Author Topic: Candle Nuts  (Read 10669 times)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
Candle Nuts
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:22 am »
Hi everyone I am in Bali I have had a cooking lesson on balinese lamb and in the recipe were candle nuts. Does anyone know what these are called in Australia, they are like a marble size with a few dents in them.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Candle Nuts
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:02:22 am »
You can probably get them in Asian supermarkets here Yvette but they say macadamias can be used as a substitute. Some of the recipes in our Taste of Asia call for candlenuts. Apparently they are mildly toxic when raw.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:44:00 am »
You should bring some back Yvette. I was in Bali a few weeks ago, this time I bought back, whole nutmeg, Bali salt, onion and garlic powder, chilies, turmeric and about 30 vanilla pods
Just make sure you declare them. 

ciao
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:20:34 am »
Thanks ladies. Fundji the chef bought me some candlenuts, I wasn't sure if youn could bring them back into australia if you can I might buy some more things thanks.

I have a recipe for balinese lamb and a really nice satay sauce, doing the cooking course on Sunday.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:25:00 am »
I have given up using Candle Nuts ,bought at local Chinese grocery as they always seem to be 'off'.  As Judy says you can sub. Macadamia nuts.

Bonsai

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »
I can find candlenuts in asian food shops around Fremantle - if you're flying to Australia from Bali beware as many states don't let you bring in foodstuffs to avoid pests etc (the cute sniffer beagles will get you!! :o)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:11:06 pm »
As Bonsai says, beware bringing foodstuffs into Australia, the Quarantine people can be very strict.  If you really want to bring something in with you you MAY stand a better chance if it is a commercially prepared and packed product in a commercially sealed package.  Whatever else you do, make sure you declare it upon arrival back in Australia so that if it is confiscated at least the declaration should mean that you won't get fined (but please don't 'quote' me on that as I am not 100% sure that that is the case), have a chat to the officials and be open and that should stand you in good stead.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:31 pm »
I thought candle nuts actually grow in Australia, in the tropical regions.   I can buy them here in So.Calif. but they are sold in a bag with the warning that the nuts have to be cooked prior to eating.

Because of the high oil content they rapidly become rancid but can be frozen to extend the shelf life after roasting. 
(I tried boiling them but they got rather waxy so roasting is best.)

I substitute macadamia nuts in the recipes that specify candle nuts and because many of these are heavily spiced, one really can't tell the difference. 

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:02:28 am »
Hi Yvette,  Sounds like you are haveing a great time.  I have never had trouble bring back spices from India and also nutmeg from Malaysia.  With nutmeg you must remember that it must be out of it's shell and you must declare what you bring in.  They will look at them but that is all.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:42:41 am »
Thanks ladies I will make sure I declare them

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 01:56:18 am »
Yvette, if the customs don't allow you to keep the candlenuts try to source some in an Asian store. We got ours from Chatswood- Sydney.
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:10:59 am »
if vanilla pods were really cheap as fundj mentioned earlier, I'd be going mad with those
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 01:12:39 pm »
if vanilla pods were really cheap as fundj mentioned earlier, I'd be going mad with those

I agree, lots and lots of vanilla beans.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:14:40 pm »
Thanks girls I will see what's at the market on sunday morning. I have never used vanilla beans before what are the best things to make with them?

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 01:27:44 pm »
My favorite is Vanilla Extract. Mine has been brewing for 4 months now and smells fantastic.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.