Author Topic: New vegetarian Thermomix owner from Reading, UK  (Read 11958 times)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
Re: New vegetarian Thermomix owner from Reading, UK
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 03:39:35 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum, I wouldn't be bothered making scrambed eggs in the TM too fussy  :)

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 07:08:38 am »
Hi littlemisstm!

Well, like you I had to try this... Scrambled eggs were one of the first things I made with my Thermie and like you, was disappointed.  :-[ It takes a while to get a feel for certain things and also, to get friendly with the REVERSE function. I didn't realize it myself till I'd had the machine for a while, but that REVERSE function is just about as important as the forward function. :o Sounds strange, but after you've used it a while, you'll get to know what we mean.

Thanks too, to Judydawn  for mentioning the Super Scrubbies that I sell in the Kitchen Kit shop. :-[ :-* Also the little brushes that are included in the Kitchen Kits are super helpful. If you do any baking, you'll find these tools really helpful for cleaning dough out from between the blades.

Great to hear you are experimenting with your new toy. That's where all the fun is > in the discoveries we make for ourselves. We're all continually learning here, and learning feels so good in the brain. ;)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:59 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 02:32:32 pm »
I always make my scrambled egg in the microwave with a dash of milk and chopped parsley, S & P for about 20 secs (1 egg). Adjust time to suit when you give it a stir with a fork. Don't waste your time cleaning the TM when you could be making something else. I make a lovely poached egg or two from this forum though, and the flavour beats the MW hands down,
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 10:57:24 am »
Hi and welcome. I'm vegetarian too and use my TM all the time. The first thing I made was custard and it is fantastic!!!! Also the Lemon Ice thingy, but its probably too cold in England right now for that. I make a lot of the chicken recipes, substituting with potato sometime or just leave out. The recipes still work beautifully. Some of the recipes in Tenina Holders books are great. Visit her web site and there are heaps of free recipes. Good luck.

Offline jmc296

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »
Hi!  I'm from GB too, living in Chelmsford.  It's great to see other UK residents with TMs.  I've had mine for more or less three weeks now and have done all sorts of things but the first things I made were lemon curd (gorgeous), leek and potato soup (also gorgeous) and - oh, I forget now - no I don't, it was cheese sauce.  I've used it loads since then and now my custards are lump free and scrummy!

Do try the orange squash in the FEC book and then use the left over pulp to make fruit spread.  I've just made them today and they're both absolutely delicious and all from two oranges, one lemon and some sugar - and a little bit of citric acid!

J

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 02:33:00 pm »
Welcome to all the UK members - I'm another one and hail from Sheffield.  I've had my machine for about 3.5 years now and I can't imagine life without it.   It has really reignited my enthusiasm for cooking.  I just wish it was better known over here.

Offline jmc296

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »
So do I - I know it's expensive but it does such a lot and three weeks in I can't imagine being without it!

J

Offline Girlpower247

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 01:44:14 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I haven't tried scrabbled eggs in my TM, couldn't be bothered trying to clean the mess off the bowl and like many others find it so quick and mess free in a non stick frypan also.

The first thing my consultant and I made together was the veggie stock concentrate, so handy to have on hand, mine was salt free, so I froze
it in ice cube trays initially and transferred the cubes to a zip lock bag (I don't tolerate much salt)

I can also vouch for the super kitchen kit which has the scrubbie, spatula and small double ended cleaning brush.
I got the twin pack lovers kit - well worth it.
Use them all the time and I just love the little brush, bent mine at a 90 degree angle which allows me to get the small end under all blades with out having to remove them first....the only time I do so now is when Ive made bread doughs.
The other end is great for cleaning the lip either side of TM base (where the TM jug slots into)

You will find so many recipes and help on this forum, it just never sleeps :)

Offline Augusta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 09:48:01 am »
Hi and welcome, I know what u mean about there not being as much interest in the UK for the thermomix, when I told my sister who lives in Southampton about mine (with much excitement i might add) she just looked at me with a blank expression so I'm paying her a visit in May and I will be showing her the web site and the forum. You definitely need the demo and then there will be nothing holding you back. Good cooking.

Bonsai

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 11:59:27 am »
Hi and welcome. I grew up in Reading (Tilehurst) before moving to Australia in the 1970s. I agree with everyone regarding the scrambled eggs (don't like them much anyway and,the mess!). Vegetarian food is great in the Thermomix - there are
Iots of good recipes that others have linked to already.  Home made cheese is a possibility, as is yogurt and paneer.

EnjouM

Offline joolsmicra

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 07:36:06 pm »
You will love it....(another uk resident, from Sheffield!)We all have the odd disaster, but I use mine almost every day in winter for soup, and in summer I use it as my range cooker is switched off....you were very brave to try scramled eggs!I have the same problem with porridge!

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 09:01:59 pm »
Good to see you again joolsmicra ... Have you tried cooking your porridge at speed 3 and then filling the jug with water immediately after you've served up the porridge?  It works a treat for me  ;)

Offline joolsmicra

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 11:10:47 am »
will try that Katya.....Im back on here to try some new recipes...Im getting a bit predictable!(rissotto, soup, cheese sauce, tomato sauce!oh, and curry!) Its 'souping' away at the mo, and smells lovely!

Offline jmc296

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »
I haven't tried scrambled egg in my tmx but I have done boiled eggs using the basket and they were perfect!