Author Topic: Beef 'Risotto' with basil, peas and parmesan cheese  (Read 41080 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Beef 'Risotto' with basil, peas and parmesan cheese
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:21 am »
Name of Recipe:     Beef 'Risotto' with basil, peas and parmesan cheese
Number of People: Serves 4-6 depending on appetite
Ingredients:
60g parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic
1 onion, quartered
90g butter or margarine
100g tomato paste or pizza sauce
400g tin tomatoes (crushed)
70g (or 1-2 tbsp) vegetable stock paste
500g beef mince
300mL water
200g (1 cup) long grain rice
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 bunch of basil (or if basil is ridiculously expensive and you can't grow your own, 2 tbsp 'gourmet garden' 'tube' style basil is fine)

Preparation:
1. Put the parmesan in bowl and pulverise for 8-10 seconds on speed 9, set aside.
2. Place onion and garlic in bowl, chop for 3 seconds or so on speed 6.
3. Add butter/margarine, cook 4mins/Varoma Temp/ Speed 1/MC off.
4. Add tomato paste (or pizza sauce if using), can of tomatoes and stock paste, cook 5 mins/Varoma Temp/Speed  ^^, you may need to place the basket on the top of the lid to prevent splattering.
5. Add mince, cook 8mins/Varoma Temp/Speed  :-:^^ or Speed 1 depending on mince.
6. Insert butterfly, add rice and water, cook 17mins/100oC/ :-: ^^.
7. In the last minute or so, add the peas, basil and parmesan cheese til combined.
8. Place in Thermoserver until the rice is to your liking.

Tips/Hints:
This is a family favourite recipe (pre TMX) adapted from AWW The Minced Meat Cookbook.
This cooking time gave us an al dente type feel to the rice, but you might find you need to adjust this to your liking.
It is a very forgiving recipe where we regularly substitute different stocks, pastes etc depending on what we have around. Basil and parmesan are staples though. Basil is difficult to grow here during winter so we have resorted to the 'tube' style which works really well in this dish.

members' comments

phatassphairy -  OMG, it was a hit in the house and my hubby, son, daughter, 2 grandsons and myself all enjoyed it. I used beef stock,  
added 1/2 cup of frozen peas carrot and corn (cause that is all that i had left in the freezer)  in and cooked for 2 mins at the end. I used 6 large basil leaves and i sort of chopped them into fine slithers ......

Amy - it smelled absolutely delicious while cooking! It was a perfect recipe. Quick, easy, tasty, and plenty of leftovers.

JD - Wasn't sure if GS would eat risotto but knowing how much he loves spag bol, I thought I'd make this. Makes heaps and went down well with the 3 of us thanks Jamberie.  I added carrot and celery with the onion but had to pick out the peas from his plate  :-))

GF - I only had 5 gm of butter in the fridge so used that and probably a tablespoon and a half of olive oil.  Didn't have frozen peas so added some chopped zucchini and broccoli along with the basil.  It was an absolute winner!!  Served with large salad.  Added to the hallowed book of family favourites!!  Thanks, again!!

JD - I had enough leftovers for lunch again today so thought I'd try and make it look a bit different to fool DH. Cooked some pasta, added it to the risotto mix, had a frozen pack of cheese sauce so thawed that and poured it over the top.  Topped with breadcrumbs and cheese and stuck it under the grill.  Yum, loved it.

TAT - so yummy! I made it, put it in my thermoserver and took it on a 10 minute walk to my friend who had just been admitted to hospital. It smelt so good, I think we made all the nurses and other patients pea green with envy! A great recipe, and as the patient was a pea-hater, I substituted frozen corn which worked just as well. A big hit at home and at the hospital! This recipe is a keeper!

astarra - Yum...this is delicious. I didn't have peas so used frozen corn instead and the gourmet gardens tube I thought was basil was actually basil,oregano, garlic and bell pepper, so used that - yummo! Thanx Jamberie for such a flavoursome lunch!

Mills - Loved by all in our house, such a cheap easy meal and such a great way to use mince.

CC - It was a hit in this household as well Jamberie. Thank you. Got leftovers as well.

Kimmyh - We loved it. Thanks Jam, will be a regular in our house. I used basmati rice as recipe asks for long grain. Is that right, or should I have used risotto (arborio) rice?

