Author Topic: HELP, sugarless marmalade/jam  (Read 8004 times)

Offline mrsb

• View Profile
HELP, sugarless marmalade/jam
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:22:08 am »
I've been looking at recipes for citrus marmalade or jam.

I'd really like to make one like the St. Dalfour brand made in France that they sell in Woolworths. Reason being is that it doesn't have sugar but uses grape juice concentrate. I have no idea how and wondered if anyone has made anything similar or has a recipe?

I have an abundance of lemons, limes and grapefruit that I don't know what to do with.

Offline mrsb

• View Profile
Re: HELP, sugarless marmalade/jam
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:23:27 am »
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot.  ???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:02:24 am »
Not a problem mrsb, we can move things to their correct thread.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:06:02 am »
MrsB - don't know if the information on this site would help at all . . http://www.domestifluff.com/2009/08/the-sugar-free-jam-plan/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:10:52 am »
I think you will have to use gelatin  or Agar agar, to get it to 'set'.  and then keep in fridge once opened. 

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »
Just a quick response as am supposed to be asleep!
Grape juice concentrate = grape juice with less water (!!) = fructose solution.
Fruisana = powdered fructose available OTC in supermarkets.

I imagine - as I've not tried it - you use the fructose rather than sugar to make the jam.

However, there's some controversy about fructose - which you might want to investigate first. The effort to use fructose might be better spent just using normal sugar.

Fructose apparently does not affect your insulin but does affect your liver and goes 'straight to your hips as fat'.
Google it.

Google also diabetic jams and jam-making - as the diabetic jams use fructose to avoid the insulin spike.

The MWOC cookbook has a recipe for using agar agar * I think*.

Anyway - I hope that has given you some food for thought. Google may well be your next best friend!!!
HTH
Regards
Gillian

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 02:46:12 am »
Have been making other jam today so while the mess was around thought I would have a go at some sugarless lemon jam.  Seems to have worked.  Will post underarm section.  Mrsb,  see what you think. !!!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:05 am »
I haven't got around to making this myself but here is a jam recipe using healthy coconut sugar that is simple. Not sure if you can eat that:
http://www.peggyk.com/recipes/guilt-free-jam/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:04:34 am »
Tasty,  love the idea of Coconut sugar and had some recently in a coffee shop.  I got on line to research it and to my dismay found that it was no more healthy than cane sugar.  B#%€{.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 05:08:08 am »
Now that I have discovered it Chookie, I love the taste and it's gotta be better than cane sugar as it's got more nutrients. I'd still use it over normal white sugar. Here is a little info on it and I have heard the other stuff too. Also, it's not needed for the jam recipe as it is optional.

Coconut sugar is a natural sugar derived directly from the sap of the coconut tree's flower blossoms.  The sap is collected, immediately boiled and crystallized into sugar crystals.  It's low on the glycemic index - much lower than cane sugar (35GI vs. 68GI) and has a significantly lower fructose content than agave nectar.  It's rich in minerals (magnesium, potassium and zinc) and vitamins B and C.  And it tastes DELICIOUS!  Kind of like caramel! from peggy kotsopoulos - holistic nutritionist

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:30 am »
Thanks Tasty,  this is what I read also,  but think it is not really good enough as it isn't as sweet as cane sugar so tempting to use more.  Did love the taste though.