Author Topic: Peanut Chicken  (Read 39061 times)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
Peanut Chicken
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:11:18 pm »
Peanut Chicken:
Serves 4:
Ingredients:
750g boneless, skinless chicken, cut in chunks - I used thigh
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (creamy or chunky, your choice)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large onion
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup soy sauce give or take - I think I used 1/2 a cup and it was great but I did it slowly because I was worried about over doing it
1/2 cup chicken stock - I didn't have any so didn't bother

Preparation:

coarsely chop the onion in the  *: add rest of the ingredients and then cook on 90, reverse  ^^ speed for around 20 minutes, it really was that easy!

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

I think that the chicken could do with marinating in the sauce for an hour or two - it would really give it a depth of flavour but it was really nice without that step.  My incredibly fussy children - 2 out of 3 ate it with no comments (that's gotta be good) the 3rd had just raided his school lunch box so wasn't particularly hungry.  Grown ups might appreciate the addition of some chilli somewhere, it might be nice to play with a bit of garlic too

I got this recipe from a slow cooking blog - my slow cooker is packed away so I decided to try it in the TMX  http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2011/02/easy-peanut-butter-chicken-slow-cooker.html

members' comments

JD - This is a really lovely, simple dish Nik - it takes longer to defat the thigh fillets than it does to cook the whole meal. I only had 430g thighs so adjusted the quantities of everything else accordingly.  I took your suggestion onboard and added 1/4 tspn chilli paste. I also thickened it with 2 tsp cornflour mixed with a little water at the end of the cooking time, placed it in the thermosaver whilst I steamed some rice and vegies.  Had enough chicken and sauce leftover from 2 serves to add all the excess vegies for another meal tomorrow with rice.  This is something I would certainly serve to visitors.  I didn't marinate the meat beforehand, just got straight into it and it is delicious.  Thank you for such a simple recipe. 5/5 from us.

hjacobsen - had no chicken or peanut butter so used prawns which needed less cooking time than chicken. Made peanut butter with  macadamias and almonds which added to the texture very nicely.  The sauce was a bit runny and there was too much of it so I saved some for the freezer.  It will make a great base for another seafood dish. I served it on rice and took the cue from here to have wilted chinese vegies, fresh from our asian market this morning. Thumbs up from all of us.  A fabulous meal, no fuss, no mess, just compliments that I didn't really deserve. I really look forward to trying it with the chicken!

johnro - it was a hit - cut cumin to 1 teasp added some chilli and garlic, thickened with cornflour and served with steamed vegies and rice.  So very quick and delicious - thank you for posting.

Katya - it was a great success.  I marinated the chicken with all the ingredients plus some chilli, garlic and ginger.   I probably used less soy sauce and less peanut butter (trying to be healthy) but it still tasted really good and it's certainly something I'll do again. Thanks for posting it.

Lellyj - This was delicious and so easy as promised.  Will become a regular in our house. I thickened the sauce as Judydawn suggested and didn't add chicken stock either. Next time, rather than cumin, I might use some red curry paste in the beginning and then coconut milk rather than soy and finish off with some fish sauce, lime and palm sugar to give it a Thai flavour, instead.  Feel a bit inspired! Thanks for sharing!

cookie - really enjoyed it. I did make a couple of modifications. I added ½ chilli and 1 clove garlic to the sauce. I did the sauce early and marinated the chicken in it (in the fridge ) for a few hours. I then cooked the chicken in pieces in a non stick frypan and added the sauce to cook through. DH had the leftovers as pies (in the pie maker).

Jen 71 - OOPS! I misread the instructions and accidentally set the Thermie to  counterclock Speed 4 for just a few seconds. I've ended up with minced chicken. It's still pretty tasty.

Amy - really enjoyed it, added it to the "make-again" list. It's a lot like a satay chicken recipe I used to make on the stove but so much easier! Thanks so much for this recipe.
I made it again with a couple of major tweaks and it turned out beautifully. I just whizzed all the ingredients for the sauce in the TMX and put it in a big bowl with about 650g chicken tenderloins. I left them to marinate for an hour and then poured the whole lot into a lined baking dish and cooked them in the oven. I will definitely do it this way from now on, the chicken is so tender and it stays exactly how you want it. I think I would add more stock to the sauce though, I would have liked a bit more to soak into the rice.

mcmich - followed the recipe exactly. Very yummy. Like Amy I would double the sauce quantity next time. Loved the flavour of the sauce.

inskiwinski - It was so simple to make but was totally delicious, was gobbled up quickly at my house!

JuliaC83 - Yum! Realised I had no soy sauce as I was prepping but went ahead anyway. Added diced carrot and celery for extra veg and served alongside steamed silverbeet and broccoli as well as a mix of brown rice/wild rice/quinoa/chia.

chickie - so easy to make. I served it with steamed vegies and vermicelli noodles. I found mine to be quite saucy as I added the chicken stock. DH and I agree that next time we would both prefer it with more chicken. Thanks for posting such an easy yummy meal!

Kmmyh - it was delicious. Like cookie, I whizzed up all the sauce ingredients plus some garlic, chilli and ginger, and marinated the chicken (I used breast) for a few hours. I then stir fried onion, carrot and capsicum in frypan before adding chicken and sauce. Thanks for recipe, will be making this again.

Aimezly - easy and delish!!  Two thumbs up!  Thanks for the recipe!

