Author Topic: How do you store your herbs and spices?  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
How do you store your herbs and spices?
« on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:27 am »
I just have all my jarred dried herbs and spices in the pantry - the ones in commercial jars.
All the packet - and mostly Indian spices are in a few air tight containers.
But it's mostly the commercial containers that I am thinking about. They are piled into a shelf of the pantry, to find something I lift every (why is it always the last!!!) container to find the last one.
Used to have a wall unit in the UK to hold them all so you could see what there was.
So where do you store yours?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do you store your herbs and spices?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:55:18 pm »
Zan this is a small selection of my herbs - these have come from packets. Those in jars are in another large, deeper plastic container and I write on the lid in texta so that I don't have to lift every single jar up each time I want something.  I find old lids from fridge crispers make perfect trays to hold my spices.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:00:22 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:43:20 pm »
LOL mine sounds like yours! I have to get motivated and organised.  :-))

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42:51 pm »
I have just moved mine to decor baby food containers - they stack nicely, and are a good size for bagged spices. After buying all of these i found decor spice trays at howards storage world - containers about the size of the commercial jars and all in an easy to use tray. I think you can view them online at their website

Offline AMH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:56:13 pm »
Most of mine are still in commercial jars.  Ikea sells spice jars but I haven't tried those.  My parents drink coffee that comes in airtight containers so I use the empties for bagged spices.

Howard's storage world sells wall mountable racks that fit the commercial spice jars, but also sell those 'stairs' that you can use to stack things in the cupboard so you can see.  I really like the idea of the box that you pull out tho-a label maker or a permanent marker would mean that you could label the tops and then see what you've got!

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 11:16:04 pm »
Think a trip to Howard's might be a good idea.
Got to do something as spent 5 mins (seriously I went through what I thought was every jar 3 times!) to find the paprika last night. And even worse when I did it was empty so had to get the bag out and fill it up, so could have just got the bag out in the first place, lol.
I had thought about labelling the lids but wasn't sure if I could fit the names on.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:36:23 pm »
I have a nice Decor tray of  10 tall square containers which hold quite a bit. I use that for decanting ordinary stuff. I like glass for others and use mustard jars which line up nicely and are a good size.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 02:14:33 am »
The ones that I use often,  are in a draw in the kitchen, with the name in the lid.   Mostly small glass jars.   Ones used infrequently,  but handy to have on hand, are in plastic containers in the Pantry.

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:19:20 am »
I've got a bench top thingo that holds 20 jars and spins like a lazy susan.  The jars came with the holder so I don't use the commerical jars anymore apart from the ones that don't fit in the thingo - they're on the bench beside it.

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 03:08:59 am »
i was only thinking last night as i was trying to find three spice bottles in a sea of what feels like 30 bottles that they should come with the names printed on their lids (the ones you buy from woolies or coles) its starting to drive me mad and i have though of using my label maker but it wont fit on the lid nicely  >:( I am moving in 5 wks so will wait till at new house then may invest in the inner door mounting spice rack from howards, but only if holds the larger bottles too.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 05:41:46 am »
Hi I just buy the commercial ones from the supermarket. Howards has an expandable spice rack which sets next to my TM very convenient. It is made of wood probably holds about 30 - 40 bottles.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 05:51:24 am »
My DH made me a 'stair' that I can put my spices on. It is really good. Except now I have too  many for the stair.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 06:33:39 am »
Since the Indian cookbook came out, we have had to increase our herbs somewhat.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:38:48 am »
These are what I use, and I'm going to have to buy more of these little Decor containers because I never seem to have the herbs/spice that the recipe asks for (oh for the day when a recipe says "chuck one whole packet in" so I would be done with it  :D) As you can see to the right, the extra bottles are starting to mount up, and that doesn't even show the other packets I have).
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 06:42:59 am »
Put the foil etc in another draw and you have room for a few more rows of spices CP63  ;D ;D