Author Topic: Smelly lid!  (Read 35673 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Smelly lid!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 01:37:03 am »
Thanks CC, haven't heard of that method before. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 06:22:23 am »
Welcome Deb.  I think most problems I encounter are with the rubber seal more than anything.  But it has never been a big problem.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 06:40:14 am »
Hi,
I have the same problem. My husband made butter chicken and didn't wash the lid properly. So next time I went to use it it smelt like indian food!
I have tried everything as well. I have just emailed my consultant to see if there is something else I can do!
BLOODY MEN!!

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 02:01:10 am »
I had the same experience with the cauliflower and leek soup causing the silicon rim of the lid to smell, but after a few times in the dishwasher the smell has gone away.  In future I will use cold before hot water as suggested.  Thanks for the tip

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 09:03:12 am »

BLOODY MEN!!

Hey watch it !!!  You couldn't live without us  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline debetha

• View Profile
Re: Smelly lid! - Update
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 02:41:38 am »
Well I can still smell onion on the lid - especially the seal, but spoke to my local demonstrator's senior, who was helpful, and reassured me that it can retain some smell but shouldn't transfer to the food. In fact have made a couple more batches of yoghurt without having that onion whiff to it!
So feeling more confident to cook away  :) - in fact made some more "Odette's onions" chutney last night, and the lid & seal now smell more strongly of onions, even after a soaking in vinegar, but that smell is fading/ changing as I cook other things. Hoping to try some washing powder later so might serve a double purpose!
Thanks for everyone's help
Deb
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 10:33:59 am »
I've only had my TM for a few days, I did a macaroni cheese recipe, and diced up some onion, then cooked the sauce in it, so it was probably half an hour later when I washed it, and there was a very distinct smell of onion in the silicone rim. I was also pretty dissapointed!

I washed in hot water also, perhaps that should be a tip the consultants give out? That you wash in cold water, then hot water. Would have saved the onion smell through my chocolate sauce  :-))

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 11:57:09 am »
I've never done the cold water hot water thing and haven't had a problem! So sorry you've been disappointed. Perhaps bi-carb soda does the trick if using straight after chopping onion.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 01:59:03 pm »
Debetha does your seal have a clear edge to it?  If so it is one of the new ones.  They are fantastic seals in preventing liquids from leaking out, but they do seem to be retaining smells.  I am sure that HO in Australia is reporting it - it must be happening all over the TM world as they are centrally made, so something will have to be done about it you would think.  My suggestion would be to buy an additional one to have one for savoury & one for sweet.  I don't think you'll completely get rid of the smell from what I gather......Have you told your consultant? The more complaints received, the more there is likely to be a response.

Good luck!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 11:01:28 pm »
I noticed that difference when I received my new bowl JZ but I have 3 of the original plain black ones so I will make sure I use one of them if cooking smelly food.  I never had a problem with the plain ones and was wondering why, all of a sudden the newcomers were having smelly seals.  It all points to this new type of seal then so I also would suggest you all complain about it and maybe they will go back to the original.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 01:36:04 am »
Didn't even know there was a different seal. My TMX is 2 yrs old & I replaced my seal at 12 months & think I need to do it again. If I make a drink it leaks out everywhere. Maybe I should just but another bowl  ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 03:30:02 am »
i can't say i have sniffed it...they say ignorance is bliss  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:20 am »
Oh that is interesting to know JaneeZee.  Perhaps I need one of those new seals for our morning juices and smoothies.  I get little leaks when I wizz it to speed 10.  Or perhaps I just need a whole new bowl too.  ;D

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 08:17:21 am »
VHJ it's probably a good idea to get a new seal if your liquids are leaking at high speed.  As I mentioned before, the new ones are clear & black as opposed to all  black & they came in around 4-6 months ago from memory.  I replaced mine after 2 years & got an old one then I got a new one as an incentive. DH was complaining that ours leaked when he washed it so I started using the new seal but in light of the "smell factor" I now use the old one for savoury stuff & the new one for sweet.

Chelsea, you might want a new bowl but it's a lot cheaper to check whether a new seal solves the issue!!!!

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 10:29:45 am »
Yes it is one of the new ones - was wondering why I had this "new" problem!
Will investigate a new seal
Cheers
Deb
deb

loving my tmx!