Author Topic: Home-Made Bread Too Heavy  (Read 19815 times)

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
Re: Home-Made Bread Too Heavy
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 08:11:49 am »
Thanks again for everyone's tips... I will try the Tang Zhong and I also came across a milk bread recipe I'd like to try.

I've been having more success by increasing the water in my recipe... I use organic flours and ~30% wholemeal and I think they just take a lot more water.  I think my doughs were too tight before so they didn't rise; since adding more water (until the dough is almost sloppy but still forms a ball when being kneaded in the TMX) I'm having a lot more success; the loaves are nice and tall and look good.

The only thing I'd like to improve is how fine the bubbles are... I think this is where the softness comes in to it.  I've overcome the 'heavy' with extra water... now I'm just working on getting it softer!
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 06:36:52 pm »
Thanks again for everyone's tips... I will try the Tang Zhong and I also came across a milk bread recipe I'd like to try.

I've been having more success by increasing the water in my recipe... I use organic flours and ~30% wholemeal and I think they just take a lot more water.  I think my doughs were too tight before so they didn't rise; since adding more water (until the dough is almost sloppy but still forms a ball when being kneaded in the TMX) I'm having a lot more success; the loaves are nice and tall and look good.

The only thing I'd like to improve is how fine the bubbles are... I think this is where the softness comes in to it.  I've overcome the 'heavy' with extra water... now I'm just working on getting it softer!

There are some bakers who are proponents of the "autolyse"  component of bread making.   One of the shows on America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated, discussed this and I would post the link except it is by subscription only.

Anyway, the gist of it is simply to mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients (except for salt), cover the bowl and leave it to "hydrate" or soak up the liquid for 20 to 30 minutes (or longer) BEFORE adding the yeast and going ahead with the first knead.   
This was considered especially important with whole grain flour and also doughs containing whole grains, seeds and etc.

This page has some useful information - scroll down to Autolyse and read what he says about it.

I often soak whole grains, cracked wheat, oats, barley, quinoa, and millet overnight if I am going to add them to bread.  I drain off any excess water but they often have soaked up most of it. 

When I use the autolyse method,  I don't add the soaked whole grains until after I have added the yeast and done some of the kneading and then I add some of the wet grains until fully incorporated and then add the rest gradually.   I think I get better distribution this way. 
If I am kneading by hand,  I stretch and pull the dough into a big rectangle, spread the wet grains and seeds on top of it and then roll it into a long, fold in the ends and continue kneading. 
I don't do this much nowadays because of arthritis in my hands but at one time I did a lot of kneading by hand and I have the muscles in my shoulders to prove it. :D

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 01:31:29 am »
Patsycate, I've been making bread ever since I bought my TMX, and been fairly happy with the results, even though DS7 thinks it's the 'wrong shape'! However, I recently stumbled upon a bread book that's been self-published by a TMX consultant at http://tickofyum.webs.com. I bought a copy and learnt a lot about the science of bread, and also picked up some great ideas for trying different breads. In my opinion it was $10 well spent.

Now to get a proper bread baking tin, rather than just using a couple of smaller loaf tins ...
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 01:39:42 am »
One rise in my bread mat, shape into the tin then rise in the fridge. Pull it out when I get up, preheat the oven, cook when the oven is hot and also throw some boiling water in a dish in the bottom of the oven  :D

Oh, I misinterpreted someone's suggestion of proving in the fridge. I kneaded in TMX then shaped and put in fridge overnight. The suggestion said it turned out much the same. Mine didn't! Next time I will try as you and just do the second rise in the fridge. It is so convenient getting it preparedin the evening.
Denise

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:22 am »
' I've overcome the 'heavy' with extra water... now I'm just working on getting it softer!'

Sorry, for some reason my computer isn't letting me use the quote button, so I can't get the nice little grey box.

I've found that adding chia seeds makes the bread softer. Add 20g seeds to the flour, and add an extra 40g water, as the seeds absorb water. This is one tip I picked up from the book I mentioned last post.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 09:48:32 am »
Could you soak the chia seeds do you think?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »

When I soak chia seeds, I add only enough water to cover them, then add small amounts as they absorb it (it doesn't take very long).  They develop little gelatinous "bubbles" around each seed and I don't want to wash that away as I want it in my bread so as soon as most are encased in the "bubbles" I don't add more water. 

I do soak and wash quinoa because it has a coating of saponin, which is bitter.  Here in the U.S. a couple of companies are offering pre-washed quinoa (Bob's Red Mill, Roland, Ancient Harvest) but I usually buy the bulk which has not been washed.
Sometimes people simply do not read the directions (if buying bulk there are none) to wash the grain prior to cooking and then wonder why the cereal is bitter. 

Quinoa information here.

Offline natmum

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 06:58:17 am »
 :) Okay after reading everyone's tips I myself tried again! Guess what lovely white soft rolls...just like the brought ones!! I am so so happy!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Nat

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46:18 am »
I bet you are natmum - there will be no stopping you now.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 10:14:19 am »

Soaked chia seeds is called chia gel and it is highly nutritious (far more nutritious than unsoaked seeds). We add chia gel to everything - smoothies, pancakes, bread etc.  Here is my recipe for it.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »

Soaked chia seeds is called chia gel and it is highly nutritious (far more nutritious than unsoaked seeds). We add chia gel to everything - smoothies, pancakes, bread etc.  Here is my recipe for it.

Thanks for that, Chelsea.  Great advice.   I know some people are hesitant about the chia gel but I've always considered it a bonus!

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 12:19:12 am »
Thanks Chelsea, I looked on your blog and will definely purchase some chia seeds. Nice to see local available and good price and as well as being packed with goodness have a long shelf life. Love your blog btw. ( and your waffle cones, very clever)
Denise