Author Topic: Never Fail Cupcakes  (Read 73174 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Never Fail Cupcakes
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2012, 11:33:10 pm »
i wish I could get nice evenly cooked cupcakes like that - my oven is so uneven they always peak and some even drop to one side, it turns me off cooking cupcakes  :(

What temp are you cooking them at wonder?
220c is far too hot, and over mixing could be making them peak too.
I only cook cupcakes on 175c max. ( just adjust cooking time), lower in the oven - not middle rack in my oven as they peak and over cook.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2012, 11:59:27 pm »
To be honest maddy I got so frustrated that i haven't made cupcakes in ages. I was thinking that 220c would be far too hot and that's another thing the smeg is not meant to be used for - high temps, according to the repair man who has had to replace two elements on both mine and my neighbours oven you are only ever meant to have the oven at that temp for a maximum of 10 mins at a time!!  From memory I've tried cooking them down as low as 160 and both with and without the fan, i'll give them a try this weekend just to see. Do you think I should try this recipe with the mixing times as is and try cooking without the fan at 170 - 175 and lower in the oven as you've suggested below or do you have another fool proof recipe?

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 12:25:38 am »
Honestly, try again with a 1/2 batch of Bimby cake, choc or vanilla.....which I cook on 170 c for around 20-25 mins. (check from 20 mins. onwards) In regular cupcake papers, not the massive muffin ones...I've never had a fail.....or the quicker than a packet cake recipe worked we'll too...no glitches.   I think this recipe is a little hit/miss.
Definitely cook without the fan.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:37:26 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 12:54:18 am »
when making a 1/2 batch of the bimby mixture how long should I mix it for? also do you know how much mixture you put in each wrapper? I use the silicon one which are the same size as the standard cheap paper cupcake wrappers from the supermarket.

Offline merl81

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2012, 01:02:18 am »
I use ordinary teaspoons to put the mixture in the cupcake wrappers. It probably ends up with 1 heaped teaspoon and a little bit more. Sometimes it doesn't look like much, but if you look at the photo I attached the other day you will see how even they come out and they are the perfect size for icing.  I also cook my cupcakes at about 180 in fan forced electric, in the middle of the oven.
“If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it”

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:39 am »
Sorry knittercook, i didn't check who had actually responded.

merl81, it seems like such a small amount of batter but will give it a try. with one of the recipes maddy has suggested and see how I go.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 02:16:37 am »
Wonder... I mix for 30 seconds, scrape and mix for another 20 seconds.....withanyway Bimby recipea.   It doesn't seem to make a huge difference mixing longer with the Bimby recipe.  Always have my butter & eggs at room temp.
generally, you should mix butter and sugar first, then add the dry ingredients, and mix until combined, and not over beaten.
I fill papers to about 3/4 capacity.
I would trial your oven, by doing a few cupcakes on the middle rack....see how they turn out, then trial the remainder on a lower rack.
ovens can be so finicky.  Mine cooks too hot on middle shelf for cakes, but yours may be fine.
I think your best to trial things out with a completely no fail recipe Like the Bimby one  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:59:56 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2012, 11:27:31 am »
I made these this afternoon. I felt that the thermomix was straining to mix at speed 8 so dropped it back. I cooked them at 180 for about 15 minutes. They look lovely. I will ice them tomorrow.
I have just iced some of these for visitors. No where as wonderful as Maddy, but I'm pleased.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:04:06 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline evepantany

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2013, 06:23:55 am »
I made these last night for a 'Biggest Morning Tea' my husband was having at work. He just called to say they went down a treat - good job I 'burnt' the first batch so plenty left for us - actually I just ate 2 un-iced as I could wait!!! Thanks for a great 'never fail' recipe :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2013, 08:52:36 am »
Nothing wrong with the way they look Cookie, I bet your visitors were impressed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline AnnieM

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2013, 01:24:49 pm »
These were a real winner with my friends. I put some coffee essence in the cupcake mixture too. Thanks

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
Re: Re: Never Fail Cupcakes
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2013, 08:17:59 am »
Made these today. 180degrees no fan for 10 minutes then with fan for another 5. Success.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 06:43:54 am »
I needed something quick for afternoon tea so I made these. They are lovely and light. I cut the tops off and put Passionfruit butter in them.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2013, 07:16:06 am »
they look luscious!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2013, 11:51:18 am »
Thank you, they are.