Author Topic: Are you happy with your oven?  (Read 7039 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Are you happy with your oven?
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:05 am »
Just wanted to know if anyone is happy with their oven. Particularly interested to hear about those who have all gas (gas stovetop and gas oven) freestanding ovens and what brands they are.

TIA

stacelee

Re: Are you happy with your oven?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
I had a Westinghouse gas oven I loved when I moved into this house...unfortunately it died and it was going to cost too much to replace it (it was a bizzare size from the mid 80's).  I now have an Omega 1 1/2 oven which is okay but it hates me.  I also have a steam convection microwave that I've decided is my new best friend.  I've made mainly biscuits, bread and roasts in it so far and they have been great.  I'd actually replace my oven with a steam oven if it ever died again (unfortunately it is only 4 odd years old so I will have to wait a while)

jakodai

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:14:19 am »
Hell no! I hate mine. I'm sure the temperature is out (I need to buy an oven thermometer) and it cooks unevenly. Things on one side of the oven cook well while the other side is only half cooked. I have an electric cook top too, I like it but I struggle with it - I have burnt things a bit on it trying to figure it out. I'm in a rental though, so I kind of have to put up with the oven... :-(

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:30:38 am »
So-so. Like jakodai mine seems to cook one half quicker than the other but it's not too bad. Mine is an electric wall oven with separate grill which could also be used as an oven but the elements are too dirty from grilling so it smokes badly.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:24:25 pm »
I also have a steam convection microwave that I've decided is my new best friend. 

Stacelee what brand steam convection microwave oven do you have?  Is is a commercial oven or domestic?
I've been going to buy a Sharp convection microwave, but now I seem to be coveting a steam convection microwave.  I don't know much about them though.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

stacelee

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:42:21 pm »
Katie, I've only had mine for a week.  My previous sharp convection sadly died through overuse so I decided to get the steam convection to replace it.  So far I am very happy with it.  The microwave side of things is less powerful than my old one but the convection side works better.  The steam function is similar to using a normal steamer and it also combines with the convection for roasting etc.  it also has a proofing function which is great cos I do a lot of bread baking.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »
I have a gas cooktop and electric fan forced oven, both are 90cm wide. The oven is a Linea brand and I am having lots of trouble with it. it has not liked me from day one. We moved into this house just before Christmas one year, and I had everyone coming for Christmas lunch. I had no manual and couldn't get the oven to start. It was stuck on automatic mode and I had no idea how to get it to turn on. I managed to find a manual on the Internet, but it doesn't cook evenly. Lately, the temperature has been erratic, and I have to rely on the oven thermometer I bought and placed inside the oven.
The wide oven is great when we have lots of people over, and I can cook 4 trays of biscuits at one time. However, I feel like I am wasting lots of electricity when I heat it up to cook something for just our family. My mother has two wall ovens, one of which is smaller than the other. I think that this is more efficient than one large oven.
I do like my gas cooktop. However, one of my friends has an induction cooktop and I quite like this too
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 12:57:55 pm »
Thanks Stacelee.  The more I think about it the more I want the steam convection one  :)
Might have to google it and find out more about it.  Cheers Katie
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »
I have a large freestanding smeg electric oven with as hot plates and really don't like it.  The oven is very uneven and takes so long to heat up. The type f heat it uses also makes it very difficult to get a good crunch on anything. I can't wit or it o break down and need replacing, it's only about 5 Yeats old though so I might be waiting a while.

stacelee

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:23:38 pm »
I think that's one of the things I love about the convection microwave, it heats so fast.  Using it with the steam also seems to help with the cleaning, a quick wipe out and it is pretty much done.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:30 pm »
I have a Neff induction cooktop that is absolutely wonderful and a Miele oven and Miele steam micro and oven combo much easier to clean than the large freestanding deLonghi dual fuel I had before. Day 2 of owning TMX !! For me, looks like I won't be using my lovely oven so much.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »
Well it looks like most people aren't happy with their oven? Anyone own a Lofra?

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:07 am »
I have a gas cooktop and gas oven.  It's a freestanding Emilia brand.  I'm happy with mine  :)  It cooks everything evenly.  I only have a small 600mm one and would like a bigger one as I really have to wriggle my big lasagne dish in so it fits, but cooking wise it's great.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:44 am »
I have a Westinghouse fan forced oven which is good, and I have a huge Sharp convention microwave which is brilliant. I use the microwave for most of my baking.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

stacelee

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:27 am »
I loved my gas westinghouse until it died :(.  I replaced it with an Omega because I could get it at the right price as we deal with one of the wholesalers.  I also replaced my cooktop at the same time because I was down to two burners out of 4 working.  I've been happy with the Omega cooktop and love the wok burner on it but am very so so about the oven.  That's partially because I went from Gas to Electric and I find it takes soooooo long for the electric to heat and it also seems to be a bit uneven with cold spots.  I always swear that it hates me and pouts when I use the microwave instead of it (I'm sure that as soon as I buy appliances/cars etc they develop bizarre personalities)