Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521237 times)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #9180 on: June 26, 2013, 11:28:41 am »
Gert you have convinced me,but rather than spend the money on the Kribbit  for myself I am going to get it sent to my Mum in England as she has recently purchased an ipad.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: June 26, 2013, 12:21:45 pm »
I saw the cookbooks too Kim, although got 2 of them at Coles for $5 each last year. I hope the cast iron cook wear holds up?

It didn't cost a fortune - will let you know how it fares.

That was a great price for the books mich.. Got two as thought they were good but the third one didnt appeal to me as much..

Hope the cast iron cookware holds up for you... :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

mcmich

Re: Re: Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #9182 on: June 26, 2013, 07:13:57 pm »
Bought some cookware from Aldi today. Really good prices. The pie dish comes with a funnel and pie weights for only $6.99. All in my favourite colour Red  :D
After my spend up this morning I went back to get a French pan too :)  mine is a dusty blue colour :)

The dusty blue was so pretty. Will be interested to see how they hold up? I have a Le Creuset casserole dish, so have something to compare it to.

stacelee

« Reply #9183 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »
I bought a cast iron french pan from Aldi a while ago and it has been fine.  Its probably one of my favourites of my cookware.  It seems to be holding up very well and for the amount that I use it (maybe once a week) I can't justify a more expensive one.  I'm heading there today (I hope) to see if they have any of the roasting dishes left.  I'm always a bit sceptical about the value in some of the more expensive name branded items, unfortunately you don't always get what you pay for....most of my kitchen is stocked with "commercial" kitchenware which may not be as pretty but is definitely as functional and durable.  My absolute favourite frypan is a cheap black iron/blue steel frypan which costs a whole $27 and is almost indestructible and my teenagers haven't killed.

I had a great night at T2 last night, I went to a tea tasting of Assam and Darjeeling Tea and came home with a free teapot and packet of tea.  While I was there I stocked up on the Lavender and Chamomile tea and a packet of Irish Breakfast for my mother.  Love that shop and the staff are always lovely.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: June 26, 2013, 10:05:25 pm »
I have a heap of cast iron frypans, saucepans, griddle, camp ovens.
all from good camping shops, heaps cheaper, and they have lasted years. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: June 26, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »
Did anyone buy the airfryer, and is it any good..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: June 27, 2013, 12:49:52 am »
Michelle, I bought the same large casserole dish from Aldi a few years ago. I don't use it that much but I've found the quality to be great and can't tell the difference between it and my Le Crueset - if anything the Aldi one is a thicker and heavier iron. I'm not sure if it's the same size but I find mine a little too big for us.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #9187 on: June 27, 2013, 12:52:57 am »
Bought some cookware from Aldi today. Really good prices. The pie dish comes with a funnel and pie weights for only $6.99. All in my favourite colour Red  :D
After my spend up this morning I went back to get a French pan too :)  mine is a dusty blue colour :)

The dusty blue was so pretty. Will be interested to see how they hold up? I have a Le Creuset casserole dish, so have something to compare it to.

Yes it will be interesting to see...Wonder & Stacelee's reviews seem like a positive start. With having my TMX, I don't use my stove as much as I used to and so I just can't justify the price of the Le Crueset. Today I might have to go back to get the roasting dish  :o
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: June 27, 2013, 05:58:54 am »
I hijacked the parcel post man this morning hoping for my Kribbitt, but the parcel was DD's  :'( perhaps tomorrow.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #9189 on: June 27, 2013, 06:52:48 am »
Thanks Stacelee and Wonder for the reviews. Like Jams said that sounds like a good start. At $24.99 it was worth buying.

Robyn, the camping stores are an economical alternative and are made to last.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: June 27, 2013, 06:59:25 am »
always used cast iron fry pans ect, No fancy Name ones.. :)

[/url

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: June 27, 2013, 07:08:04 am »
Bought an "apple machine" (as the kids call them - those ones that cut into spirals) as a farewell gift for dd's playcentre - we finish there in two weeks after being at that particular centre for almost 5 years (well dd not so long of course).
From next term she will just do kindy.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

mcmich

« Reply #9192 on: June 27, 2013, 07:11:38 am »
That's a lovely gift Jo - very good for a pre-school.

I hope your DD settles into Kindy well.

How's your weather? Was talking to my in-laws and they said it had been snowing in Christchurch - BBBRRR!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:39 am »
Do they peel the apples for the children Jo? I have one of those and I love it as it takes ages to peel and chop a pile of apples for pies etc.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15:21 am »
My new slow cooker was magnificent today when I cooked a bunny in it. Yummy.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.