Author Topic: Confusion with posting of threads.  (Read 3707 times)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Confusion with posting of threads.
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:59:25 am »
I have noticed that there be may some confusion with our newer members (and some of us longer standing members) with regard to where to post threads and about posting recipes found in recipe books. My understanding is that recipes contained in the various TMX books should not be put on the forum for copyright reasons. Is that the case? I am not wanting to upset anyone in asking for clarification on these points. Naz had mentioned to me that she had reviewed the Roulade of Spinach in the Recipe Reviews and Tweaking and when I logged in this didn't come up as an unread topic since my last visit. I have since added to an old post with a question which came up with a warning saying that I might want to start a new topic as there hadn't been any activity on that topic for a year. So, I'm wondering whether my question will be seen by anyone or will just be tacked on to the topic but because it is so old will not come up when people try to view unread posts since their last visit. Surely with starting new posts for some of these subjects we end up with a few posts on the same subject and then there can be confusion in where to look for something. (I don't feel like I am doing a very good job of explaining what I mean so I hope someone can understand me.)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Confusion with posting of threads.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:22:26 am »
I think it only comes up with a warning so that if you are answering a question you may not get a response. It will come up in unread posts or in new replies for people who have contributed to the topic in the past.

So I guess I think people should search for what they want to post about and then add their comments to the relevant thread and if there isn't one then start a new one. It is helpful to add comments to existing reviews of recipes as all tweaks and opinions can be kept together.

Just my opinion  :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:29:14 am »
I'm always adding to the older than 120 days threads, I keep finding old recipes I want to try, lol.
yes that is where to add to them and then they come up in the new replies list etc but all old info is also there.
It is a basic bulletin board feature to have that warning (same as the so many people have replied since you first did message) meant for busy chat type sites.
But as a recipe or even chat on here is rarely likely to go out of popularity then it's not an issue.

Yes I believe it's not on to post recipe book recipes.

Not sure why you didn't get a new reply on that tweak, but I've found the new posts can be quite flaky at times so probably just one of those things. (smf can be quite flaky with that feature in general, though usually it's an emptying of new posts so you only get a couple rather than the load you haven't read).

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:14 am »
I always post in old threads if it is relevant - trying to keep it as tidy as possible.

I did post a recipe that is in a book this morning (I couldn't find it in the books at the time and know it was a Go Getters recipe for my GL and it has been sitting in my data base for a long time so thought I could have been imagining it being in a book!!) I have been debating all day whether to go back and delete the post or leave it as I do believe in abiding by the rules for copyright - will appreciate others thoughts on this.

I think I get all the posts on old threads show in my unread topics - I hope so cause I think you have a very valid point Roxy - gosh we could end up very messy  ???
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »
As far as I am aware copyright means you cannot copy more then 1 chp or 10% of a book - so 1 recipe doesn't contravene that. And you can't make money from it - which sharing on this board only makes money for TMX as more people are convinced to buy the machines/books. So I don't see how there can be any problem.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:23:02 am »
I agree with zebraa, and I also thinks it helps promote that book so that people will go and buy it for more of the same good  recipes  ;) its quite a common marketing tool
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:31:29 am »
In regard to the review of recipes RoxyS, there seems  to be 2 places to put them.  Most people start their own new topic for a review or use someone else's review thread to add their own comments. Some however, put their review in the review thread set up originally by Brazen where it sort of gets lost because it just goes under the general heading of Recipe Reviews. Much easier to find a particular recipe review if they have their own headings.  Hope you know what I mean, it is a little hard to explain unless you are looking at that particular page on the forum.  I agree with the other girls re posting recipes from books, I only need to find 1 good recipe in a book to buy it myself   ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.