Author Topic: Back to the bread machine help please.  (Read 9512 times)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Back to the bread machine help please.
« on: September 05, 2014, 05:08:01 pm »
Hi
Owing to current circumstances of DH cancer treatments I am struggling to find time for cooking much and baking bread in particular.

I have an old Panasonic bread machine somewhere and will dig it out if any of the kind forum members can help me 'Un inventing' the bread recipes to go back into a bread machine. I am not sure if it has a bake only option, but wondered if we can still get yummy bread with little effort. There is another machine too, so I will find them when I am next in the attic and decide which one to use.

I thought about starting it in  *: as I only have traditional dried yeast, not fast action, then transferring the dough to the  bread machine for proofing and baking. Do you think that'll work?

A malted seeded one would be good, and maybe a brown and then a white one.
I sort of hope if I get going with this again I will go back to traditional baking when I have time.

Anyways be glad of help and advice as I feel sure this has been done before. I know chookie had a fruit loaf to cook on a bake only option, but I don't yet know if there is a B O option.

There is very good bread to buy 9 miles away, and I do buy several loaves at a time and freeze but once we start the next round of treatment even this becomes difficult to achieve.

Thanks in advance xxxx

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the bread machine help please.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 05:19:24 pm »
Gayle posted this about her Breadmaker DJ.
New Life For the Breadmaker.
Another from Chookie.
Fruit Loaf,kneaded in the TMX and baked in Bread a Machine.

If you find your Panasonic Breadmaker and no manual it's here
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:21:13 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »
Thanks CC.
I was thinking more of just kneading in  *: and throwing into the machine, on account of time/energy constraints.

It will be interesting to read what others have done, thanks so much.
Cheers DJ xx

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:14:47 am »
DJ, have you tried the slow cooker bread.  Not sure if it would be helpful as I'm not aware of your schedule but it is a successful method.
Take care you are both in my thoughts X
Denise

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 12:19:12 am »
Hi DJ, I still use my bread maker when I'm busy just throw it all in and get it out four hours later I use the French bake on my machine , I still do,like to kneed in the TMX and make rolls etc when I have time, best wishes to both of you, hope all goes well.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 12:23:44 am »
No help from me DJ, I don't have a machine but just popping on to wish you both well for the next round of treatment. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 08:23:28 am »
DJ, have you tried the slow cooker bread.  Not sure if it would be helpful as I'm not aware of your schedule but it is a successful method.
Take care you are both in my thoughts X

This is my slow cooker, ceramic 3.5 litre. It's quite big and oval. Don't know if it'd work? Has anyone else a SC of this shape? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4228709.htm
I've read the thread and seen that some have 3.5l SCs. It's in the attic. Will have a look this week. Will have to convince DH! Off to look at the seeded recipe now.

All advice on easier bread much appreciated. Anything to get me cooking again, although if am making a cake later today and some of chookies jam, when I've bought the lemons!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:45:33 am by Droverjess »

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 08:46:43 am »
No help from me DJ, I don't have a machine but just popping on to wish you both well for the next round of treatment. 

Likewise, DJ . . Think about you every day and hoping that it will eventually become an easier road for you both.

I have a 6 ltr slow cooker and have yet to try bread in it.  Just might take this opportunity to try it and will let you know . . . .

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 08:55:19 am »
Thanks so much for the good wishes. It's an uncertain and frightening journey for sure.
DH has been taken to the edge of life, and I have been to the absolute limits of my strength and endurance. Now we wait for a scan and either continue this horrendous process or not. That's why I am not very up to date on here, and had missed the announcements about the new  *:, and lots of other news.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 09:17:49 am »
Don't worry DJ all those announcements are here for when you have the time and inclination. What is the Model of your bread maker? I have a Panasonic and can tell you what the book says.
With ours you put the water and yeast in the bottom, flour on the top and set it going.
Sending hugs to you both.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »
Oh DJ! I feel for you and your DH. Hang in there... 😘

I use my Panasonic for our regular bread. Sooo easy to just throw in stuff at night and wake up to fresh bread. Yummy too, especially with TMX butter and Chookie's strawberry jam.

My model is SD 2501 http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/household/small-appliances/bread-maker/sd-2501.html

Here's the recipe for soft sandwich bread. Menu 10 for my model.

1 1/4 tsp dry yeast
320 g whole wheat flour
100 g bread flour
1 1/4 tsp salt (6 g)
2 tsp powdered milk (3 g)
15 g butter
2 1/2 tsp sugar (9 g)
315 g water
1/4 tsp bread improver, optional

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 01:25:08 pm »
Dj, I hope things improve for you soon. I can't help with your bread maker or sc as I don't have either of those, but you may have missed this quick and delicious wholemeal loaf http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=15509.0
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 08:54:53 pm »
Thanks ES and BZB for your help and good wishes.

I looked at the quick loaf, I think it is a variation of the very famous Grant loaf made during WW2 by Doris Grant.
Here is a variation http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/doris_grant_loaf_16985

Here is her obituary
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1425950/Doris-Grant.html

Here is the original recipe Doris Grant Loaf according to a Facebook page - scroll down to see it

https://en-gb.facebook.com/notes/simon-mayo-drivetime/no-fuss-white-loaf-doris-grant-loaf/10151591892698164

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 10:05:34 pm »
DJ,  I like the bread baked in the Bread Machine.   I have even made SD bread in it without yeast.  Mine is an old Panasonic.  By baking only,  you can remove the paddle in the machine and therefore don't get that nasty hole in the bottom of the bread.   Also if you want bread,  you might find rolls or bread sticks quicker. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 11:48:31 pm »
The only thing I can add DJ is that when proving is slow due to cold weather, I always use the Vienna loaf method of 2 rises in the oven with a baking dish of boiling water below.  This way you know exactly how long the loaf is going to take to make as it is not dependent on guessing how long it will take to rise and you can make bread at any time of the day to suit your lifestyle. I've always had success with this method with either white or wholegrain with 2 rises or the Irish Brown Bread recipe which only needs 1 rise.  Not using the SC, these are oven recipes for me.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.