Author Topic: Pavlova  (Read 15866 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pavlova
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 02:38:16 am »
I'm pretty sure she means to make one lot of the 150g sugar into icing sugar Mel as she later says 'add the sugars' (castor sugar that would be plus the sugar you have made into icing sugar).
I've never had much luck with meringues but beating egg whites these days, we seem to do it at 37oC to help achieve volume. Meringues seem to be tricky things to make in the TMX, you need to have your whites at room temperature but I can never get the amount of volume I get with the electric beaters. A lot of us have given up and have gone back to the old ways but have a go and let us know how you get on.  Some seem to have better luck than others.  I have seen a video on beating whites on someone's blog and when I did exactly the same thing, mine were nothing like hers!

This is the video I referred to http://www.stephberg.com/?p=2074
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:40:57 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 02:44:14 am »
Great work you guys.  This recipe I will have to try.

Offline Melicious

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 07:01:38 am »
Thanks for the reply Judy.
Will let you know how I get on

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 06:11:00 am »
Sorry, thought that I had replied to this - think you will need 300g of sugar for that many egg whites.  Compare with other recipes and I think that 300g would be right?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 03:34:40 pm »
Yes, 300g is correct, 150 g of each! ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 11:45:31 pm »
Great work Bron.  Can't wait to give this a go. Thanks so much.

Offline Huon100

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 09:27:15 am »
Can anyone help me, I found a recipe from chookwomen for pav, tried it and it failed dismally.  for some reason my machine after putting in boiling water went to 50 degrees and I could not get it down, is this normal and how do I cancel temp once started.  I switched off the machine, took the jug off and started again and it just went back to 50........any suggestions?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 10:17:46 am »
I take it this is the recipe you attempted Huon100 -  http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2733.0

When beating egg whites, it is now recommended we use a bit of heat.  I have read both 37o & 50o so when your temperature went up to the latter, it would have been OK to continue beating for the 15 minutes and finishing the recipe.

Meringues are definitely the hardest thing to do in the TMX with mixed success.  I personally don't have great success so prefer to use my mixmaster but every now and then I give it another whirl to see if my luck has changed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:41 am »
I was sent a pav recipe called "Christmas Pavlova". Whilst searching through this forum I came across brazens recipe which appears to be exactly the same but using the 50o. I used 6 egg whites, and I must say it wasn't a very big pavlova. What it lacked in size though it made up for in taste. We decorated it with the Raspberry Cream with cherries on top.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand