Author Topic: advice/suggestions re slice base please  (Read 3394 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
advice/suggestions re slice base please
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:52:01 am »
Hi everyone,
I have been given a lovely recipe for a german Kutchen slice, which I have made several times.  The recipe for the base says to use 1 packet of commercial buttercake mixture, which you rub with butter to make a crumbly dough mixture that you press firmly into a tin and bake 20 mins and letting cool before adding the topping.

can anyone suggest an alternative for the commercial cake mixture to rub with butter?  I was thinking of plain flour and sugar, but am not sure if I should be adding anything else.  And I am not sure what quantities or proportions to add them in to make up the equivalent of a packet of commercial cake mix.

Thanks in advance!
Karen
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:54:40 am by KarenH »
Karen in Adelaide

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: advice/suggestions re slice base please
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:11:59 am »
Karen, that reminds me of the method in the Armenian Nutmeg cake recipe that I have. In that recipe, you combine 2 cups of brown sugar and 2 cups of SR flour, and rub together with 4 ounces of butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. You sprinkle half of the mix into a lined, 8" square tin and then continue adding wet ingredients to the dry and pour over the base and cook.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:50:46 am »
Karen,  I think that is the recipe that won a Bake Off competition some years ago.  I think ES is  correct. 

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
Thanks ES and ACW  :-* :-* - will try that one and see how it goes.  The Armenian Nutmeg cake sounds wonderful ES!
Karen in Adelaide