Author Topic: veg stock concentrate  (Read 10619 times)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
Re: veg stock concentrate
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 10:59:35 pm »
I keep mine in the fridge too

Offline tasteaddicted

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 09:53:27 am »
Everyone, except me, seems to love the vegetable stock concentrate. The first time I made it was  a couple of years ago soon after first getting my Thermomix, it tasted disgusting and I threw it out as I thought perhaps I had done something wrong  - even though I was pretty sure that I had followed the recipe carefully. I tried it again a couple of days ago, and  halved  the amount of salt called for in the book, but it still tasted like pure salt, without any hint of the taste of the vegetables.  It is still in the fridge but I am reluctant to use it instead of real  stock, or even instead of commercial stock powder, as I cannot imagine that it can add any flavour apart from that of salt. What is the difference between using a teaspoon of vegie stock concentrate and using a teaspoon of salt?
Am I missing something, doing something wrong?

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 10:25:36 am »
For me I just chuck in all the veggies  in the world, cook it down and add minimal  salt. I don't bother with the recipe and can't remember what it is actually. Every batch is different but no matter as it all tastes of veggies. I use it so frequently I don't need to add much salt but you need not add any salt if you put it in the freezer or use it up quickly.

I would not throw it out but make another batch with no salt ,mix it together, divide it up, put it in the freezer.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 11:18:47 am »
I made a batch today. I have never tasted it on its own but use it all the time and it's great. Really does improve the taste of my dishes. I general don't add salt to recipes, just use the veg stock. My first batch was very salty and I put this down to using table salt, not rock salt.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 12:18:01 pm »
Tasteaddicted, the VSC is just that, a concentrated stock flavour booster and there is no need to test taste it as it is horrible!  Added to recipes though, it does add the flavour needed along with some salt flavour as well. I never add salt when using VSC in a recipe until the end of cooking when I do a taste test.  My favourite VSC is made by roasting some of the vegies first and in winter I often have a mug of vegetable broth with a toasted sandwich.  I just add a heaped tsp VSC to a mug of boiling water and it is very tasty indeed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 01:28:38 pm »
When I first got my thermomix I used to add salt as well as the Vegie concentrate. Definitely a no, no. It seems to add a depth of flavour to risottos, soups etc. I use it where ever stock is needed. DON'T taste it alone, as Judy said it tastes horrible. 
I use 1 teaspoon of stock concentrate to 250 ml liquid.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 08:36:49 pm »
I use it like that too Judy and have added it to prepared soup, baked beans and wherever  you need to add some flavour like casseroles, curries and the like.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.