Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521650 times)

mcmich

Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #3030 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:44 am »
I like to help out where I can Gert. My DH wants to buy me a kindle - but I don't want one (or a fancy phone or ipad).
I like to turn pages. I like the smell and feel of books (not in a kinky way). I like to read in the bath with glass of wine.
With everyone kindling I should be able to pick up lots of bargains.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: May 22, 2012, 08:21:58 am »
Yup there will be more and more bargains.

I used to feel the same way about books. A couple of years ago I had a Female carpenter come in and build a wall of bookcase. It was chocka. Then I bought a kindle and another and another until I had given  4 away and kept one. I cannot  stand to read a book. now. And I am about to hop into my bath with my brand new Kindle . I can read it in the sun , sand,bath and especially love to take it into the pool.
Love it love love it. I get sad sometimes  about emptying my book case but I can pot 3000 books on it and the won't go mouldy and smell like books do in the tropics.

My loss is your gain. I love it when she I see someone else loading up but not for me now.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: May 22, 2012, 08:35:33 am »
I love my kindle as well.  I never thought I would accept it as I enjoyed the 'real thing', but wouldn't be without it now - just bought one for my sister too.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

mcmich

« Reply #3033 on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:28 am »
I thought maybe I was missing out by not having a kindle - went to "purchase" Apples for Jam for kindle, they didn't have it and sent me to site for the actual real book version.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:46 pm »
I buy more books for the ereader than 'real' books now. I love them both.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »
For me it's is about travelling with books. The weight and space for books is a pain in the butt . To run out of books is a disaster of major proportions . My life stops if I do not have something to read. That is why I love my Kindle so much.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: May 22, 2012, 01:46:05 pm »

.........EAT CAKE!

mcmich

« Reply #3037 on: May 22, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »
For me it's is about travelling with books. The weight and space for books is a pain in the butt . To run out of books is a disaster of major proportions . My life stops if I do not have something to read. That is why I love my Kindle so much.

Gert

Good point, for travelling it would be excellent and I always have a couple of books in my locker at work.
Maybe I need to have a rethink.

Nice buys Maddy.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: May 22, 2012, 10:48:15 pm »
My first copy of the delicious magazine arrived last week, same as Maddy posted

The purple carrots, had 3 boys & dh, peeled a carrot & chooped it up. Then asked them all to taste it & tell me what it was. Dh said parsnip, LOL, one boy said carrot straight away. It was fun.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: May 22, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »
My first copy of the delicious magazine arrived last week, same as Maddy posted

The purple carrots, had 3 boys & dh, peeled a carrot & chooped it up. Then asked them all to taste it & tell me what it was. Dh said parsnip, LOL, one boy said carrot straight away. It was fun.

H :)

I love the surprise factor of the purple,carrots and the do have a different taste.

Good fun.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: May 22, 2012, 11:08:52 pm »

Gert

Good point, for travelling it would be excellent and I always have a couple of books in my locker at work.
Maybe I need to have a rethink.

Nice buys Maddy.

No matter how much you love real books and no matter how many time you say you will never NOT buy a real book you just cannot get over the practical  aspects of a kindle and how it is saving paper and ink. Two precious commodities.

I used to buy  15  newspapers a week and now I read more newspapers and buy only 6 papers a week.  I don't enjoy the reading of newspapers on line  as much but I feel better about it. I take all my papers to the local YAPS/RSPCA  for the doggies and cats.  At least I feel I have not wasted  them in a way. Also means I don't have newsprint fingers on everything and I can  take a week to read  The Sunday New York Times.

Any mags I buy do the rounds of friends and neighbours.  I buy Masterchef  and Vanity fair on my iPad. Much cheaper and I get to keep them.

Now why don't they sell GOOD wine in BIGGER bottles.

Gert

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:13 am »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:52 am »
I'm another kindle convert - love it particularly for travelling or the very rare occassion I get to lie in the pool and read.

Gert you must be an amazingly fast reader.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: May 23, 2012, 03:53:11 am »
More Tupperware. Must. Stop. Now. Off to Costco in a few minutes, who knows what I'll pick up from there.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:21 am »
My mother taught me to read well before I went to school. I ruined my eyesight by reading though the light under  the door , the light from street lights and the flashlight under  covers when it was after lights out.

Maddy I love that pasta pic.