Author Topic: Junket  (Read 24355 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Junket
« on: February 10, 2010, 08:20:05 am »
This is an old fashion dessert that has been lost in time but with TMX having the preset blood heat temp (37oC) it's easy peasy and super fast! Dessert can be made just as you're serving tea and chilled while your eatting and ready for after!
Junket
Number of People:4
Ingredients:
1L Milk
4 tsp sugar
1/4tsp of Junket Powder
Flavour of choice - some suggestions include:
  • Vanilla
    3 tsp coffee
    50g grated chocolate
    peel of 1 orange
    lemon peel
Toppings:
  • roasted coconut
    cinnamon or nutmeg
    grated chocolate
    peel
    fruit

Preparation:
Bring milk, flavour and sugar to blood heat temp 37oC speed 1
Have dessert glasses ready - this has to be done quick - mix junket with a little water (1tbsp) tip through TMX lid while on speed 2 for 2 seconds - QUICK pour milk into glasses and don't move glasses until set. Any big movement with these and the mix splits. Top with choice of Topping - Enjoy!  ;)
Tips/Hints: Any flavour works even coffee syrups and liquors
What's your favourite flavour??

Photos:

members' comments
bellesy - We're having this tonight and I've flavoured it with 1.5 tablespoons of strawberry Nesquik (as I miss those flavoured junket tablets).  It tastes just the way I remembered it! Using (full fat) flavoured milk instead of plain milk might also be a way to have a range of flavours.

JD - I like the sound of coffee junket andie.  Made the plain version today but it was pretty tasteless so next time will use some of Chookies iced-coffee syrup and see how that goes.

andiesenji - My dad always loved coffee-flavored junket. I didn't have a specific recipe, used espresso brewed in a moka pot, and mixed with full-cream milk to make a pint of liquid, sugar substitute (Splenda) because my dad was also diabetic - just to taste, perhaps a teaspoon full, heat the liquid just till it's warm. I dissolve one Junket Rennet tablet in a tablespoon of cold water, stir it into the milk/espresso mixture and pour it into custard cups. 
It sets rapidly and my dad always wanted to eat it as soon as it was set but the rest went into the fridge and when he would get up during the night, he always had one for a snack.
I've made a mocha junket and piled foamed milk on the top - I am not a big fan of sweetened whipped cream - and the foamed or frothed milk is light and airy with a milky taste that complements the mocha. 

Again, I don't have a recipe for it, just make the mocha to taste with espresso and milk to which I add cocoa mix until it tastes right and then I add the rennet dissolved in a tablespoon of cold water - one tablet to one pint of liquid which would be a little less than half a litre for you.

ILB - Well made this for dessert tonight as I've had the junket powder in the cupboard for nearly a year and hadn't tried it yet.  So thanks Nay Nay. We added some cocoa (next time I'd dissolve it properly) and DD loved it and told me a couple of times how delicious it was.  I made 1 Lt which is too much for us really, so will try a smaller qty next time.

Nay-nay - 500ml is plenty for 2 dessert glasses and only need 1/8 tsp of powder.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:33:51 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Junket
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:33:33 am »
I love the texture of junket.  Where do you buy junket powder though?  We used to use junket tablets back in the dim dark ages.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:38:40 am »
You could probably walk there JD http://www.simplyjunket.com.au/

They will provide you with local stockists

Well done nay-nay - I love junket too.  My brother used to chew each mouthful for ages !!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:16:12 am »
Thanks Thermomixer, yes I can walk to an IGA supermarket but in this weather this old girl isn't walking anywhere!  I would love to have seen your brother chewing junket  ??? ??? ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 01:03:55 pm »
Junket...............mmmmm a lot of memories there.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:55:08 pm »
I haven't had junket in years!!! Yummmmm
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:48:18 pm »
Your welcome!  ;) Yes I just picked up that brand in the link at my local IGA. It was much more expensive then I thought it would be - about 7-8 dollars but it does last. And only comes in powder not tablets like it used to.  :)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:10:28 am »
Junket brings back childhood memories.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:20 am »
For fifty years one of my favorite ice cream recipes is made with Junket rennet. 

I still buy the tablets, although I order mine from Amazon in the multi-pack because I also use it for cheese making and use quite a bit. 
Buying this way each package costs $2.20 and I get free 2nd day shipping.   One package costs $5.81 so the savings are significant.

I also buy the vegetarian liquid rennet to use when I am preparing foods for  vegetarians or vegans. 

I also have a very old Junket Rennet recipe book printed in 1940.   

There are a few recipes on line, like this site: http://oldrecipebook.com/junketrennetrecipes.shtml
Some of the other recipe sites have individual recipes that use Junket rennet but you have to dig to find them.

Back in the early-1960s  there was a recipe book in print for a very brief time titled Junket 'n Jello  but the two companies had legal differences and the book was yanked from bookstores and grocery stores where it was sold.   
Shortly afterward Jello expanded their line of puddings.  No reference to Junket to be found in any of their recipe books - I have several from different eras. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:05:56 am »
Andie you are a wealth of knowledge.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 03:34:11 am »
We're having this tonight and I've flavoured it with 1.5 tablespoons of strawberry Nesquik (as I miss those flavoured junket tablets).  It tastes just the way I remembered it!

Using (full fat) flavoured milk instead of plain milk might also be a way to have a range of flavours  ???

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:48:31 pm »
My dad always loved coffee-flavored junket.   Every time I visited him in the past few years, that was his first request after greeting me.
"Did you bring the "fixings" for the coffee custard?"  and if I had neglected to pack them in my van, I would have to go to the market, as soon as I had my luggage unloaded, and shop for the ingredients.

I didn't have a specific recipe, used espresso brewed in a moka pot, and mixed with full-cream milk to make a pint of liquid, sugar substitute (Splenda) because my dad was also diabetic - just to taste, perhaps a teaspoon full, heat the liquid just till it's warm.
I dissolve one Junket Rennet tablet in a tablespoon of cold water, stir it into the milk/espresso mixture and pour it into custard cups. 
It sets rapidly and my dad always wanted to eat it as soon as it was set but the rest went into the fridge and when he would get up during the night, he always had one for a snack. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:51:11 pm »
Oh Andie, that's a lovely story!

I remember junket, I loved it! I've never thought to look for it in the shops. Thanks for the link to the online store. I might try amazon too.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »
I like the sound of coffee junket andie.  Made the plain version today but it was pretty tasteless so next time will use some of Chookies iced-coffee syrup and see how that goes.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 08:18:26 am »
Think I told this before, but my brother used to chew junket ?? We all had to wait til he'd finished before we could leave the table !

The coffee junket does sound good - maybe some coffee liqueur ?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.