Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5207985 times)

Bonsai

Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #4095 on: July 12, 2012, 01:02:21 pm »
Tongue is yum and brawn and kangaroo (use the mince all the time as it is much leaner than most beef mince). Can't cope with liver and kidneys after nasty school dinner experiences as a kid 😝. Brains too mushy but pigs trotters are nice. Tried duck tongue recently - really tasty, surprised they had a gristly bone in them.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #4096 on: July 12, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »
Ducks tongue? Really? How many tongues do you need for a feed?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Bonsai

« Reply #4097 on: July 12, 2012, 01:16:44 pm »
They are quite small (about 5cm x 1 cm), we had a plate of about 10 as part of a Chinese meal in Hong Kong. Don't think they'd make a meal by themselves. Not sure if you can buy them in Australia

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: July 12, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »
The Peking duck was good but not the bet we've ever had. We only have the pancake portion and there wasn't a lot of meat. 16 pancakes all up plus a few entrees was plenty for us. It's a bit of a treat but at $50 for the sixteen small pancakes not to bad, if we were bigger eaters it would be even more of a treat. It's more about the crispy skin, plum sauce and pancakes more than the tasteof the actual meat. I will ave to look up bamboo house as we are always looking for new places to try.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: July 12, 2012, 01:29:57 pm »
The Peking duck was good but not the bet we've ever had. We only have the pancake portion and there wasn't a lot of meat. 16 pancakes all up plus a few entrees was plenty for us. It's a bit of a treat but at $50 for the sixteen small pancakes not to bad, if we were bigger eaters it would be even more of a treat. It's more about the crispy skin, plum sauce and pancakes more than the tasteof the actual meat. I will ave to look up bamboo house as we are always looking for new places to try.

If you enjoyed it then doesn't matter about the cost.  But  if your bought one duck for less than $20 .....

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

jakodai

« Reply #4100 on: July 12, 2012, 02:15:34 pm »
Something with chicken. I got a pack of chicken out last night (the chicken from Costco comes in 3 individual packs of 2 breast pieces).

I am still yet to venture there J.....I want that wheel of brie for $25 I heard about  8)
....it's a shame that driving in Melbourne still freaks me out, so I haven't been game to venture there on my own  :-\

If you want to check it out Maddy, let me know - I can take in 2 guests with my membership. The downside is I have to make the payment for you (you have to be a member to pay). Saves you paying for the $60 membership for some cheese... lol

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: July 12, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »
 l think l would rather starve   than eat any off that gross stuff that you guys talk about
l cant stand the thought of it

South West WA AUSTRALIA

jakodai

« Reply #4102 on: July 12, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »
I'm glad I'm not the only one, bazar!!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: July 12, 2012, 07:43:04 pm »
It's still miserable weather here so I thought we would have some comfort food.... Shepherds Pie. :) DH had Rhubarb and Cinnamon cake with cream for dessert. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #4104 on: July 12, 2012, 09:12:22 pm »
l think l would rather starve   than eat any off that gross stuff that you guys talk about
l cant stand the thought of it

Same here. Yuck. (except for kangaroo)
All the other stuff I will never try. Not that I have tasted any other stuff to really say I don't like it, it's more that I couldn't even bring my self to put it in my mouth. I was watching Australians amazing race when they had to eat cooked duck eggs with a baby duckling in it and that made me gag :o
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: July 12, 2012, 09:44:37 pm »
Yuk, and scary....
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: July 13, 2012, 12:13:58 am »
I don't know what tripe is. And the only brains I've ever eaten were some lollies called 'mokey brains' ;D

I saw a recipe for fried brains in our CWA cookbook and thought it was a misprint :o

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: July 13, 2012, 12:19:19 am »
YUK.... no brains, kidneys, tripe, liver or tongue in my food.

My mum often makes steak and kidney pie, and gives some to DH as I hate the stuff and never make it for him. He is so deprived LOL
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38:45 am »
Bacon and egg pie tonight :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: July 13, 2012, 01:03:58 am »
That sounds so much nicer than the other gross stuff being talked about here obbie! ;D

Gross out - brains, liver (except liver meatballs are yum  :-)) ), tounge....  :P gross!! But I love kangaroo and rabbit. Have tried snake but that was gross.
:D