Author Topic: The Happy Thread  (Read 1030241 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: The Happy Thread
« Reply #2430 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34:37 pm »
back in the olden days..... we had a L plate for 6 weeks, then did the test. that was it.
L on our paper licence for 12 months.

Most of the time, the test was for 10 minutes. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: February 22, 2013, 09:43:13 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D  remember it well . . .  my dad having me practise reverse parking between the goal posts at a park . . . doing drivers test in school uniform - no P plates - and most road sense was to be learned in the years ahead of you . . .

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:38 pm »
I love hearing your stories ladies ;D ;D

Thanks Sue, Jam and Marie :-*

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: February 22, 2013, 11:12:51 pm »
 :D my Dad was Builder and I learnt to drive towing a trailer, which has served me really well throughout the years.

• View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: February 22, 2013, 11:15:17 pm »
Oh wow Brenda, I can't imagine towing something :o My car is the size of a matchbox and thats big enough for me! :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: February 22, 2013, 11:42:26 pm »
It certainly has Brenda, I take my hat off to you towing your caravan.  I have an ex-SIL who does the same even though she was advised by others in her family it would be too hard for her.  Isn't it nice to prove people wrong ;)

Back when I did my driving test at 17 the police station was over the road and down a few houses so the policeman came to my place with his parking sticks but when he tried to get in my then boyfriend's Austin Healey Sprite, something had to give as he was a huge man and he only just fitted into his space.  The sticks unfortunately were poked through the seats into the back area but I had to stop off at the police station so he could take his hat back :D  Needless to say, he felt very uncomfortable in that car so it was probably the shortest test known to mankind. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: February 23, 2013, 12:00:16 am »
Love that story Judy!! Weren't they great times !! (Looking back from this angle mind you!!!! Lol). How I remember those lovely Austin Healey Sprites!! :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:20:15 am by goldfish »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: February 23, 2013, 12:27:35 am »
I used to love borrowing his car when he was working at weekends and a girlfriend and I would go for a drive - got plenty of looks and wolf whistles back then.  Pity they're frowned on these days, I'd love it if I got one today - politically incorrect or not  :D :D ;)

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: February 23, 2013, 12:38:54 am »
*sigh*. ... Definitely the good ol' days!!! That is for sure!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: February 23, 2013, 12:59:32 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I love the look of those Austin Healy Sprites! I would love one, but I guess they wouldn't come as an automatic :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:02 am »
I didn't particularly like the bug eye look of that vehicle Amy, I preferred the bigger Austin Healey model, particularly the model that was more square. Scroll down fast until you come to the red one which is highlighted, that's the one I used to prefer. We didn't learn to drive in automatic cars back in our day Amy and I'm sure no sports car comes in automatic - does it?

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: February 23, 2013, 01:17:43 am »
I insisted both my offspring learn on manual . . .IMO once you've learned that, an automatic is easy - except that your left foot keeps looking for the clutch . .!! ;D ;D

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: February 23, 2013, 01:39:20 am »
I got my license in a little country town on the east coast of tassie, drove around the block went back to the police station where he asked me every question in the book, passed he didn't even notice that I was driving an auto, as he was to busy chatting up my friend, who had taken me for my test. Lol
I did insist that my kids learnt in a manual,
It wasn't a pretty site seeing me drive a manual for the first time after autos but very funny for those watching.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

• View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: February 23, 2013, 05:10:31 am »
Funny story Jenny ;D

My mum wasn't bothered what I learnt in. At first I really wanted a manual license but it was too stressful for me and I figured there's no real need for a manual these days anyway :)

We didn't learn to drive in automatic cars back in our day Amy and I'm sure no sports car comes in automatic - does it?

I wouldn't have a clue Judy, cars aren't really my thing :-)) ;D

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:47 am »

there's no real need for a manual these days anyway :)

. . .  unless, Amy, in an emergency, you're the only driver and the only car available is a manual . . . It is stressful at first but it does all click into place in time - and then you have that skill. 

It's a bit like Brenda learning to drive with a trailer!!  I certainly wouldn't have thought so back then, but now I'd really value that skill!! :D