Author Topic: Chookie in Norway  (Read 12765 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Chookie in Norway
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:56:51 pm »
Hi all you happy TMX ers.  We arrived over night on a large ferry,  from Copenhagen.  2000. People and 300 cars.    Am still testing bread everywhere and although I love the dark rye bread which is loaded with seeds and treacle,  I have not found anything which is as good as Farfallinas rye loaf or Isi's rolls.  Have eaten a few different meat balls.  The traditional ones are large not small. Had some smoked Reindeer in pasta.  Good,  but not something we will have at home.   A lot of pork in eaten in Scandinavia.  Also had sweet and sour pickled herring.  Very nice.  Oslo is a lovely city, and the 3 Rd. Largest producer of oil in the world.  Visited a Viking boat Museum today,  fascinating.  Will log in when I can, a. Bit hit and miss.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chookie in Norway
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
Hi Chookie, you sound as though you are having a ball.Don't fancy the sweet and sour pickled herring  :P but the bread tasting sounds great  ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline marnie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:04:24 pm »
Hi Chookie

I am in Canada and leaving for Gotburg on June 8th, after that on to Stockholm and Copenhagen, so far.  What was the name of the ship that you took from Copenhagen to Norway, and does it run frequently?

Marnie

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:19:57 am »
...aah, ever the Gourmet Traveller  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »
Hi Chookie

I am in Canada and leaving for Gotburg on June 8th, after that on to Stockholm and Copenhagen, so far.  What was the name of the ship that you took from Copenhagen to Norway, and does it run frequently?

Marnie
Marnie,  the ferry we caught was the
Pearl  Of. Scandinavia. I understand that it runs every day.  It leaves Copenhagan at 5 pm. Each day and arrives in OSlo at 9 am the following morning.  There appears to be several grade of cabin and we had what was called the Commodore Class.   I have no idea what it cost as it was included in the tour.  Norway is by miles our fav. Of the Scandinadian countries.  We sailed on a fjord today and I can recommend the Viking Museum in Oslo as well as their new  Opera House.  have fun and let us know how you go.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 02:29:44 am »
I love reading about the travels of Chookie! Especially when it's about the food. Glad you're loving Norway.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:40:02 pm »
Wow, today I found some bread that was VERY different.  It was triangular in shape,  and was lightly flecked with dried tomatoes or pumpkin.   (. Couldn't tell).  The texture and flavor were great,  but it was the shape that was the challenge.  I think it was cooked in your regular bread tin but turned on it's edge.  It would have to prove,  for the second rise, on it's edge, propped up with a towel.  To cook , it would also have to be cooked either sitting between the rungs in the oven,  or propped up.     Like the pipe loaf it gives a nice size slice of bread.  Although the breakfast loaf was rye/wholemeal/seeds,  it could be made with any type of mix.

Today we have visited up close to a glacier,  and tonight a lecture on Norways history.  This is indeed a beautiful country.  As I Type this I am looking out the window at massive mountains covered in snow.  The sun is shining and the temp is 19o C.  We are eating a lot of fish,  and there is smoked salmon and caviar for breakfast.
2 1/2  weeks to go !!!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 03:27:33 pm »
the challenge is to find the different bread and its correct name because quite often you may find something similar on the web or Utube. Its a life experience chookie, and I know that you will be able to pass on your experiences to other people - food is all about sharing.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:36:36 am »
It sounds like you have some real challenges ahead of you when you get home Chookie to replicate some of the lovely things you've eaten and I can't wait to see your postings as undoubtedly you will succeed with most of them.  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 03:03:04 pm »
CP63, I found the name of the  bread........ Solsikkebrod.   Ihave tried to google it,  without much luck.  Don't have time for further investigation.  will have to wait.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 05:45:05 pm »
Arrived in Bergen ,  Norway today.   Have now tried 3 different types of meat balls.  These were made with lamb and spiced with ginger and mace.  A bit solid.  Will try other when I get home.  Tomorrow is the last day of our tour.  It has been excellent.  It is run by Tauck tours, out of America and has been excellent value for money.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 01:48:09 am »
Chookie I read about your holiday with envy. All the breads sound  fascinating. Enjoy your last couple of weeks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 01:58:07 am »
Won't be long now Chookie, what a great holiday you have had.  Enjoy the last destination then drag your exhausted bodies onto the plane and come on home  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 03:48:51 am »
Keep enjoying yourself Chookie.  You will sure have lots of wonderful memories to bring home with you.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 03:38:16 pm »
Today ate Reindeer and  Moose casserole.  Very nice and TMX friendly.  Served with mashed potatoes and a red berry sauce.   We eat breakfast and a late lunch and that is it for the day.  I still manage to put on weight!!!!!