Author Topic: Best budget place to stay in Bali or Thailand  (Read 15988 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Best budget place to stay in Bali or Thailand
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 07:32:27 am »
OK, well we've ended up booking Thailand, I was over ruled on Malaysia so I've had to go with the majority decision. We are just after a relaxing week after a shocker of a year. It's so much more expensive from the Eastern side of Australia and we are having to go in school holidays so there were no airfare specials but because it's low season the hotel was great value, I've attached a link for anyone interested.

Now for doing some research on things to see and do and ramp up the exercise so I look good in bathers!!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1210687-d1526109-Reviews-Avista_Phuket_Resort_Spa-Kata_Beach_Phuket.html

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 07:35:14 am »
So glad you booked somewhere. Looks good :)

Yes here in perth, asia is a cheap getaway.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 12:39:49 am »
Just catching up on this thread. I was going to suggest Thailand too, I love it, in fact we are going on Sunday! First time in 3+ years we have been out of Oz, long overdue!!!
We are spending 5 nights in Bangkok in a serviced apartment with 3 bedrooms (there are 6 of us, me, DH, Mum and 3 kids) - mostly going there for EATING, a bit of shopping and catching up with friends (we used to live there). Then heading to Hua Hin for 7 nights, also in a 3 bedroom serviced apartment, right on the beachfront. There are still some dodgy characters there, but far less than in Pattaya.
If you want to get off the beaten track, next time I would suggest Koh Samet or Koh Chang.
But wherever you go in Thailand you can be guaranteed the food will be fabulous, massages cheap and 99% of the time people are super friendly. Have a great trip.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 12:56:59 am »
I went to Thailand 24 years ago, great then, food, massages, shopping.... enjoy :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:16 am »
I have been travelling to Thailand since the 1960's . When we first went to Phuket there was only one place to stay,  Songkhla is my favourite place to go but also  a small village near the airport in Phuket a Nai Yang Beach. Beach my DH and I studied the Thai language  many years ago and used to speak it fluently. Not so much these days.

It is a very easy language to learn but not  to write.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 01:48:37 am »
We are all quite excited now that I've actually booked. I really procrastinated as the cost for 4 and from the east coast doesn't make it a cheap holiday and so far this year each time we've had a holiday someone has passed away so I feel a bit cursed, but we all really need a break and something to look forward to. It will probably be the last family holiday with DD heading into VCE next year and she will be off with her friends.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 07:05:55 am »
Have a great time Wonder at least you can live cheaply over there with food and shopping :)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:14 am »
Glad to hear you've booked your holiday Wonder, I hope you all have a great time. You deserve it with all the bad news you've had this year.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 09:58:53 am »
Gert's why did you live there?
I spoke fairly fluently too, but like you never mastered the reading / writing. I am hoping a lot it (Thai) is still in my head, I guess I'll find out next week! I have been having fun teaching my kids to count, say hello, thank you etc.
I love it so much there, so excited to go back, and wonder how much has changed in the 8 years since we left. Our oldest was born there, will always have a strong connection!
Wonder, enjoy the food - so much better than the Thai available here.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 10:17:43 am »
I have never lived in Thailand but have spent a lot of  time there. My sister lived there for a while though.

One you are back there you will be surprised how easily you slip  back into the vernacular. It really is a simple language once you get the tones right . In any case I have found that Thais will understand you even it the tones are completely wrong.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 04:05:11 am »
Thanks Gert I hope so!