Author Topic: Smelly lid!  (Read 35472 times)

Offline medusa

• View Profile
my lid stinks too
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:11 am »
I have had my thermo for 8 days and the lid stinks.  I have washed it properly with detergent, soaked in bicarb and it is very garlicky.  Not very nice.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
Re: Smelly lid!
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2011, 03:31:10 am »
I was also sent another seal, and used an old seal, the problem dosn't seem to be that bad with the old seal.  I still do get some flavour transfer from the lid and spatula sometimes (after a curry or something) but nowhere near as bad as with the new style seal yucko!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:24 am »
I think immediate washing is also a key. Just yesterday, I cooked a chilli, ginger, garlic and shallot mixture for a salad dressing, then washed straight away. I didn't detect any aroma from the lid or bowl and made a chocolate cake immediately afterward.

definately mj...sometimes i used to leave the washing until after dinner etc but now i rinse it out straight away or soak it if necessary and havent had problems with smell since..i also do an occasional dishwasher wash to really give it a good clean (but thats only possible for newer versions)  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2011, 08:03:34 am »
how long has this new seal been available...?? i have had my thermie for 8 months now and had smelly problems in the beginning but not so much now but like i mentioned to give it a good rinse out i use the egg shells and dishwashing liquid method and also do regular dishwashing washes and also dont leave it too long before washing if not immediately and i put the basket in the thx bowl with the mc in the basket, sit the lid on loosely and pose the varoma trays on a tilt on top with the butterfly sitting in the varoma...sorry to hear so many newbies are having smelly problems!

will have to ask my consultant if they have been having problems lately over here  :)

Offline sew chin

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 04:33:23 am »
Hi

What I did was I made my own vegetable enzyme and everytime I cook something that adour I will soak in it overnight.

To made the enzyme is 3kg fruits peel ( more acidic the better) 1 kg brown sugar and 10kg water mix well and keep in the cover container for 3 months for Aus. it have to be longer cos the weather there is cooler then we in Malaysia.

Strain and the pulps can be used a fertilizer.

You can keep it for a long time mine is about 6 mths old .

:: :: *:

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 09:45:28 am »
just found this thread ... do what you would do with smelly tupperware ... wash it, dry it and put it in the freezer .... magic ... no smell!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »
Was just about to give you all the same tip....stick lid in the freezer for an hour. Odour GONE! ;) ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline Persistenttiger

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25:19 am »
Argh... I'm of course having the same problem. I've only had the thermomix for 4 days and the lid and seal stink! I hate smelly things. I've cleaned with detergent, vinegar, lemon juice, bicarb. I've never left it dirty or with the lid on. It still smells like the vegetable stock concentrate that I made with the consultant. My DD's porridge that I made this morning had the lingering odour of it too :(  I am really disappointed and shouldn't have to come up with all different methods to try to remove an odour or have to have a separate seal for savoury and sweet for a machine that is so costly and it is a problem that has been known about for a few years now.

All this isn't helped by the fact that I have an extra sensitive nose due to pregnancy!

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »
Argh... I'm of course having the same problem. I've only had the thermomix for 4 days and the lid and seal stink! I hate smelly things. I've cleaned with detergent, vinegar, lemon juice, bicarb. I've never left it dirty or with the lid on. It still smells like the vegetable stock concentrate that I made with the consultant. My DD's porridge that I made this morning had the lingering odour of it too :(  I am really disappointed and shouldn't have to come up with all different methods to try to remove an odour or have to have a separate seal for savoury and sweet for a machine that is so costly and it is a problem that has been known about for a few years now.

All this isn't helped by the fact that I have an extra sensitive nose due to pregnancy!

HI PST

It does help if you don't put the lid on TMx when not in use.  Many of us hang our lid on the back of the TMX when not in use. I have not had any issues with smells since doing that.  I always try to wash TNx straight away or if busy at least fill up with hot soapy water.

I remember the sensitive smell of pregnancy, it must be off putting when your TMX still has odours.

Offline Persistenttiger

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:25 pm »
Yes I do leave it to air and wash straight away - I guess it's just the nature of the material it's made from and my very sensitive nose! I will have to learn to not breathe in when I am dealing with the lid :(

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 08:30:04 pm »
I was told boiling a bit of vinegar in water i thermie gets rid of all smells but i o,ly had this in the beginning now no smells so maybe its just the material when Its new too??

Offline Girlpower247

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:03 am »

I had a dejavue moment reading your post  Persistenttiger because that's exactly what happened after my delivery demo where my consultant and I cooked the veggie stock concentrate...I have had that same smell on my lid (I believe the seal is the main culprit) for weeks and I also wash my TM bowl & lid after use, have always hung my lid on side of bowl (my logical thinking to do so due to smell) via hook, and my porridge has also had  a funny smell  to it, but taste has been ok.
Only difference in your post and my situation is that I am not pregnant BUT, I am an odour panelist and do smell industrial odours at one of my jobs....so I do have a fairly good sense of smell and often when walking past my TM I would get a whiff of that lid...yuk!

After reading this thread tonight, I have given my lid the close up smell test, have confirmed it is definitely the seal that's retaining the odour, attacked both lid and seal with bicarb, plus lemon peel, washed with detergent, then into freezer for an hour, only just taken it out, think the smell is more of a lemon smell now but will have a sniff a bit later once it's back at room temp.

It's not nice to have these smells after cooking and I also think this should be addressed because a second seal (to me) is more like a bandaid for the issue....it will help but I didn't pay this sort of money to be swapping seals around depending on what I'm cooking plus I don't want the stale smell of onions, garlic etc on my TM lid after its already been washed with detergent.

I will speak to my consultant about this to see If she knows whether  its deemed a problem or not with HO.
She did tell me the lid can take on the smell of what you've cooked in the TM, but said it won't transfer into any other foods afterwards...she did mention some of the cleaning methods already mentioned on here.

I'm due to make more veggie stock concentrate soon, my first lot is almost gone, being salt free, I often use two ice cubes for flavour then add a small amount of salt to taste, (love my salt free stock)  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 12:10:09 pm »
You are right Girlpower, it is the seal and I think it is the silicone seal which holds the smells.  My first bowl had a black seal and I never had this problem, my second bowl has the new silicon rimmed seal and I make sure I don't use it for smelly things.  I bought this matter up with hierarchy at HO and I was told Vorwerk were working on it - I have not followed it up and that was 5 months ago.  Therefore, to answer your question, yes they are aware of it and probably have been for years.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Girlpower247

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »
Thanks Judy....it sounds like they fixed one issue (possible leaks) with the newer silicone seal but now have odour absorption to address.
Obviously HO have known about this for a while now then, wonder if more of us complained about it - it may put a little pressure on them for a better solution? Like people power!  ;D

I've had another good sniff of my lid now it's at room temp ...LOL, feels like I'm at work still....the lid itself is fine, the seal is a bit of a mix of mainly lemon smell with a reasonably subtle undertone of the other smell still. Lemon smell is fine, has a cleaner smell at least.
I think having a reasonably sensitive smell can be both a blessing and a curse  ???
Seems ironic that a small item like a seal could end up taking more time to try and deodorize than cleaning the bowl & lid, that's when the curse, I mean smell kicks in...I will try soaking my lid/seal with cold water & detergent immediately after use, then follow up with hot water & detergent - along with the bowl/blades too of course  :)