Chookie - Made a variation of this for lunch today.  Added mushrooms, garlic and peas. Served with pasta.  Loved it.  

foodgroupie - I didn't think there was going to be enough sauce so I added another 1 and a half cups of water at the start of the cooking process, had to add cornflour at the end to thicken the sauce, wife loved it, 19 month old daughter loved the sauce with rice,,, happy days.

Tony 101 - Easy to do, and very tasty. The only problem was that the chicken was shredded at the end, despite speed 1 on reverse.
Its always nice to have chicken that looks like chicken.

JD - Tony, some people cook meat with the butterfly in place to prevent shredding but I find if your chunks are chunky and you use a very low speed on reverse, it isn't necessary.

Cookie - Tenina has mentioned that when using chicken breasts just pop them in for the last 6-7 minutes. They will cook but not break up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:43:33 am by judydawn »
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Peanut Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:30:36 pm »
Looks so good, and so easy to do. Ta very muchly, and will let you know what my review is when I make it  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:33:50 am »
Looks good to me too Nik.  Left in the thermosaver for a while would give it a greater depth of flavour too I would think if you didn't have time to marinate for an hour.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:21:21 am »
This looks yum. I've put it on the list to try but with the list the way it is, it could be sometime in 2012 before I get to it. ;D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:12:12 pm »
I'm actually marinating everything for tomorrow night, and was just wondering Nicola what the long strips are next to the baby corn? (not the capsicum  :-))) Did you steam those veges whilst the chicken was cooking in the jug?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
The long strips are pak choi/bok choi/chinese cabbage.  I'm not sure what you call it but its a chinese vegetable thing here.  I didn't bother steaming them but just wilted them in the frying pan (sans oil)  The babycorn was tinned so it didn't need much cooking.

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:15:41 am »
This is a really lovely, simple dish Nik - it takes longer to defat the thigh fillets than it does to cook the whole meal.
I only had 430g thighs (already defatted in the freezer) so adjusted the quantities of everything else accordingly. I am presuming your quantity for the thighs is grams and not pounds.  I took your suggestion onboard and added 1/4 tspn chilli paste. I also thickened it with 2 tsp cornflour mixed with a little water at the end of the cooking time, placed it in the thermosaver whilst I steamed some rice and vegies.  Had enough chicken and sauce leftover from 2 serves to add all the excess vegies for another meal tomorrow with rice.  This is something I would certainly serve to visitors.  I didn't marinate the meat beforehand, just got straight into it and it is delicious.  Thank you for such a simple recipe. 5/5 from us.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline hjacobson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 03:46:34 am »
Hi, I'm new here but love this forum.  So much to inspire!

I came looking for a lazy Sunday chicken dish.  I found this and knew I would love it.  I had some chicken thigh fillets left from yesterdays big family feast of paella.

On raiding the fridge I found that I had sensibly put the chicken in the freezer because I also had extra prawns that should be cooked first.  Well, this recipe sounds like it would suit prawns too.  The next problem was, no peanut butter to be found.  I did have some macadamias and some almonds, enough for a nut butter made in the TM.

Result? The prawns needed less cooking time than chicken. The macadamias and almonds added to the texture very nicely.  The sauce was a bit runny and there was too much of it so I saved some for the freezer.  It will make a great base for another seafood dish. I served it on rice and took the cue from here to have wilted chinese vegies, fresh from our asian market this morning. Thumbs up from all of us.  A fabulous meal, no fuss, no mess, just compliments that I didn't really deserve.

I really look forward to trying it with the chicken!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:14 pm »
Made this tonight Nic and it was a hit - cut cumin to 1 teasp added some chilli and garlic, thickened with cornflour and served with steamed vegs and rice.  So very quick and delicious - thank you for posting  :)  :) I took pics but the chicken looked under cooked which it wasn't so chose not to attach, thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:02:03 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 02:08:42 pm »
I made this the other night Nic and it was a great success.  I marinated the chicken with all the ingredients plus some chilli, garlic and ginger.   I probably used less soy sauce and less peanut butter (trying to be healthy  :D) but it still tasted really good and it's certainly something I'll do again.

Thanks for posting it ... :-*

Offline butterflymama

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:39:45 am »
I;m going to give this a go tonight.. looks delicious. Thanks heaps!

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:12 pm »
This was delicious and so easy as promised.  WIll be come a regular in our house. I thickened the sauce as Judydawn suggested and didn't add chicken stock either. Next time, rather than cumin, I might use some red curry paste in the beginning and then coconut milk rather than soy and finish off with some fish sauce, lime and palm sugar to give it a Thai flavour, instead.  Feel a bit inspired! Thanks for sharing!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 07:44:12 am »
We had this the other night and really enjoyed it. I did make a couple of modifications. I added ½ chilli and 1 clove garlic to the sauce. I did the sauce early and marinated the chicken in it (in the fridge ) for a few hours. I then cooked the chicken in pieces in a non stick frypan and added the sauce to cook through.
DH had the leftovers as pies (in the pie maker) today for lunch. (chopped the cooled chicken up for the pie maker)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jen71

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 02:13:04 am »
OOPS!

I misread the instructions and accidently set the Thermie to  :-: Speed 4 for just a few seconds.
I've ended up with minced chicken.

It's still pretty tasty. :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
I made this tonight :) My chicken weighed a little less than in the recipe so I just reduced everything else to suit. Mum and step-dad really enjoyed it, told me to add it to the "make-again" list ;D
Its a lot like a satay chicken recipe I used to make on the stove, but so much easier! :D

Thanks so much for this recipe.