Author Topic: The Happy Thread  (Read 1030831 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: The Happy Thread
« Reply #2610 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:44 am »
Ah yes Gert, but yours will hold more than mine, and probably easier to wash.   :D :D ;D

Marie

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: March 11, 2013, 06:43:19 am »
Gert that is amazing. I do have lots of stuff but I do use the 'good' stuff every day. I inherited lots of crystal and Royal Doulton from Mum and I had a reasonable collection myself. Our everyday glassware is crystal and we use the good china on a daily basis.
I probably wouldn't de clutter but I do believe in using 'the good stuff'. I just wish we broke more as at this rate it will last at least 100 years.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:16 am »
When you go to a place like that Gretchen, it certainly does make you wonder why people are such hoarders.  What amazes me is that when these people who don't have room to put a cup of coffee on the kitchen table for visitors go into other homes which are tidy and uncluttered, why are they not inspired to go home and do the same to their place.  It sounds as if you have had a great tidy up, is DH still there and not pack in the sallies box too  ;)

I have a toast rack that was given to my grand-parents from the army as a wedding present. There must be plenty just like this around but I have never seen another one in any antique shop I've ever been in - maybe everyone is holding onto theirs.  I used to use it but DH was horrified as he knows me well and thought it should be kept in the cupboard to just look at if I want to pass it down  :-))  Must say I don't really need to use one as breakfast in this house is a very casual, quick meal and I am the only one who has toast for breakfast.  Maybe I can bring it out when CC comes to stay.
I'll look forward to using your toast rack when I come to stay Judy  ;) ;D  :D

Really admire your decluttering Gert Well done. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: March 11, 2013, 09:37:55 am »
At least you don't have to be careful with yours Gretchen.  Marie yours is much older and more valuable than mine, look after it - it is a lovely piece.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: March 12, 2013, 04:04:55 am »
I love your toast rack, JD. Who knows? It could be worth a lot of money as war memorabilia.

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #2615 on: March 12, 2013, 10:09:07 am »
Gert, looks like you're inspiring a few of us (including me) to do a bit of a cleanout.
Although I'd LOVE to have pics of my grandparents and their families. I'd keep those. My Aunt found a diary just last week from my great grandpa writing about the day my Pa was born, a blessing of a son from God after 6 daughters. It's so interesting and amazing to think that kind of thing still exists.

Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: March 12, 2013, 10:18:24 am »
Alexis I spent some time today looking at toast racks on the net but saw nothing like mine or Marie's (Emme) and believe me, there are plenty of toast rack designs out there.  It's never been our luck to have anything old worth getting excited about  :-))

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:41 am »
Well at least my 50 cent crap rack stretches for thicker  toast. I saw a lovely ceramic Maxwell and Williams one today for $15.

I chickened  out Re the photos . Can't be bothered so  emptied out the cupboard and put all the albums on the bottom shelf at the back. Decided to leave that problem to the next generation . Tossed some more bits and pieces out and now have lots of shelves and drawers empty. It is soooooo liberating. I am on a  high of  having absolutely nothing  I do not use or really value at the moment. I did find 46 serviettes in various colours. I am still thinking about  them as I never use paper but ............  Last year I did give a friend about 90 serviettes. They were the toss outs of a restaurant and irresistible  at the time I bought them. I try NOT to buy more but get sucked in. Of course they must be no iron .

Moving on to the garage maybe more of a problem with DH having a say but really I would like him  to donate stuff to the Men's  Shed.  There is not much of my stuff in there except my distillery stuff.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: March 12, 2013, 11:43:39 am »
Gert the Men's Shed might LOVE your distillery stuff, but they probably then wouldn't be able to use the machinery. >:(

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: March 12, 2013, 11:45:44 am »
Gert the Men's Shed might LOVE your distillery stuff, but they probably then wouldn't be able to use the machinery. >:(

So true. I was thinking of donating DH's stuff and keeping my distillery gear! He has drills and things he does not use and about 1.000 light globes.

Gett
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: March 12, 2013, 11:06:34 pm »
I'm sure the Men's Shed would greatly appreciate the gesture Gert ;D

I'm going to have a big clean out of everything I don't use today ;D Mainly because there is a mouse frequenting my room and I figured if I'm going to clean up after it and set some traps, I might as well chuck out some junk at the same time ;)

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:25 pm »
All of my cupboards need a big clean out apart from my pantry which I did last week.
I always keep things on the off chance that maybe one day I will use it and of course never do.
It's amazing the junk that we keep.
No time this week but next week I will get started on them and yes it will be very liberating.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: March 13, 2013, 01:09:59 am »
I am happy that I finish my Beetroot juice testing this week.
I am extra happy because I'm going to Singapore on Monday and get to eat lots of delicious tropical fruit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: March 13, 2013, 01:16:37 am »
2 very good reasons to be happy Cookie.  I guess you will be off beetroot for a while now  ;)  Your yearly Singapore trip comes around so quickly, have a great time.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: March 13, 2013, 02:37:59 am »
Have a lovely trip Cookie