Author Topic: Dumb question about lemon zest  (Read 18949 times)

Offline Lees75

• View Profile
Dumb question about lemon zest
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:53 am »
I am going to make the custard in the EDC to use up some milk. So how do I get the zest off the lemon?! (told you it was a dumb question- lol!)
Lisa from Adelaide

mcmich

Re: Dumb question about lemon zest
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:28:17 am »
No dumb questions Lee. Have you got a zester? A fine plane - tiny grater.
You can use the finest side of your box grater.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:29:42 am »
On this forum there  is no such thing as a dumb question. 

Obviously you do not own a zester tool. I would get one as it is handy..........but you have a grater for sure. Just twist and turn your lemon along the grater and you have lemon zest!!

Too easy eh?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Lees75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:43 am »
Thanks Gert:) That's what I remembered from childhood, but thought I had  better check:)
Oops- thanks mcmich, too. I missed your reply:)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:33:34 am by Lees75 »
Lisa from Adelaide

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:34:22 am »
Not dumb at all, Lees75!!  Just use the fine side of a grater.  Just be careful not to get any of the white pith between the skin and the lemon - it's pretty bitter.  You can get special little zesters which are just small very fine graters.

You could also use a very sharp knife to cut the skin from the lemon - but once again, be very careful not to include any of the pith.  

Let's know how you go - it's a lovely custard.  I used the zest of just one lemon once and found it was not nearly lemony enough.  Maybe add a little more.  The more you make the custard, the more you'll become familiar with the quantities of the ingredients that suit you.  Good luck! :)

Offline Lees75

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:15 am »
Sooooo yummy:) One lemon was perfect for me.  I can't wait to make the chocolate  version for the kids.

I still can't believe that little old me is cooking custard to use up milk at it's due date. Previously I would have just tipped it down the sink!
Lisa from Adelaide

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:41:40 am »
Warning  Soap Box moment.

Lee the only time to pour milk down the sink is when it is  when the kiids stick their nose up You can use  milk well past it's  use by date .

I have used sour milk in mash potatoes And also in some doughs . In fact I prefer sour cream or sour milk in mash.  My mother used to make cookies with sour milk and a sort of scone as well.

Cream past it's use by date makes the best  butter. Remember that use by dates are something imposed on us and something our Mothers never experienced . They used their nose.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:51:39 am »
I still can't believe that little old me is cooking custard to use up milk at it's due date. Previously I would have just tipped it down the sink!

Lol I don't wait until the milk is nearly out of date Lisa. If I want custard, I'm making custard! :D

Warning  Soap Box moment.

Lee the only time to pour milk down the sink is when it is  when the kiids stick their nose up You can use  milk well past it's  use by date .

I have used sour milk in mash potatoes And also in some doughs . In fact I prefer sour cream or sour milk in mash.  My mother used to make cookies with sour milk and a sort of scone as well.

Cream past it's use by date makes the best  butter. Remember that use by dates are something imposed on us and something our Mothers never experienced . They used their nose.

Gert

Some interesting things here for me to remember. Thanks Gert ;)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 01:46:33 pm »
I use a microplane grater- very sharp and very effective. Doesn't tend to grate deep enough to reach the pith, which you don't want. More importantly, I haven't grated my fingers accidentally on it yet, which is.a minor miracle in itself!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:50:44 pm »
I just use a potato peeler or a serrated blade peeler (zyliss make one).
Then zap it in the TMX alongside the sugar. Much quicker and easier.
And one less kitchen utensil!
HTH
Gillian

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:34:13 pm »
 snap teagg    l own the same peeler    love it
and  l do the same for my custard , works really well

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »
I just use a potato peeler or a serrated blade peeler (zyliss make one).
Then zap it in the TMX alongside the sugar. Much quicker and easier.
And one less kitchen utensil!
HTH
Gillian
snap teagg    l own the same peeler    love it
and  l do the same for my custard , works really well
I'm always looking for a decent potato peeler so do you recommend the Zyliss brand.I lost count the number of dud ones I have bought  :P I suppose I should take a potato with me and try it out in the shop :D :D :D When ever I buy a teapot I always get the shopkeeper  to fill it with water so I can see that it pours correctly and doesn't drip.Most are obliging,if not I just don't buy it. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »
I too use a potato peeler and then zap in TMX -  the best grater I have discovered is a Culinare have 2 - cheap a chips from Woolies, only make white but have been using that brand for last  5 - 6 yrs  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 07:38:58 pm »
I too use a potato peeler and then zap in TMX -  the best grater I have discovered is a Culinare have 2 - cheap a chips from Woolies, only make white but have been using that brand for last  5 - 6 yrs  :)
Ooh found it on Amazon,only £3 + free p&p ;D
Shouldn't you be sleeping Robyn.I see Uni is on line as well :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 08:08:50 pm »
Denise you are going to have to fill the space left by Frozzie when after she returns to our time zone in Sept - she has frequently been the recipient of my nocturnal ramblings  :)  :)  I think that I pay less than $5 for the peeler at woolies!  :o
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 08:15:12 pm by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.