Author Topic: Steamed Garlic Rice  (Read 93838 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Steamed Garlic Rice
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:22 pm »
Not too sure if this a the right place to post this recipe, but this is the best possible rice in the whole world, my kids love it, and want it daily, so I have a big tupperware full in the fridge, ready to heat up in 1min in the micro, and accompany anything from a fried egg, to a chicken breast or some fish. How can such plain steamed rice be sooooooo amazing, try it and you will see why. It has to be the round grain rice, the real Spanish or risotto rice....try and enjoy.....
 :-\

Garlic Rice
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients: 50g olive oil
                          3 garlic cloves
                          800g water
                          salt
                          350g round grain rice

Preparation:

Place garlic and olive oil in TH, 3 mins, Temp Varoma, Speed 4.

Add water and salt and place empty basket inside TH. 7 mins, Temp Varoma, Speed 1.

Without opening lid, pour rice into the TH through the hole, (don't forget to have placed the basket!) 13 mins. Temp Varoma, Speed 4.

After every 3 or 4 mins try and stir the rice around with the spatula. And add a little more salt directly onto the rice at the first stir.

When finished, with the spatula, take the basket out of the TH, and tip into a largish sized dish, fluff it up a little and leave it to stand for 2 minutes before serving.

It is the best and easiest possible rice! Will try and work out how to get some photos on..........promise ;D

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Ceejay: Yummmmm!!
I substituted basmati rice and it worked a treat!  Kids loved it too!  

JD: I can vouch for that Ceejay.  The other night I thought I'd use up some basmati rice (which is supposed to be better for you than other rices and I haven't used it since doing Brons recipe using round rice) and although it was OK, was no-where near as nice as using the round rice. Believe me, if Bron says something, I just follow her orders - she knows what she is talking about.

Brazen: has anyone tried reducing the oil?

Bron:Yes of course! I use 25 or 30 grams now, diet of course!

Bron: By the way, you can up it to 400g, that it the max. amount. Same water etc, may just help you that extra bit !

Maddy:I used long grain rice, and it probably sat for 15/20 minutes in the thermoserve whilst I cooked the enchilada's.
The grains were seperated, and cooked perfectly.

Maddy:Made this again tonight, but turned it into taco rice.
I followed Bron's recipe, with just 2 garlic cloves, and added a 35g packet of reduced salt taco seasoning, and mixed it in with the rice and proceeded with the recipe.  I didn't add any extra salt though.
Made a lovely change with enchilada's tonight.

Nay-nay: Brons garlic rice is my faourite way of doing rice but just lately I have tried making Jasmine rice after watching Jamie Oliver by just adding 10 tiny balls of the Jasmine dragons pearls to the rice. It is very nice.

Maddy: I love this rice, and tonight I chopped up and quartered 1 red capsicum, 1 green capsicum, and 1 red onion.
chopped for 8 seconds, speed 4......then placed into varoma and steamed whilst the rice was steaming.
I spread it around the varoma and left some steam holes vacant.
You could add any small chopped veg.
I just stopped the cooking once, to give the rice a stir then carried on cooking.
Mix the both together in thermoserve, and leave to sit til ready.

Leej:Made this tonight, was lovely. Used aborio rice, seemed a teeny bit gluey, so will try a different rice and see what we like better!

thermohaven: The best rice to use for cooking in the basket is either jasmine, long grain or basmati. Calrose and arborio come out too gluggy, whereas the other 3 come out nice and separate.

Nay-nay: Yeah thermoheaven they would be my choice and brown rice needs a good 30mins.

ILB: Can't believe it has taken me THIS long to try the garlic rice. Made it with Bron's tomato meat balls and was delish!!

Auds:Made this tonight. It was very tasty. Next time I will cook for a few minutes extra to keep the boss happy.  Also will halve the oil. I don't think it needs so much.

