Author Topic: Review & Tweak - Bolognaise Sauce - 1 Pot Version  (Read 15681 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Review & Tweak - Bolognaise Sauce - 1 Pot Version
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:38 pm »
Recipe Name: Bolognaise Sauce (Ragu)
Book Name: EDC
Tweaking details: Convert to 1 Pot Version
Score: (out of 5*) 5 out of 5 for reducing dishes!

So I figured that if I can cook the pasta with tuna (EDC cookbook) in 1 pot, then I can cook the spaghetti in with the bolognaise sauce instead of on the stove.

Ingredient Tweaks
700g tomato puree instead of 350
Plus
1 cup water
1 tblsp vegetable stock concentrate
Oregano & thyme
Spaghetti (whatever amount you'd normally cook for this quantity sauce - 4-5 serves from tupperward canister)

Follow normal method.  When adding tomato puree, paste, salt & pepper, also add additional ingredients including spaghett, broken in thirds.  Proceed according to instructions, until spaghetti is cooked which is approximately  15 minutes as per original recipe.

So spaghetti has helped the bolognaise reduced, and absorbed some flavour during the cooking process.  Yum!

Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Review & Tweak - Bolognaise Sauce - 1 Pot Version
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:31:14 pm »
Sounds too easy Cathy.  A must try for me.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:54:20 pm »
Clever Cathy  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:12:28 pm »
I did the tuna with spaghetti on Saturday at a delivery demo; we used spaghetti and didn't break it - it came out beautifully I was very impressed needed a few minutes longer to cook as it took time to go soft and sink into the sauce. We also use 2 tins of tuna and less pasta than the EDC.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:50:03 pm »
Hey, just a tip for those wanting to try an alternative, you can soften the spaghetti above in the varoma whilst making sauce below, it softens quite a bit, then you can add to the jug and finish it off. I have done this when making a pasta dish with clams in tomato sauce, it worked really well.  ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:28:00 am »
Good tip Bron, thanks  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12:56 am »

Hey, just a tip for those wanting to try an alternative, you can soften the spaghetti above in the varoma whilst making sauce below, it softens quite a bit, then you can add to the jug and finish it off. I have done this when making a pasta dish with clams in tomato sauce, it worked really well.  ;) ;)

Good Thiking. I'll use that tip.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:33 am »
I did the tuna with spaghetti on Saturday at a delivery demo; we used spaghetti and didn't break it - it came out beautifully I was very impressed needed a few minutes longer to cook as it took time to go soft and sink into the sauce. We also use 2 tins of tuna and less pasta than the EDC.
Interesting, I'd been told that it all gets tangled it too long, so that's why I broke it up.  But if it works unbroken, even better!  There's lot's of little tips coming out of the woodwork which is fantastic.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:07:04 am »
Thanks Cathy - it gets stuck for me sometimes - but just turn bowl upside down and twiddle the knob to loosen it up.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 05:00:21 am »
If it gets stuck for me I do the same as Thermomixer, no trouble at all.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:32:39 am »
I have made this a couple of times and find it very easy.  Thanks Cathy.  I find my pasta takes an extra 5 minutes or so to cook this way and I have to add some extra water (about 150g) in the last 5 minutes to avoid having it burnt onto the base.  When the pasta starts to soften I also give it a quick blast on reverse speed 3 to mix the pasta through and really get it cooking.  :)

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:10:51 pm »
I am making this as we "speak" or better, as I write.... Its stormy weather outside and this is the perfect food to heat our body and soul. Thanks for posting this recipe. One of my resolutions this year is to cook moire "one pot meals" or "oven meals". Less washing up and less coordinating in the kitchen to make sure meat, gravy, chips, sauce and vegetables are all hot and ready to go to the table. I used to make too many of these and then have loads of pots, pans, saucers to wash up...
Barbara

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 04:36:14 pm »
Thank you C79, will definately give this version a try in near future and report back.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline SydneyMama

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »
Hi, I made this yesterday and really enjoyed it!

I minced veal scotch fillet and it turned out really well.

Also I used fetuccine (300g) and added it at the same time as the tomato puree (700g). I used total 150g wine and 50g additional water.

As with all the recipes I've tried so far I found I needed to double the onion and garlic quantities to suit our tastes.

It was a hit with our dinner guests. Only criticism was perhaps a bit oily so I will try lowering the oil maybe down to 25g instead of 50g?

*edited for lousy spelling!*
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:01:42 am by SydneyMama »

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »
Hi SydneyMama, glad you liked it.

Garlic and onion are certainly very personal.   I think I usually use more garlic than suggested.  And yes, definitely try halving the oil.  I'm not sure if I even use 25g?  Something I've been meaning to try is just spraying the bottom of the jug with my oil.