Author Topic: Types of flours for bread?  (Read 31444 times)

Offline darls

• View Profile
Types of flours for bread?
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:22:57 am »
I am making some orders and would like to know what flours I could look at for bread-making among other baking stuff.

- Premium Bakers White Flour
- Whole Wheat Self Raising Flour
- Unbleached White Self Raising Flour
- Spelt Wholemeal Bread Mix
- Seven Grain Bread Mix
- Seven Grain Kibble Mix
- Whole Spelt Flour
- Lightsift Spelt Flour
- Lightsift Wheat Flour
- Buckwheat Flour

I am new to this kind of baking so I am pretty open to suggestions and comments about those flours. Such as what each is good for, any other uses, etc.

I only have until tomorrow to put in my final order - last min gal, that's me! ;)

Cheers with thanks!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Re: Types of flours for bread?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:50:54 am »
Hi darls,
I don't use wheat, I just use spelt, rye, barley, etc, and gluten free flours.

I never buy self raising flour, as it's easier to have one type of flour in the cupboard/freezer than two - all you have to do is add 2 tsp baking powder per one cup of flour to make it self raising.

don't bother buying buckwheat flour - buy the whole grain (make sure it's hulled) - it's very quick to grind, and grinds to a fine flour in about 30 seconds.

I wouldn't buy wholemeal flours at all - just buy the grain and grind your own, plus buy some sifted, unbleached white flour to add to it to make your bread lighter.  (I use 250g spelt grain + 450g unbleached plain spelt flour to make two loaves of bread.)  You'll find it cheaper to buy the grain instead of the wholemeal flour, and it's better to grind your own as you need it, as it goes rancid quickly once it's ground, especially if not kept in the freezer.

Hope that helps! :) Jo
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:17:45 am »
Darls, you might want to check what's in the bread mixes.  Some have undesirable additives.  So you may prefer to buy the seeds and mix yourself - that way you get the seeds you like in the quantity you like.  Most of the bread recipes on here use flour not bread mix, and it might be cheaper too.

I'm just starting to add seeds to my bread to introduce it slowly to my kids (and husband), rather than have them wonder what's wrong with their bread.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:36:24 am »
Darls I am fairly conservative with my baking of bread. I buy white Bakers' Flour, rye grains that I mill into flour and lots of seeds that I add to the bread. eg pumpkin, sesame, linseed, sunflower and poppy.  I also have a ready supply of wheat grain.

I guess it depends if you have any allergies or preferences in your family. There is really no need to spend the extra any buy bread mixes.
Good luck with your order.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline darls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:44:59 pm »
Oh... thank you! It helps alot really. I am for with reducing how much to store, etc.

So what type of wheat grain do I look out for? I am happy to buy grains rather than flour.

Its all organic and some biodynamic stuff so I am not so worried about the nasty stuff in them but still I know what you mean about checking out what's in the mix.

From the list, there are:

Wheat Grain
Wheat Kibbled (Cracked)
Buckwheat Grain
Buckwheat Grain Hulled
Buckwheat Kernals
Spelt Rolled
Spelt Grain

Like some one above, I have to introduce the idea of variety in breads to my family very slowly. I love Bakers Delight's Cape Seed Loaf! But not sure what's in it! :D

Any more helpful suggestions? I think I get to order every 4 months so that means I buy some now and buy some more later in June...

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Cheers!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:10:08 pm »
I would suggest some wheat grain, some spelt grain and some buckwheat grain hulled, as well as plain unbleached wheat and spelt flours.  You don't need kibbled grain or rolled grain for bread making.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 03:10:31 am »
Whole grains are wonderful, but just remember they can be harmful and cause problems in the gut (and other parts of the body and brain) if not soaked or sprouted before baking etc.  It is a bit of a hastle to do this but the health benefits of using properly prepared whole grains are enormous.  Here is an article which will help explain:

http://www.westonaprice.org/Be-Kind-to-Your-Grains...And-Your-Grains-Will-Be-Kind-To-You.html

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 03:17:32 am »
Chelsea, I'm a bit confused by the article.  Is it saying that we have to soak or sprout all grain so it's not harmful?  Where does that leave us with bread?  I must have missed something.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 04:17:03 am »
I think Chelsea is talking about using whole grains unground in your bread. Once ground into flour the grains are digestible.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 04:44:16 am »
Just to clarify I am referring to freshly milled whole grains that are to be used in bread and general baking. Soaking involves wholegrain flours as well as wholegrains.  The same elements are still in there that can cause the problems (blocking our bodies absorbing nutrients) and need to be soaked regardless of whether they are milled into flour or in their wholegrain state.  :)

Breadmaking using wholegrains or wholegrain flour really should be started the day before.  The grains should be milled if desired and then left to soak at room temperature overnight in a little of the water from the bread recipe (with a teaspoon of whey - the liquid off the top of cultured yoghurt or apple cidar vinegar). It should be like a thick batter or paste.  This is then added with the other ingredients the next day to make your normal bread.

I realise that this is something that we don't often hear about, but it is so important.  Wholegrains should really come with a warning - they are amazing and so beneficial but only if prepared properly.  :)

Here is another site which will explain it further:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/04/whole-grains-grinding-soaking.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:03:16 am by Chelsea (Thermie Groupie) »

Offline darls

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:13:46 pm »
Thanks - was gone for a while, reading all about soaking grains. More stuff I had no idea about!

Am thinking I will just order whole wheat grain for now and when next order comes around I'll see and add spelt grain. But like suggested, I will just get spelt flour this time. One at a time, eh?

Thanks chelsea re soaking and such links.

I am still trying to get to the idea of soaking wheat BEFORE milling it - I am so used to it being dry before doing anything with it, kwim? Any difference in volume to bread making with use of grain and flour?

Some stated that we'd need to add more fresh milled flour to provide volume? Or am I reading it wrong?  :-))

Once again, thanks!

Cheers!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:10:11 pm »
It is a lot better for you to soak the grains/freshly milled flour - I must admit I don't always do it because I forget to soak them ahead of time and am in a hurry!  but it's definitely better for you.  Darls, you can just soak the freshly milled flour in the water for the recipe, or if you soak the whole grains, you just grind them up in the soaking water (which should be the same as the recipe amount I think) like you would a blender batter cake.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 03:08:06 am »
Yes Darls.  It works well to mill your grain and then soak.  I made a yummy breakfast bake this morning which involved soaking the oats overnight.  I will post it soon while I can still understand my scribbles. :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:23 am »
All sounfs like a good argument  for sour dough bread which stands for 18 hours over night ?  I would welcome any comments.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 03:24:13 am »
Yes - I've read that sourdough is excellent for this very reason.  :)