Author Topic: Gnocchi ricotta e basilico  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
Gnocchi ricotta e basilico
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:47:03 pm »
Name of Recipe:Gnocchi ricotta e basilico (even if I'm not sure you can buy ricotta cheese where you live)
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:
250 gr. ricotta cheese
A handful of basil  leaves
100 gr. Parmesan cheese
150/200 gr. flour
A pinch of salt
A pinch of nutmeg

Put in the ball the Parmesan cheese cut in chunks and the basil leaves: 10 sec. speed 7. Add all the other ingredients and knead at speed 6 until you won't obtain a very smooth and fragrant  dough (about 30 sec). and make cylinder shaped gnocchi. Cook in hot salted water until they come to the surface and then serve with fresh tomato sauce.

Preparation:

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Gnocchi ricotta e basilico
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:29:53 am »
yum good to try  :) 

bedidassi not to worry ricotta is readily available in most countries!  thanks for the post  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:02:41 am »
I'm sorry.  :-[ it's just that I was thinking it could be very stupid of me to write recipes with things which could be unavailable in other countries, but I suppose things have been changed since I lived in London. At that time, from 1984 to 1990, apart from Harrods, you coul not even find mozzarella. Thanks God for globalisation  ;D

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:05:23 am »
Yum bedassi,do you just use bakers flour- I though it was potato something? Sound good will give it a try.
Denise

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:48:03 am »
You are right, usually gnocchi are made with flour and potatoes but we have many other recipes, some with spinach, some with pumpking, this one is with cheese and plain flour but they are very very easy to make and the result is equally delicious  :P

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07:39 am »
no need to apologise bedidassi...just letting you know that things are different ..even in France I am finding it alot easier to find certain products that were impossible to find 10 years ago!!  A positive and negative I guess with that...my grandfather always called it bastardisation as with globalisation you will lose more and more the regional cuisine as people are in search of something different...and therefore usually foreign..

I have seen gnocchi done in many different ways but with pumpkin is also quite popular like you said bedidassi ..something different than the traditional potato recipe...are they still firm with the ricotta or softer or they turn out quite fine?? will definately be trying in any case!!  My DH loves the food (homemade of course)...he knows La Toscane well and that is where he spent every summer in San Miniato with family friends  :)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:50:14 am »
Bedidassi,
I have never cooked gnocchi but you have inspired me to have a go ,thanks
Denise

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 03:41:55 pm »
Yes Frozzie, you are absolutely right about the way bastardisation is quickly transform the way we cook but  :-\ I absolutely love ethnic food and I love the way now everything or almost anything is reachable. For example, I know it sound strange from an Italian, I do love English cider and till last month I wasn't able to buy it in Italy, so I was overjoyed when I saw on tv that now Heineken, I think, is starting to sell Strongbow in Italy. At the same time, however, I'm proud to have a  sort of book with all my family recipes which I will pass to my son when he will grow up. These gnocchi are softer than potatoes ones but they have a certain consistency, otherwise you wouldn't be able to roll them as cylinders..

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 06:16:43 pm »
thanks for the info bedidassi...i guess you just need to make sure its well drained beforehand (depending on how fresh it is)  :)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 08:23:41 pm »
thanks for the info bedidassi...i guess you just need to make sure its well drained beforehand (depending on how fresh it is)  :)

Yes, you've got right to the point: the important thing is to drain the ricotta well otherwise the gnocchi will be too soft...