Answer - either works.

buzzbee -  made this tonight with chicken mince instead of beef mince - it was delicious! The whole family enjoyed it and I will definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:17:32 am by judydawn »
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Beef 'Risotto' with basil, peas and parmesan cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:57:53 am »
I like the sound of this one Jamberie - I'm sure this one will prove to be very popular. This is your first recipe posting if I am correct?   Well done for a great conversion.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:01:33 pm »
Yes Judy, first recipe posting, I hope other forum members like it as much as we do! It's a great weeknight meal, fairly quick and easy and most of the ingredients are ready to go!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:10:16 am »
yum this looks good ..... i have already got dinner planned for to night ((( :o :o :o ... making a lamb shank pie ... sojust  doing mashed potato in thermo for dinner  ;D.... ))))

i think i will add corn and some grated carrot into mine. (just so kids eat more vegies)TFS.

as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:53:22 am »
PAP, grated carrot & zucchini work really well in this one, I would 'grate' the carrot either before the onion (to completely disguise it) or just chop it when the onion is chopped if your kids don't care about small bits (although it is quite tomatoey so they may not pick them out anyway)! Hope your family like it!

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:36:53 am »
oooh good idea about the zucchini too .... will let you know when i get around to trying it .... come home from work and hubby has dinner sorted ... tomorrow night we are off to a friends then sat night we are going camping ,,,, so i will put this on the menu for next week  :)
as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:49:15 am »
cooking this right now  =). smells beautiful.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:03 am »
I'm dying to know what you thought of this one PAP, I'm nervous because it's the first time I've shared a recipe on the forum & I hope other people like it too!
Yes, it does smell divine when it's cooking! So hopefully that's a positive sign!

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »
jamberie .................OMG...................... lets just say this girl is feeling like a real phatassphairy tonight!!!!

it was a hit in the house and my hubby, son, daughter, 2 grandsons and myself all enjoyed it.

my hubby is not really a risotto man ....so i took a bit of a risk in cooking it but because i have had lap band surgery a few weeks ago i am on a strict diet and i am allowed risotto atm. Well my hubby said" babe this is freaking yum" so that has to be a keeper in this house .....

i have made a thermo recipe book that i have got the family favs in it as i find and try ...... your recipe has join with 5/5 stars from my mob.

thank you for the share

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 12:06:44 pm »
oh the only thing i did a veriation on was i used beef stock

i added 1/2 cup of frozen peas carrot and corn (cause that is all that i had left in the freezer)  in and cooked for 2mins at the end.

i used 6 large basil leaves and i sort of chopped them into fine slithers ......

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »
Phew! I'm so pleased your family liked it! I think the name risotto turns a lot of people off as you don't expect the burst of flavour/texture...hence I used 'risotto' when naming it, I hope it livened up your post surgery diet too.
I think I might make it again tomorrow night...

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 11:29:58 am »
I made this for mum and SD tonight, it smelled absolutely delicious while cooking! The only problem I had was getting the butterfly in. Jamberie, do you remove the meat mixture when you put the butterfly in?

Otherwise it was a perfect recipe. Quick, easy, tasty, and plenty of leftovers for mum and SD's lunches! ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:07:08 am by Amy :-) »

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 09:58:09 am »
I made this for mum and SD tonight, it smelled absolutely delicious while cooking! The only problem I had was getting the butterfly in. Jamberie, do you remove the meat mixture when you put the butterfly in?

Otherwise it was a perfect recipe. Quick, easy, tasty, and plenty of leftovers for mum and SD's lunches! ;D

Yes, it does smell delicious when it is cooking! When inserting the butterfly, I have just used a spatula to push some of the meat aside or have just wiggled the butterfly.
Glad you liked the recipe :)

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 09:38:36 am »
Looks gr8. We use lots of mince so will def try this gem. Than you b
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 04:43:52 am »
Wasn't sure if GS would eat risotto but knowing how much he loves spag bol, I thought I'd make this for lunch today.  Even though he had been snacking all morning on cheese, fruit and baked beans, he still ate his bowlful.  Makes heaps and went down well with the 3 of us thanks Jamberie.  I added carrot and celery with the onion but had to pick out the peas from his plate :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.