Author Topic: Shredded Chicken Salad - Meat on the Menu Cookbook  (Read 5322 times)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Shredded Chicken Salad - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »
Am seeking to try a whole lot of new salads this summer and had my eye on this one as my family enjoy wraps and it makes great picnic food too.

I attempted to make the TM mayonnaise which was not a great success but I used it in the recipe anyway. I omitted the pecans as my DC are a bit fussy with nuts. I used 900g of chicken thighs as my parents were supposed to be having tea with us. Instead of the grapes I used cranberries but otherwise followed the recipe. Taste-wise it was great and got the thumbs up from the family and a friend who had dropped in and stayed for tea as my folks didn't end up coming. There was plenty left over for my DH to take with him to work today.

Tweaks - where it says to shred the chicken on  :-: speed 3,  I ended up doing it without the reverse. When you had to put all ingredients except dressing and chicken in the bowl and blitz, I found I ended up with some larger pieces of celery & red onion than I should have so may have needed to blitz longer or to have stirred after first blitz and blitz again. Wasn't a major thing but if serving to guests would be better without the larger pieces. Other thing I should say, was that I didn't add all the dressing to the salad as my mayo had turned out so runny that the salad would have been swimming in the dressing if I'd added it all. So, if your mayo is thicker you would probably add all the dressing.

So, 5/5 and will definitely make again. I served at room temp as soon as it came out of the TM but would definitely chill it next time and it would be even better. Am going to give it a try as a quiche base in cooler weather as the book suggests.

With the cranberries & red onion in it, it is perfectly coloured  to have as a Christmas salad - lovely red & green colours.

Sorry, forgot to take a photo. Will try and remember next time I make it unless someone else beats me to it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:55:59 pm by RoxyS »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Shredded Chicken Salad - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:18:41 am »
Thanks Roxy. It sounds perfect for this weather.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Shredded Chicken Salad - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:39:03 pm »
just tried this tonight or prepared it for our picnic tomorrow..looks very yummy and works not only as a salad but as stated as a sandwhich filler..reminds me of the fillings from those gourmet sandwich places..made julie Os cobb loaf so we can have either sandwich or just salad on a plate..will report back once properly tasted..oh also didnt have celery so put one small zucchini in instead and like roxy used cranberries.. i have the chicken mix and the salad in seperate containers and will mix just before serving or just before leaving  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/