Author Topic: Where to start!  (Read 6170 times)

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
Where to start!
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:40:09 am »
Hi guys

just back from the naturopath who has diagnosed DD1 (3yrs) and me with intolerances - not too many but the most difficult ones of course. Esp as I was really enjoying all the baking in the TM

So, feeling a bit overwhelmed esp as DD2 (5mths) had me start the day at 5.30am then not sleep more than a few minutes all day so my brain is fried.

looks like we both need to avoid eggs and wheat/gluten, spelt

oats are ok
buckwheat ok
rice ok

i also need to avoid almonds and peanuts, whereas DD is ok but can't have all that for pre-school where they are nut free

dairy not good for me (though goats milk and likely A2 or possibly raw milk ok) - all fine for DD though

All tips on where to start and great recipes that never fail to please a fussy 3yo with a sweet tooth and a severely sleep deprived mum with no time to herself would be much appreciated. breads, cakes, and general other snacks and suggestions

thanks so much :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:46:17 am by ladybird »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Where to start!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:28 am »
ladybird, you poor thing.   first,  try and get some sleep.   You will cope with the intolerances.   plenty of good suggestions here.   "Organ" make a good substitute for egg, (grand daughter) couldn't have eggs for her first 6 years.   the KFC recipe can be made using 1/2 potato flour and 1/2 cornflour. No egg in this as you use butter milk. Could use rice milk and a little rice flour instead of buttermilk.  others will have better and plenty of suggestions. 

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:08:15 am »
Quirky Jo's recipes are wonderful to start with!  Check her blog out as well.  :)

I've never used egg replacer for my three year old's allergy and I tend to just leave them out in many recipes or add applesauce or mashed banana if I can get away with it instead.  ;)

Good luck on your new journey - it will seem very overwhelming to start with but you WILL get your head around it and feel much better for it!  :-*

The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:03 am »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis ladybird.  Guess now it is just a lot of research etc to find out what to cook, did the Naturopath give you any information regarding books, recipes, etc.  Surely they can't just send you away without some ideas to help you get started.  The girls on here in the same boat as you are great in sharing their knowledge and recipes so I'm sure they will all step up and give you some help.  Good luck on your new journey and yes I agree with Chookie, sleep is essential so hopefully the little one will oblige and let you get some rest - we all cope better with life's difficulties if we can.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:24:47 pm »
thanks all :)

yes i am already a fan of quirkyjo though i didnt think i needed her special options - will pay more attention now!

we were all in bed by 8.30 last night so even though I woke to feed and was up around 5.45 feeling much better today. Can't do that everyday though ot I would get nothing done...

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 05:57:03 am »
quick question - spelt is a problem for me apparently. no mention either way on kamut and I bought a huge sack of it recently  - any idea if this should be ok or not? Or even at least a bit better than wheat while I make the transition?

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:43 am »
Hi Ladybird, sorry to hear your news  :( But don't despair, there's some amazing things you can do despite diet restrictions! When you're busy, just focus on meat and veges and fruit - you can't go too far wrong there!

Yes, Kamut wouldn't be good either if you can't have spelt - they're very similar. Both have gluten. So can you have cashews? You could make cashew milk/cream, rice-cashew milk, and lots of other dairy substitutes (see my Dairy Substitutes page)

The gf pizza bases are a good quick-bread and has no eggs - you can make them thin for pizza, or thick in an oiled pan for foccacia (just working on a recipe for that), and the gf bread recipe in the gf tmx cookbook is great if you use egg replacer.

A good basic gf, df, egg free, cake recipe is this one: Chocolate Banana Cake.  And there's also this gf, df, ef Ginger cake that's yummy too.

For bikkies, you could use my gingerbread men recipe - that makes really crispy, tasty bikkies - just use egg replacer instead of the egg, and leave out the ground almonds (it's only 40g - add a little more flour if needed), and roll the dough into logs and freeze, then cut off rounds to cook as you need them. (Makes a lot of dough.)  The gf baking mix at the start of the recipe is a really good one - if you can get those ingredients, it's better than the White Wings gf flour for things like bikkies and cakes.  If you can't get sorghum flour, try brown rice flour.

Hope that's helpful - if I think of something else I'll let you know.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:09:54 pm »
Here are some blogs/websites I follow (other than Quirky Jo's)
www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com
http://themommybowl.com
www.simplysugarandglutenfree.com
www.thewholegang.org
http://glugleglutenfree.com

Some of these are just gluten free, some are gluten and sugar free, and some are gluten and dairy free. But they will also link you up to others pages/sites as well. Good luck and hope you all start feeling better soon.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:37:56 pm »
I love gluten free girl too! Check her site  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.