Uni: Its the best rice ever ,i make it about 2 times a week

Auds: Yes I left it about five,mins but was a little under. Also the boss likes his rice well cooked

Uni:yes 5 mins is plenty of time, oh just make the boss happy and cook it longer , add 900grams of water next time just to be sure it does not boil dry, keep an eye on the temp and speed it will spill over,it will still cook on 90 and lower speed

Chicksta44: Made this tonight. It was excellent. Have plenty left so have put it in the fridge to have with some steamed veg for lunch tomorrow. I served it with baked lamb chops with the French onion soup mix on top, and Cookies steamed spinach dumplings! Yumo!  Thanks for the recipe Bron.

GF:Can't recommend this too highly!! Made it for the first time today and it's gone!!  Amazingly easy  . . . amazingly good!!  I know this recipe was posted some time ago, but thank you very very much.

Tam: Super delicious!!!! I found mine was a little too firm but after sitting in the Thermoserver for 1/2hr it was lovely.  Will be making again and again. thanks Goldfish for bumping the thread as sometimes we forget about the classics!!!

JD: I think it is important to stir this every 3-4 minutes through the hole in the lid as Bron suggested - it does tend to help it cook properly.  Be careful though, that steam is very hot.

Lexi: I made this last night and loved the flavour.  I used arborio rice.  Mine came out crunchy so I added more water and a few minutes more so it was more cooked, but it's still touch on crunchy side.  I did exactly as recipe says in quantities and stirring etc.  Actually every time I cook rice in TMX it is crunchy or sticky.  I cant master rice in TMX What's max amount of water I can use as mine never overflows?

Courton: Made this tonight with basmati rice and cooked it for 4 mins longer than specified. Perfect! Served with tiny pieces of preserved lemon (home made) on top. 5/5.

Jam: Made this tonight to go with my stir fry - was very impressed!
I am not a rice eater but still treated myself to a taste, but hubby said it was absolutely amazing, fragrant and just like we have had with stir fries in Asia.
I did a half batch but still using the same amount of water and it turned out perfect - texture and taste!  

DJ: Made this tonight. Used basmati.
Ended up in pan on Aga to get it cooked through.

Hally: Followed Brons instructions 100% apart from using basmati rice. Cooked to perfection, will just re-heat later. It tastes lovely

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:22:07 pm by Cornish Cream »
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Steamed Garlic Rice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45:20 am »
my kids would adore this too! it's on my list to try :D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:04 am »
Thanks for the recipe - think that it belongs here.

Very simple but very tasty - nice one  ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:51:57 am »
OK, what is "round" grain rice?  I know of short for risotto or sushi, medium and long grained.  Never heard of round.  HELP !!!!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:03:36 am »
Round = short grain =pudding rice for Caroline = arborio/risotto - absorbs higher proportion of water than med/log grained varieties.

I use long-grained rice with spices such as coriander and cumin seeds for a similar dish with onions, garlic and chicken stock in the TM bowl.  It may take slightly longer to cook than short-grain, but the results will be good.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:09:32 am »

Will try and work out how to get some photos on..........promise ;D

Check out this post.

It may help - you can go back and MODIFY the post - but watch - it will put in a new set of Name of Recipe/Ingredients/Prep at beginning of post - so watch that you remove the extraneous info

Good luck
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:49:21 am »
Amanda, this sounds lovely.  We love garlic.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 01:03:05 pm »
Yummmmm!!

I substituted basmati rice and it worked a treat!  Kids loved it too!  8)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:59:05 pm »
Try it with the round rice, its even better! Promise! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:51 am »
You mean it gets better?????   :o
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 02:31:33 am »
I can vouch for that Ceejay.  The other night I thought I'd use up some basmati rice (which is supposed to be better for you than other rices and I haven't used it since doing Brons recipe using round rice) and although it was OK, was no-where near as nice as using the round rice. Believe me, if Bron says something, I just follow her orders - she knows what she is talking about.

Hi Bron  :-* :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 08:04:00 am »
has anyone tried reducing the oil?
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »
Yes of course! I use 25 or 30 grams now, diet of course!
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 03:45:33 pm »
oh brilliant, thanks bron! we loved the flavour but i found it too oily (and of course it wasn't enough for my 3 rice fiends  :-)))
My Cooking Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 03:54:56 pm »
Lol I still can't get over the amount of rice your kids eat Karen. Would have been nice when rice was half the price it is now about 18 months ago but not too sure about now  :P
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!