Author Topic: For Cuilidh/Marina, Steamed Sweet Potato and Coconut Custard.  (Read 6783 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
For Cuilidh/Marina, Steamed Sweet Potato and Coconut Custard.
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:12:14 am »
Warning,  I have not tested this conversion.   However i don't see why it wouldn't work.  It is very simple. I have converted it from a recipe in the Dish Magazine. I thought it was going to be a savory mix that could be used in a quiche,  but it is obviously a sweet dish.  A bit like pumpkin Pie,  without the spices.

Steam in the Varoma,400g. sweet potato,(Kumara) peeled and chopped,  until cooked. Set aside and cool.
Tip out water and dry bowl well.
Add 3/4 cup of Palm sugar to bowl and zap until it is a fine powder.  If no palm sugar use,  1/2 brown sugar and 1/2  maple syrup.
Add 2 eggs
      2/3 cup of coconut milk
      1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
mix 10 seconds/ speed 5
Add cooled Sweet Potato and mix 20 seconds/ speed 7.
Add 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut and zap to incorporate.

Divide custard between 6 x 100mls ramekins,  filling them to 1cm from the top.
Cover with foil and steam in
Varoma for 30 minutes,  or until just set.  Remove foil and cool.

Place each custard on a serving plate and top with a little coconut cream and toasted shaved coconut.
Serve with fruit.

Note....If you place the tin of coconut cream in the fridge over night a thick layer of cream will set at the top.  (Tanina's Tip)
I "borrowed" the photo from Dish.
Members' comments
Marina - These custards turned out really well and are very rich (we could only have half a ramekin each!), they tasted a wee bit too coconutty for me so I would possibly drop out or reduce the amount of desiccated coconut at the end. I served them plain but I think they would really benefit from the addition of the coconut cream and maybe some mango or slivered almonds.

This is the conversion I used:

400 g sweet potato
95 g palm sugar
2 eggs
150 ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
10 g desiccated coconut

I zapped the sugar first then set it aside.  I then followed your recipe with the exception that, at both of the varoma stages I cooked up rice  quinoa in the basket in the jug as I just couldn't leave the jug doing nothing else whilst it was steaming the kumara / ramekins.
This was very easy to make and I think it would make a great summer / Xmas day dessert.

So, my conclusion is, make these a day or two in advance, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge until you are ready to eat them and you have got a totally delicious dessert.  I'll defrost one of the frozen ones at the weekend and see how they survive the freezer. Update - the same applies to the frozen desserts, defrost them the day before eating them.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:34:35 am by judydawn »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: For Cuilidh/Marina, Steamed Sweet Potato and Coconut Custard.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »
Chookie, thank you so much for this recipe.  It sounds gorgeous (I love kumara) and it is now top of my list for next weekend's holiday cooking session.  Unfortunately my DH won't be up with me for the long weekend so I'll just have to tell him all about what he missed!

I'm actually meeting with a fellow new TMX owner on Friday - I wonder if I'll have time to cook this before our get together so I can show off my cooking skills - may be a bit tight, though, got an electrician booked to come in the morning so I may be out of action.  Ah well, if I get up really early I might be in with a chance.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »
Hi Chookie - I finally managed to make this this weekend.  My major plans for the long weekend cook-a-ton last week fell through when I caught a cold and spent most of the weekend lolling about doing nothing - a bit boring but the enforced rest was welcome!

These custards turned out really well and are very rich (we could only have half a ramekin each!), they tasted a wee bit too coconutty for me so I would possibly drop out or reduce the amount of dessicated coconut at the end.  I also thought it may taste a bit too kumara'y (sorry, that's a new word I have just invented) for me, but that taste didn't come through too strongly at all.  I served them plain but I think they would really benefit from the addition of the coconut cream and maybe some mango or slivered almonds.

This is the conversion I used:

400 g sweet potato
95 g palm sugar
2 eggs
150 ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
10 g dessicated coconut

I zapped the suger first then set it aside.  I then followed your recipe with the exception that, at both of the varoma stages I cooked up rice  quinoa in the basket in the jug as I just couldn't leave the jug doing nothing else whilst it was steaming the kumara / ramekins.

This was very easy to make and I think it would make a great summer / Xmas day dessert.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:22 pm »
Marina,  sorry to hear about your cold,  but at least you could rest with the long weekend.  Thanks for trying the recipe.  Could you leave out the coconut, or does it need it or texture!?

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »
Dear Chookie,  This recipe looks great to me.  My DH is a Kiwi, so we have a lot of kumara.  I will try it as soon as I get hold of either palm sugar or maple syrup.  Thanks!
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:13:10 pm »
Chookie, adding the dessicated coconut definitely gives it a bit of texture, but I think leaving it out would not detract from the final custard either.  Probably very much a personal choice.

Incidentally I couldn't get six ramekins in the varoma tray, but then, this morning, I thought .... could I have put some in the bottom dish (not thinking logically at the time, obviously).  Must look into that option when I make this next.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 01:12:05 am »
Marina,  when I use the aroma to steam I usually use both top and bottom.  Give it a go.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »
When I made these, I put some in the freezer and kept two out to eat straight away.  I have just done something really strange for me - I forgot about one of the ones that I had left in the fridge (very unusual thing to happen here) and remembered it last night and it was so much nicer after sitting for two days, I could have eaten the entire one by myself this time, but felt it only fair to share with DH! 

So, my conclusion is, make these a day or two in advance, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge until you are ready to eat them and you have got a totally delicious dessert.  I'll defrost one of the frozen ones at the weekend and see how they survive the freezer.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 11:56:23 pm »
Marina,  thanks for the feed back.   Looking good for something a bit different for Xmas.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:20:38 am »
OK, the final verdict is in. 

I thawed out a couple of these at the weekend and they survived the freezer perfectly (although part of each one pulled away slightly from the side of the ramekin).  I had one on the day I took them out of the freezer and it was exactly like the freshly made one last week – very coconutty and rich (because I was by myself and couldn’t hand half of it to DH to finish off, it took me a wee while to work my way through it).  The other one was eaten the day after it came out of the freezer and, once, again as with when it was fresh, I found the second day one was less rich, less coconutty and more to my taste.

So, if you were thinking of doing these for any occasion, I would suggest to either make them a day or two before and keep them in the fridge or freeze them and defrost them the day before eating them.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 02:41:18 am »
Marina,  thanks for such a comprehensive review of this recipe.   Great work.