Author Topic: Smelly lid!  (Read 35602 times)

Offline debetha

• View Profile
Smelly lid!
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:17 am »
I have had my thermomix for a month, but it has developed a smell after less than 2 weeks - made onion relish using the odettes onion recipe and since then the lids has had an onion aroma. Take it apart fully after anything cooked/ sticky etc and after any cooking "session", and wash by using turbo pulses, and then the brush in the sink. Have tried cookignup with bicarbonate and lemon asnsuggested on this forum, putting the lid in the freezer overnight, putting the lid thru the dishwasher at the suggestion of my thermomix consultant, and soaking in bicarbonate & vinegar overnight (also her suggestion)
Smell maynhave eased a bit but still detectabel, possibly kore in the seal but alsomin the lid. My last lot of yoghurt had a distinct onion whiff to it. The smell does change - eg made marmalade and was more sweet and citrusy, but still bothers me
Any suggestions? Surely this isn't normal? Pretty disappointed ESP as it is so new, & claims not to retain smells
Cheers
Deb
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Smelly lid!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:41:30 pm »
I don't think it is supposed to retain odours if it is washed straight away, but I know of some people who have ended up with a lid smelling like leek or onion.  I would probably give it a good rub each day with a cut lemon and wash it once a day in the dish washer also. Good luck.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:56 pm »
Hi debetha, welcome to the forum.  Sorry your first posting is because of a problem.  I have never had a smelly anything in my TMX so it is rather strange.  I would report it to your consultant and see if she can get answers from H.O. for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:07:32 pm »
Hi debetha, have a look at this topic and read what Frozzie does to get rid of a smelly bowl and lid.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3380.msg51861#msg51861
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »
Mine retains smells all the time.  I reduce it by storing the MC in the basket in it to let it air while it is not in use.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 08:41:00 am »
I never leave the MC in the lid when its not in use. I always just leave it on the top.
I have occasionally had curry smells but they seem to go away quite quickly, although one of my bowls has a lovely curry coloured MC.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:14:49 am »
I think a big thing is to wash the lid immediately after use (especially with curries, onions etc).  I remember our Tassie GL telling us about a customer who came to her with a lid that smelt strongly of leeks.  It turned out the person had cooked potato and leek soup for dinner and then hadn't washed the thermomix (and lid) until the next day.  Yucko.  :P

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 10:30:37 am »
debetha,  I have had onion smells but now wash out bowl immediately i have cooked something,  The only thing I leave in bowl is bread.  If it smells even a little I leave the lid off altogether,  until I am going to use it again.  Can't add much to what has already been suggested.   

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:25:24 am »
something I do that I just thought maybe others don't do or know about (you know these little things lol) is hang the lid from the bowl rim via the locking hook. Place your bowl in the cradle and the the lid will hang either to the left of right of the handle.

This keeps it all together ready to use, but open to air. I do keep the MC in the bowl - you just need to remember that it is there or you will chop it up - how do I know this, you ask, well one of my customers did it  :o thank goodness for her MC's are only half the price of a butterfly!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:36:33 pm »
I think immediate washing is also a key. Just yesterday, I cooked a chilli, ginger, garlic and shallot mixture for a salad dressing, then washed straight away. I didn't detect any aroma from the lid or bowl and made a chocolate cake immediately afterward.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 01:18:10 am »
I think you are spot on MJ, mine never smells as I always wash it straightaway.  It is far easier to clean then too.

Faffa, it only makes sense to air the bowl - I know we all like to have our TMX sitting there in one piece but although I haven't hung my lid by the hook, I do just sit it loosely on top of the bowl since our group leader told me it will help the rubber seal to last longer. If I have visitors coming, I put the lid on but do not click it shut all the way.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 02:40:43 am »
I knew there was a reason I always wash my bowl immediately! I started doing it to re enforce to DH how easy it was to wash and it became a habit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Ostara

• View Profile
    • Thermocauldron
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 07:18:29 am »
The trick is to rinse in cold water first with a dash of detergent. This takes the onion type smells right out of the situation. Then wash with hot water. Hot water first up will "set" the smell. This was the advice I got as a Tupperware demonstrator for cutting boards and choppers and it's never failed :).

Perhaps try washing in cold water now? That might solve the problem.
Blogging about my adventures at http://thermocauldron.blogspot.com/

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:51 am »
Thanks guys
I have been very careful to always wash right away - the other washing up gets left but not the TMX! - but used hot water which was probably the cause. Have tried Frozzie's remedy. Waiting to hear back from my consultant's supervisor for any further advice. Tend to have lid over bowl for storage, without MC, but will leave it off in future
Thanks
Deb
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:15 pm »
I found this on the U.K.Thermomix recipe website about cleaning the TM. ;D
http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=115
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.