Author Topic: Banana Cake with cream cheese frosting – with photo  (Read 56608 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Banana Cake with cream cheese frosting – with photo
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:26 am »
Banana Cake with cream cheese frosting – with photo
Adapted from a recipe I have made many times – original original recipe Good Taste - September 2007 p 22, posted on www.taste.com.au

Ingredients
125g butter
220g castor sugar
2 large overripe bananas
2 eggs
1 teasp vanilla essence
100ml buttermilk or make your own 1 tbsp vinegar + 1 cup of milk
225g SR flour
½ teasp bicarb soda

Cream Cheese Frosting
125g cream cheese
50g butter
230g icing sugar
2 teasp buttermilk

Preparation

Set oven 180°C. Line or grease cake tin – (while I used deep slice tray today the cake works well in a square tin, muffin tin or round cake pan.  The banans today were a little on the small side so I didn't have the usual quantity of mixture).
Mash banana in TMX 20sec speed 5-6. Add butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla to TMX with banana – mix together 20-30 sec speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl
Add buttermilk, flour and bicarb soda, process 20 sec – speed 5- try not to overmix.
Pour mixture into tin, bump or shake the tin to settle mixture.
Bake 50 mins or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into cake.
Ice with cream cheese frosting when cake is cool
Cream cheese frosting
Add all ingredients to TMX and mix 30-40 sec – speed 6 (scraping down sides of bowl after 20sec)

Members' comments

pinkscrapbooker - Best banana cake I have made ever, and no yucky banana mashing equipment to clean up at the end. Works really well with cream cheese icing!

Caroline J - Made these last night, and iced them this morning- and quickly sent them to work with DH!  They are sooooo yummy, I could not be trusted at home all day with them in the house.  Great recipe, the icing is divine! I didn't have any buttermilk, so I substituted with plain fat free yoghurt, and they turned out beautifully. 5/5
I love this as cupcakes.  I reduce the sugar to 190g and it's perfect.

rubyslippers - best banana cake ever!! Thanks Johnro.

Nay-nay - My little girl (9yr) made this today!! She has a banana cake recipe but think this is her new fav - thanks.

cookie1 - Very nice.

Chookie - they ate it before I got a chance to ice it.  I cooked it in those small ,fancy paper  cooking forms. Thanks Johnro.  New favourite banana cake recipe.

CC - Wonderful recipe johnro. Probably the best I ever tasted, DH thought it great as well. Didn't ice it as DH isn't keen on cream cheese icing. Thank you for posting it.
I have also cooked it as a tray bake in a fan oven at 160oC for 30 minutes.  

maddy - Yummy.  I used 3 small banana's, quick buttermilk (1 TBSP vinegar in 1 cup of milk), and cooked in a lamington pan for 40 mins. (like a banana slice). Thanks for posting it Johnro.......it's lovely.
This mixture is also great for cupcakes. Baked on 175oC for 20 minutes. Made 18 cupcakes.
Made into mini cakes in mini muffin pans, for Hubby's afternoon tea at cricket.....dropped sugar to 190g also and baked for 15 minutes. Made 43.

For the icing....
I increased icing sugar to 250g
decreased butter to 25 g
125g cream cheese & 2 tsp. buttermilk.
Made icing first, and popped in fridge.  When cakes out the oven to cool, I took icing out fridge, and it was then perfect consistency for piping.

kmrodgers25 - I hate banana cake, but had some overripe bananas and gave this a go. Absolutely yum!! I am a convert. Thanks so much Robyn. Now I have somewhere for all my overripe bananas to go.

Yvette - delish, everyone loved it, thanks. This is my favourite banana cake.

lucky - banana cake in the oven now, and wow the batter was awesome!! Can just imagine how good the cake is going to be. Thank you.  It's a huge hit here with all who try it!!

Lellyj - I can't believe how delicious it is.  Much nicer than many other recipes I've tried.  Thanks so much for sharing!

Well I can confirm that you can double this recipe successfully.  I thought this cake would fit in the tmx bowl. It did, although as it was almost up to capacity, it did take a bit longer to mix the flour in, although I still tried to do it as quickly as possible and not overmix.  My bananas were medium to largish in size, so I used 5, everything else I just doubled.  It made a slab tin size and it rose up quite a bit out of the tin.  I double lined the tin, in case the edges dried out before the middle cooked but it still only took about 50 minutes to bake.

