Author Topic: Windblown sponge - reeve  (Read 7928 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Windblown sponge - reeve
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:39:23 am »
Reeve has posted the recipe from UK Thermomix here:( link not working so here is the recipe)

WINDBLOWN CAKE WITH ALMOND CREAM

3 lge eggs (60g in-the shell weight each), whites and yolks separated
180g water
280g sugar
240g self-raising flour

ALMOND CREAM
250g double cream
1/2 tsp almond essence (not artificial flavouring)
1 tblspn icing sugar
1 lge handful toasted flaked almonds plus a few extra to sprinkle on top

1) Insert the butterfly whisk.  Add the egg whites & whisk 2-1/2 minutes/speed 3. Tip egg whites out into another large bowl
    and set aside.
2) Insert butterfly whisk add the egg yolks and water then whisk 2-1/2 mins/speed 3.
3) Continue to whisk at speed 2 and gradually add the sugar at speed 2 until blended in, then gradually add the flour until  
    blended in. Tip - inserting a jam funnel into the hole in the tM lid will help keep your TM and working area clean and tidy
    while you add the sugar and flour.
4) Add 1/4 of the whites to the yolk mixture and mix in at speed 2 to loosen the mixture. Add  remaining whites & fold in gently
    at speed 2 - 2.5.
5) Bake in ungreased pans at 160oC, no fan. Layer pans 9" x 12" (we call them slice trays in Aust) cook 20-30
    minutes. Turn pans upside down immediately after removing from the oven and cool on rack in pans. Remove from pans 1 hr
    and leave until completely cool.  (I am presuming they mean you use 2 trays here)
6) Insert clean butterfly whisk into clean TM bowl.  Whip cream, almond essence & icing sugar at  speed 2 until soft peaks.
    Remove whisk.  Stir in most of the toasted almonds.  Cover the cake with the almond cream (& fill if you made layers) then
    sprinkle with a few reserved toasted flaked almonds to decorate.

members' comments

cathy79 - I've never made a sponge before and had only eaten the very occasional bought sponge so can't compare this recipe to other recipes. However, it was delicious!  The texture had a very slight meringue chewy to it and it baked, rose and cut beautifully.  After hearing that sponges are difficult, I was very impressed with this recipe as it stood the test. I cut it in three, whipped cream between layers, then whipped cream on top and Quirky Jo's Frozen Berry Nougat - fantastic! 

I had a feeling that someone might ask the size of the tin or how long I cooked it for.
I used a round spring-form tin - one of the two that I have which are slightly different sizes and I can't remember which one.
And for cooking time - ummmm I have to turn everything half way through, so I think I cooked it for a total of about 40 minutes, turning a few times.  The times in the recipe were confusing, so I cooked it until it was done (springy on the top, clean toothpick in the middle). Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:15:27 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Windblown sponge - reeve
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 03:11:17 am »
Photos???
I had an adoptive Nona Julie when I was young and always wish I knew her sponge recipe - That cake was the biggest highest cake ever seen!! :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:25:24 am »
Might have to try it.  Maybe reeve is making it now for his GLW (good lady wife)?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 07:38:43 am »
Thermomixer, have just looked at Windblown cake recipe.   What a beauty ! I have been going to convert a recipe for Lemon Feather Cake but need to convert and then test.   As it is similar to this cake but made with potato flour I will get on and do it.   It also is very light and good for those who can't tolerate gluten .   A good afternoon tea cake for the ladies.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:46:05 am »
Chookie, you are a very busy lady, and we are all benefitting. Thank you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:41:58 pm »
Reeve has posted the recipe from UK Thermomix here:

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2375.0;attach=422

The link does not open for me - I get a blank page. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 02:50:13 am »
Looks lovely, thank you so much!
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 01:04:32 am »
I've never made a sponge before, and had only eaten the very occasional bought sponge, so can't compare this recipe to other recipes.

However, it was delicious!  The texture had a very slight meringue chewy to it and it baked, rose and cut beautifully.  After hearing that sponges are difficult, I was very impressed with this recipe as it stood the test.

I cut it in three, whipped cream between layers, then whipped cream on top and Quirky Jo's Frozen Berry Nougat - fantastic! My MIL has requested it for her birthday in February, so that's a good sign!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:25:31 am »
Could you tell me what size cake tin you used Cathy?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 01:04:30 am »
I had a feeling that someone might ask that, or how long I cooked it for.

I used a round spring-form tin - one of the two that I have which are slightly different sizes, and I can't remember which one.

And for cooking time - ummmm I have to turn everything half way through, so I think I cooked it for a total of about 40 minutes, turning a few times.  The times in the recipe were confusing, so I cooked it until it was done (spingy on the top, clean toothpick in the middle).

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:21:49 am »
Thanks Cathy. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.