spending all that money, make sure you get your money's worth out of it and put it to use.  Don't be put off by the various dials, buttons, etc., just view them as you would a timer, the temperature on your cooker or oven, etc.  You will get used to everything very quickly.

Good luck and good cooking.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:45:14 am »
Marina, you say it so well!  I hope Jane pops back on to read these helpful posts.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:46:49 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Jane101

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 01:10:25 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for the awesome posts and indormation. I purchased my thermie yesterday and await delivery.
I'm looking forward to a new cooking experience 😃
Oh and lots of advice - thank you x

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:28:52 pm »
That's exciting news, Jane.  Remember, advice on here is free, always available and useful - if it doesn't precisely answer your needs you will often find that it gives you enough to point you in the direction you need / want to go.

Keep in touch.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:25 am »
I'm thrilled for you Jane. As Marina has mentioned we love to help people and hear of their adventures. Happy thermomixing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 11:37:22 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:13 pm »
Hi Jane, you will love your thermie within 1 month, so many variations of recipes to cook, so easily.
someone is always on here, so ask questions, we all help.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 12:35:23 am »
Welcome Jane.
You'll find lots of great recipes and excellent advice about your new Thermomix here.
Like everyone else on this forum, I love my themie to bits and use it everyday (when I'm home). Have fun.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 09:12:13 pm »
Hi Jane,. Great buy, you won't regret it once you get going. You will make mistakes, we all did/do. Ask for help. As CC said, your Varoma will become your best friend. Also don't forget the basket for small amounts and cooking eggs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:31:03 am by cookie1 »