Author Topic: Leaky Lid  (Read 11923 times)

Offline Casper

• View Profile
Leaky Lid
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:47:49 am »
Hi everyone,

I was washing the bowl today after wizzing up a delicious fruity dream, and water started leaking out of the side of the bowl where the lid meets the bowl.  As I recall, this is the second time it's happened.  The first time, I reported the problem to our consultant, and the seal was replaced.  Everything was fine after that.  Until today that is.

When the seal was replaced, and it fixed the problem, I just put it down to being a once-off unusual hiccup which can happen with complex kitchen gizmos.  Since this has happened again, I am starting to think perhaps this is not the case.

Has anyone else found this problem with their Thermomix?

Cheers,

Casper.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Leaky Lid
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:13:18 am »
Casper how old is your machine and what type of seal is it? Is it possible there was a little raspberry seed making the seal not sit flat against the rim of the bowl?

The usual is 2-3 yrs for replacing a seal unless it has come into contact with a sharp knife or hot surface
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:35 am »
The machine is probably the better part of 2 to 3 years old.  The first seal seemed to die after close on 12 months.

There wouldn't have been a raspberry seed stuck in there because I cleaned everything manually in the sink after I noticed the leak.  I have experimented with it a little for the last hour with no success.  Even if I fill the bowl half full of water and just blitz it briefly with the turbo button, it still leaks out after the first press.

I inspected the seal for any nicks and it seems perfectly intact.  Are these seals considered consumable items?

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »
Hi Casper, do you have one of the "old" style seals which are totally black in colour (I suspect so).  They are much more rigid than the new ones.  I found the same with mine & couldn't see any problems but found that it was actually split horizontally in the centre of the seal (I hope this makes sense).  It was really difficult to find but a new seal fixed it.

I thnk the older less flexible ones get damaged eg if you try & push the lid onto the bowl without it being in place properly & in a hurry slightly force it.  I'm sure that's how mine got split.

Offline Casper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 12:49:29 pm »
Yes my seal is all black in colour. I checked the seal for splits where you indicated yours was split, but I couldn't see anything at all.  I remember this was also the case when the first seal went.

You mentioned that the all black seal is the old style seal.  What is the new style seal like?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »
The new seal has a softer flexible edge to it. I have gone through a couple of seals in my machine - though I do use it an awful lot  :-))

Even the most smallest split will cause your lid to leak because of the power of the TMX and the force that the liquid is being moved around in the bowl.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:33:30 pm »
Hi Casper.  I am on my 3rd lid seal in 2yrs.  I now have the new more flexible seal and it is working llike a dream.  I have noticed on the new Thermomix machine that they are recommending that people replace their lid seal every 12mths to 2yrs.  When I first got my Thermomix I took the seal out to clean nearly every time I used my TM.  I think this contributed to the problems I was having with the seals wearing out.  I do use my TM usually 4-5 time a day though, so I am not surprised that the seals have gone. If your Tm is leaking then it is very important to replace it asap as any leakages down the side of your machine can end up in the motor housing unit and that can cause big issues. The other possibility is that your TM jug may have a little ding in the rim of it.  If it has this could be causing the seal not to work.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 01:28:48 am »
*bumping*

I have always had issues with my lid leaking, I've had it just over 12mths and it leaks every time I wash it, last night it leaked soup all down the back and down the front (as usual) it seems to leak out of where the lid clicks into lock (on both sides, the liquid will pool and then run down the TMX) I have had the seal replaced with the new kind but it still does it. Can anyone make any suggestions?
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 01:54:26 am »
I have always had issues with my lid leaking, I've had it just over 12mths and it leaks every time I wash it, last night it leaked soup all down the back and down the front (as usual) it seems to leak out of where the lid clicks into lock (on both sides, the liquid will pool and then run down the TMX) I have had the seal replaced with the new kind but it still does it. Can anyone make any suggestions?

I think either your lid is faulty or you may not be clicking the seal properly into the lid. If you are still in contact with your consultant I would ask them to help you sort out what is going wrong. Good luck  :)

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:30:25 am »
Hi babymaker.  Don't want to panic you however - it's pretty important to get your leak looked at and sorted as liquid can leak down and into the motor casing unit inside your TM and can create other problems there.  Your consultant should be able to help sort it out.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:59:21 am »
I was making lemonade the other day in front of a visitor and was very embarrassed when liquid went everywhere.  Just laughed it off saying I probably needed a new seal so got my second bowl out of the cupboard and used that lid - no problems, not a drop. I then discovered the first one had NO seal in it at all, no wonder it was so messy - it had obviously come off and was lying in the bottom of the cupboard.  I never check my lids to see if the seal is in as they always are but somehow this one had become dislodged. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:19:31 am »
I don't think it's me, it always happens, even with a new seal, I think it's my lid.
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 07:46:21 am »
Another thing to check too is that you are not over filling your bowl. The max fill line is the II mark on the jug. I would certainly get in contact with your consultant Babymaker and if you don't have one then contact HO for a new one. You need to be able to get this sorted  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:49:26 am »
Judy, rofpmsl!!!

I get occasional leaks but I find it usually means I need to pull the seal off and give everything a good wash, I think either it's got dirty or just come out a teeny bit with use.  Works fine after that so don't think it's an actual seal issue (more a lazy owner).

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 01:07:50 pm »
Faffa, this is happening when I do the 20sec wash, so cold tap water just over the top of the blades :/ I will contact head office tomorrow, I've stopped doing the 20 sec wash but it is a pain in the bum.