Author Topic: My special awesome cheese sauce  (Read 163951 times)

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Re: My special awesome cheese sauce
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2011, 09:55:13 am »
I'm going to make this sauce again today but without the cheese  ;D  DH is allergic to cheese so I am going to try the same method and ingredients but will replace the cheese with whole green peppercorns and a little vegetable bouillon powder.  Will let you know how I get on.  Think I might need to reduce the amount of liquid as cheese adds to the thickening process (I think?).

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »
I made the peppercorn sauce today and reduced the milk quantity to 440g - wrong thing to do.  You do need the full 500g or possibly even more.  It tasted fine, just too thick.  I will prefect the recipe and add it when I make it again.

JB

Offline daska

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 10:01:25 am »
Love this sauce, especially the way you can tell that it's done because it goes 'quiet' LOL. I have only used it as a topping though, so can someone be my brain today please?

I need to make macaroni cheese for 6 adults (decent portions not tiny). Does 500g pasta sound enough :-\ and will one batch of sauce do it or do I need more? I can't think off-hand how much sauce this recipe makes but I'm not feeling confident. And if I need more can I scale it up or will have to make separate batches?

I'm not cooking at home and the shops won't be open by the time I arrive so I need to make sure I'm prepared...
Off the south coast of England

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 11:11:52 am »
I would say that the recipe for the sauce is for approximately 4 people, so you might need to make half as much again.  A recommended serving per person for pasta is 75-100g dry weight, so 500g would give each person 83g, which may not be enough if you want large helpings.

JB

Offline daska

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
That's helpful, thank you. I reckon the jug is big enough that I can scale up the quantities and just up the cooking time by a couple of minutes (useful to have a recipe which tells you when it's cooked).

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 04:07:01 pm »
Must try this some time. Just commenting so I can find recipe easier when I want to try it.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 04:09:13 pm »
Daska, you should be OK, so long as you don't exceed the 2 litre mark.

Tasty, you won't want to make cheese sauce any other way after you have tried this  ;D

JB

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 10:34:26 am »
I want to make this with the broccoli and cauliflower like maddy. Do you steam the cauliflower and broccoli and for how long? Do you then put it all in thevoven?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:00 am »
Steaming times depend on how large you make the florets Tasty and cauli takes longer to cook than broccoli.  Add boiling water to the bowl, about 600mls, place the cauli & broccoli into the varoma dish and cook on varoma temp for 10-15 minutes, speed 3. Check to see if it is cooked but still firm.  Remove the broccoli when it is cooked and continue cooking the cauli. Place the broccoli into an ovenproof dish and add the cauli when it is cooked.  Make the cheese sauce, pour it over the vegies, top with some grated cheese and fresh breadcrumbs and bake in 180oC oven until golden brown.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
i think off memory i have a lasagna dish that i put half broccoli florets on one side, and the other side with cauli florets (all raw) - and then poured the sauce over the lot and just bunged it in the oven until nicely browned as we like it. The cheese and breadcrumbs sounds like a nice touch too.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline daska

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
sesame seeds make a good topping as well

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »
I made it and it turned out delicious and thick and I had enough to cover the whole dish!! (when i have tried it without a tmx in the past, i can't seem to get enough and generally it's a fail).

I will post a photo tomorrow as can't on ipad and hubby is using laptop.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2011, 08:55:07 am »
Just made this tonight for Macaroni Cheese with Bacon. Absolutely delish.  :)
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Mary Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:42 am »
I made this Christmas day and poured it over cauliflower and brocolli.... it was wonderful and everyone loved it. Thanks  :)
Lifes like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get................

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:21 am »
I made this Christmas day and poured it over cauliflower and brocolli.... it was wonderful and everyone loved it. Thanks  :)

Same and my step mother saw how quick and easy it was that she now wants a TMX  :D
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com