Author Topic: need help  (Read 21983 times)

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
need help
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:48:13 am »
hey peeps.
im just starting out as a consultant and im have problems getting bookings ive just had my only booking canceled  yesturday and im at a loss for wat to do.

i have had friends tell me to give up but i love doing the demos and showing off thermi. my gl is going to thermofest soon so she wont be any help for a week.
im hoping somone might be looking for a new consultant or know someone who dose im in oakleigh melbourne but dont mind traveling a bit.
if u can help me please do  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »
Sorry to hear your booking was cancelled Kathleen - they are hard enough to get in the first place. Anymore friends you can call on to put the word out if they themselves have already had one, relatives, neighbours, Mums waiting to collect their kidlets from school.  Hope you can pick one up whilst your GL is away, good luck.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »
Hang in there, Kathleen.  Whenever I am down if I can't pick up demos, I do two things- cook and reflect.  Then pick up the phone.  Some days I don't have the courage to ring and ask people cold if they'd like a demo.  On those days in my reflection time I just get out the manual and study it, then list anyone who comes to mind.  On another day if I'm still failing in self-belief, I might look up the numbers of people I've listed.  Then, when I'm more organized, it takes much less effort to make contact and ask the question personally.  Don't be downhearted- you will hear lots of nos on the way to yes.
There is lots of admin to do to prepare yourself to being a successful consultant.  An hour spent going over instructions at meeting or sending out messages about latest offers is worthwhile.  If phonecalls don't work one day, try text messages the next.  Emails and private Facebook msgs or chat are great too as ppl can ignore you if they're not immediately interested.
I wish you well.  I know the feeling.  That's where the power of teamwork will uphold you.  If you have several weeks when you can't get a demo don't give up.  Get out and mix with your team and feel the achievement of the group as a whole.  Working on l
Commission is not for everyone but if you've taken it on, I'll bet you're one who feels the pride of workmanship that comes from giving customers a good demo.  Good luck!
PS. Another tip for inspiration for thinking of possible hosts - be very conscious in your self-talk as you drive around --- ah yes, my former co-worker x lives in this street/ my cousin went to that school/ the lady in that shop knows lots of people etc.
Pps networking!!  Pm me your email address and I'll send you a GoGetter talk on that topic.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:47:26 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:18:22 pm »
I'm not really into cold calling, but a friend of mine was selling a product on commission similar to TMX and was feeling like she had run out of family and friend contacts..   Thought she was going no-where, and about to give up.
She decided she was not a quitter and just needed a new approach.
She designed an A4 size flyer and printed it out on nice paper, giving a brief description with photos etc.
Each was carefully rolled and tied with pretty ribbon and she did a letter box drop with them,
She targetted more affluent suburbs and found she received enough interest and bookings to get things rolling again by reaching a totally new group of people.
Just an idea.... ;)
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

jakodai

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:36:47 pm »
Hi Kathleen, the reason I asked where in Melbourne you were was because in a few months I want to buy a thermomix (I'm aiming for June, but possibly July) and because I have gained so much knowledge from this forum (most recently the decision NOT to buy one of the Belinni machines, which had I not seen the comments and reviews from people on here, I probably would have purchased when I saw it in the Target catalog, so thank you everyone!) I want purchase one from a forum member, and I'd love to help out a 'newby' because I know how hard starting anything can be. I know it doesn't help you now, but something to look forward to may help you stay motivated.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help about now, but I think the letterbox drop is a great idea.

And don't worry about the people who are negative, your friends should support you whatever decision you make. If we all stopped when things got too hard, we wouldn't have anything.

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:07:26 pm »
ive done a letter box drop with no response but thermo has been in the news more since and i have plans to do another one. my friends are surportive they are just conserned.
im at a loss i was out tonight and ask my friends but they have seen it that many times they are over it lol they all want one cant afford it but they wont one.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »
If you think you've "done" your own friends, try visiting another family member (eg parent) and make a list of the people they suggest.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:09:24 pm »
I can't give you advice for cold calling, but I can tell you that a friend who lives down in Valencia, near the Magic Mountain fun park, and sells mobility scooters/powered wheelchairs,  had a magnetic sign made for her van that says "If interested in a demonstration of a powered chair or scooter in your home, call this number and ask for Maria."  then lists here phone number and fax number.

She has told me that during the two weeks after she got the sign, she had three or four times as many calls as from her ad in the newspaper. 
She has four boys and does a lot of driving (and parking and waiting) them to various sports venues, one skates, one plays tennis and the other two soccer. 

She hands her business cards out to most people she meets, at schools, at church, casual social events, etc., and tells them to pass them along to people who may need assistance with mobility. 

The sign is magnetic so she can remove it if they are using the van to go to an event where a vehicle with a commercial message might be considered vulgar.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:42 pm »
I'm a big fan of magnetic signs Andie, and have used them for years (re another business, not TMX). These days they don't serve me so well as I am not driving as much. (More walking now, to help with my diabetes, but that's another story...)

The beauty of that concept, imho and why it's working for your friend is that as the gets in and out of the van etc, and as she sits in traffic even, people see HER and can make a decision about whether or not they may want HER in their home for a scooter demo etc. Does she look like their daughter, or friend, or like she might just be a kind, understanding sort of person etc. If they have seen her once (even from a distance as she was parking etc.) they will feel more comfortable to invite her to their home, rather than making the call to an unknown entity.

Familiarity -- even presumed familiarity -- can work wonders! Glad to hear your friend is enjoying newfound success. I hope the advice from Thermomix buddies here will help Kathleenm find some too  ;)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 09:53:06 pm »
i had thourght of magnets but i dont have my own car my bf has been driving me around :P
i need an in to a particular market so th chain of demos can begin its getting it to continue the i find hard no one wants to see it a second time and some want to keep it secret so they can apper real cheffy to thier friends i feel like i need to stop rewind and start over (must be somthing i missed).

Offline kathleenm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:55 am »
I had a delivery to make today the girl was over the moon her godmother in perth had bought it for her as a wedding gift instead of a kitchen aid. Neither the girl or her fiance has seen one before except for on youtube. she was so excited and enthusiastic and so was he they couldn't wait to book a demo. And when I got home I got a call to book another the day after. I'm hoping this is the beginning and it will take off from here I'm still going to try some of the suggestions Ive received from everyone so figures crossed

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 10:23:42 am »
You go girl!!!  We've all got our fingers crossed for you!!   :D :D :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 10:26:33 am »
There you go, the ball is rolling and you are off and running - good luck.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:16:45 am »
Fantastic news Kathleen ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Tan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »
great work kathleen - the demos will start to come - i was so worried when i first started as a consultant that i had no one in my circle of friends who would really want to help me.
The more you talk to people about thermomix - the more will come back to you.
Its not easy sometimes but it is so worht it - i am loving introducing families to this wonderful machine.
Good luck
 :)
Tan