CP - Can I say that the Banana Cake is absolutely delightful and the more the bananas are black the sugary they are - hence sweeter!

Sandip - it was superb. Great recipe, great taste.

85model - YUM!!!! AAA+++ recipe this went well and smells divine!! Wait till DH gets home it will be devoured completely!! well done !!

spektor - Delicious! Certainly satisfies any sweet craving. It was the first cake I have made from scratch in many many years.

Bonsai - Made this as cupcakes and didn't have cream cheese so used creme fraiche. I put the icing in a piping bag in the fridge overnight as cakes were still warm at bed time. Super easy to ice before work and my team made short work of them. A great recipe.

Denzelmum - Baked this yesterday, with yoghurt instead of buttermilk and no icing.  Half of the cake is gone in one evening.

Brumington - Pre TMX days this was my favorite banana cake recipe. It produces a really moist tasty cake. I loved the ease at making it in the TMX.  It was whipped up in no time at all.  I add cocoa to the frosting which gives it a nice flavour.

Nighteyes Fitz -  Wow! So yum. Just like the Sara Lee cake only BETTER!! I made it with whole meal flour and it is still so delicious. This is seriously THE BEST banana cake I have ever made. I make it all the time. I get requests to bring it to afternoon teas, make it for cake stalls and my husband begs me to make it for work. He took it to a board games meeting yesterday and he came home with an empty plate. I just love it! 

SuzieG - Made this as cupcakes, reduced sugar and baked for 20 mins. Made 24. Absolutely delightful, devoured by work colleagues in one day! Will become a regular for sure thank you!!

dc - let me say it is the best banana cake I have had. Could reduce the sugar a little but that's only because I try and use as little sugar as possible. Very yummy!!!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:55:15 am by judydawn »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Banana Cake with cream cheese frosting – with photo
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:01:12 am »
Thanks for that.  Banana cake with cream cheese topping is always a favourite
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:24:01 am »
This looks delicious. I think I saw it when I was reading the Taste bake challenge. I'll definitely try it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:19:58 am »
yum will try this soon

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:11:34 pm »
Best banana cake I have made ever, and no yucky banana mashing equipment to clean up at the end. Works really well with cream chees icing!

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:09:00 am »
Made these last night, and iced them this morning- and quickly sent them to work with DH!  They are sooooo yummy, I could not be trusted at home all day with them in the house.  Great recipe, the icing is divine!

I didn't have any buttermillk, so I substituted with plain fat free yoghurt, and they turned out beautifully.

5/5  ;D ;D ;D

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:12 am »
Made this today.

BEST.BANANA.CAKE.EVER!!!

Thanks Johnro

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:36:02 pm »
My little girl (9yr) made this today!! She has a banana cake recipe but think this is her new fav - thanks  ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 01:33:55 am »
Made this a couple of days ago. Very nice. :-* :-* :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:41:22 am »
Made this yesterday,  they ate it before I got a chance to ice it.  I cooked it in those small ,fancy paper  cooking forms. Thanks Johnro.  New fav.  Banana Cake recipe. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »
Wonderful recipe johnro.Probably the best I ever tasted, DH thought it great as well.Didn't ice it as DH isn't keen on cream cheese icing.Thank you for posting it. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 10:21:30 pm »
Some great reviews Johnro  8)
My oven is on, and I'm going to hop off here and make it now.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 02:19:38 am »

Yummy :-*

I used 3 small banana's, quick buttermilk (1 TBSP vinegar in 1 cup of milk), and cooked in a lamington pan for 40 mins. (like a banana slice).

Thanks for posting it Johnro.......it's lovely  :D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 04:25:55 am »
Thanks everybody, I am pleased that you liked the conversion.  In fact, I had forgotten that I had posted this recipe consequently the reason for no response to earlier comments after you all had made it, apologies for lack of comments.  Cheers - Robyn  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline kmrodgers25

• View Profile
    • My Scrappy Stuff
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 03:42:56 am »
I hate banana cake, but had some overripe bananas and gave this a go.
Absolutely yum!! I am a convert.  :D
Thanks so much Robyn. Now I have somewhere for all my overripe bananas to go
Kelly