Author Topic: What to do with yoghurt???  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
What to do with yoghurt???
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:31:15 am »
Hi All, Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on how to use the yoghurt that didn`t work out? Like most of you who have tried making it, mine didn`t work either.  But I have made the dulce de leche and that tastes better than the can of condensed milk that I used to boil to make caramel. The first time I made it I used the full cream milk and long life cream and it worked so the next time I used 2% low fat long life milk and long life cream and it worked just the same. Bloody beautiful :-*
  With the yoghurt I was going to whip it up with some mango and maybe coconut essence and try to make some frozen slices. It would be interesting to see some of your suggestions.  Thanks Sandy

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with yoghurt???
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:20:36 am »
Sandy, I've used it as a substitute for buttermilk in baking and it's been fine.
I now use my easi-yo for yoghurt. I have a recipe that makes lovely plain yoghurt and you put it in the easi-yo to 'cook'. Let me know if you want it, it uses 1 litre of milk and some skim milk powder and yoghurt starter.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 01:35:24 am »
Thaks Cookie1. That would be great. When I made the yoghurt, after it was cooked I put it in the esi-yo but I only left it in there for about five hours when I should have maybe left it until it cooled down. How long do you leave yours in for? And do you put boiling water in the easy-yo to start with?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:31 am »
it needs to stay in the easiyo 8-24 hours
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:23:13 am »
I use cold water in the easi-yo and leave the flavoured sachets for 8 hours and the natural I make myself (milk etc ) I leave overnight.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:07 pm »
Well I would freeze it in small amounts and use it to make fresh instant ice-cream with frozen berries and bananas. We love ice-cream in our house, its our favourite dessert. Any dessert that goes wrong I make it into ice-cream. Some ice-creams are sooooo good, that the kids ask me to remake it ??? ??? ??? But can't remember how I made it go wrong in the first place to attempt to remake it again!! ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:06:07 pm »
LOL!!!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 01:34:45 am »
Bron, I understand where you are coming from, that has happened to me with savoury dish leftovers being added to something else and they are usually great.  Perhaps we need a recipe book entitled 'Best Ever Mistakes" ;D ;D ;D ;D     I might even have another go at yoghurt and when it goes wrong (again!) turn it into your ice-cream - sounds so nice.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 03:15:11 pm »
Oh believe me it really is delicious...better than Hagen Dags Strawberry cheesecake one ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:18 am »
Bron, I understand where you are coming from, that has happened to me with savoury dish leftovers being added to something else and they are usually great.  Perhaps we need a recipe book entitled 'Best Ever Mistakes" ;D ;D ;D ;D     

Like the idea - I regularly make sudden changes to dishes mid-cooking as things don't go how I had imagined.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.