Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 510712 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #435 on: October 21, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »
Just finished reading The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - an amazing and disturbing classic.  Now I need something light to read after that one!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 22, 2012, 06:05:37 am »
Cookie, finished the Tess Geritsen, would agree with what was written on the back, deep, dark,very disturbing.  Could not stop until I finished it last night.  Will look for her other novels.  Have quite a stack to get through now including Lee Child(Killing Floor) (Thanks Gert) Jo Nesbo (The Snowman), Keigo Higashino,(The Devotion of Suspect X) David Baldacci (Simple Genius), Ken Follet (Winter of the World)
Marie

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 22, 2012, 07:04:33 am »
Try Camilla Lackberg too. She writes good books.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 22, 2012, 07:21:57 am »
Try Camilla Lackberg too. She writes good books.

Oh yes.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 22, 2012, 08:46:00 am »
Thanks, will do

Marie :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 22, 2012, 12:23:44 pm »
Cookie, I've now got 3 of Camilla Lackburg's waiting for me.  :)
I'm part wy through The Arrivals which I'm enjoying, but I'll have to put it aside for the Thirteenth Take by Dianne Setterfield as this is my new book club book.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 22, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »
I am almost finished the casual vacancy by JK Rowling.  Enjoying it but don't think there would have been that hype if written by someone else, it nothing really out of the ordinary.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 22, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »
I have read the sample chapter, and am sitting on the fence ATM. For an ebook this is very expensive. Why should it be twice the price and then some? It just starts to set a precedent for other popular authors to command more than $10 for an electronic book. *sniff*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 22, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »
I agree with you CP about ebooks.  At least if you buy a paperback once you have purchased it, it is yours to do what you want with it which in my case is to lend or give it to someone else. Why shouldn't you be able to forward your ebooks after all you have paid for them and in many cases the same price!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:55 pm »
This one tho is $24 which is unheard of for non fiction. It's the best time to protest and say NO

We had a bookshop near us close down after 10 years. Possibly probably due to the advancement of being able to download ebooks. Right to closing  day he only ever offered 20% maximum discount at the end when he was forced to, even with ebooks I probs spent near $800/yr there. All cookbooks were heat sealed which was great for me - no crumbling or drooling. He was such a sad sack that Im really glad that I don't have to pass his shop, look wistfully in the window, and then remember he never had a positive thing to say. I spend way much more on the Internet, he just got to me that I couldn't wAlk in his shop. One staff member who was an ex English teacher an passionate reader we used to have to hide between bookshelves in case we were discovered talking. Sad. She recommended some really worthwhile books that were thought provoking.

If we have the ability to choose our books based on price alone, and what format ie hardcover vs ebook so that no one loses however an ebook should be a helluva lot cheaper given environmental and cost wise factors. Staff reviews don't count as Byers will give a more honest opinion and there is no work involved given all the ework is there, and its just a click of the mouse.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2012, 07:20:51 am »
I have The Casual Vacancy with me but doubt I will read it while we are away I need something very light. DDdidnt really enjoy the story part of the book. She said the writing, descriptions etc were good but as a book she didn't rave about it. So I must get to it and see what I think.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2012, 07:32:33 am »
I am enjoying  The Vacency very much for just the writing and the characters.  It is definitely not light reading and I keep interrupting it to read another  not that  I am not liking it so much as I just don't want it to finish.

I am still saving up Jack Reacher. Dom't know  why. I keep downloading other stuff.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

*suzanne*

« Reply #447 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:37 am »
Patricia Cornwell has another book out so I'm going to download it this week sometime

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:36 am »
I bought that at Big W yesterday. For me it was cheaper ($20) than the ebook.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:11 am »
We are still paying more for e books than anyone. It is just so unfair. Blame it on the major publishers in Australia. I still am not buying paper books because of the paper waste.  I am reading more and more news on line as well for the same reason. I don't buy mags either but my DD does so I get the good gossip and fashion  stuff .

Gert