Author Topic: $2.95 for a 6 pack of rolls?  (Read 11066 times)

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
$2.95 for a 6 pack of rolls?
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:17:52 am »
So I had to give in yesterday, and go to the supermarket and buy some rolls for dinner, had been out all day and didn't have time to make my own bread.

Shock! $2.95 for 6, shocking, horrible rolls! I felt rather jibbed  :D I'm so used to making my own bread almost everyday, that I'd forgotten (in my whole 2 months o thermomixing?) lol, how much they charged for bread!

I noticed the cheese and bacon rolls were $4.95, on special! Normally $6.50  :o

Is there anything you refuse to buy now that you have a thermomix?

My other one is sorbet, outright refuse to pay $6+ when I can make it for around $1.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: $2.95 for a 6 pack of rolls?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:40:15 am »
And the list goes on and on really!
It makes me giggle when non-TM owners gasp in horror at the cost of the machine......but guess who saves in the long run  ;)
You just can't beat fresh!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Ninny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:41:08 am »
Hi LeeJ, I am still so new that anything i make is a blessing. I took DH shopping today and asked him which flour I should buy to make my own rolls and bread, he said that it is cheaper in the long run to buy them. I know this isn't true and not what I want to do, so i am asking as a newbie what flour do you use please and what recipe you are using as i desperately want to prove him wrong?
Thanks in advance
Jenny  :)
Jenny ~ Lake Macquarie

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:43 am »
Jenny.....your hubby IS wrong!  ;D
I personally love chookies no fuss rolls, which can be made into a loaf: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4253.0

and of course partial to the cheese & bacon rolls  ;) http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3114.0

Go bake.....and prove him wrong! LOL!
Can't wait to hear his comments  ;)

P.S......the flour I use is the "Wallaby" bakers flour.  Sold in coles for around $9.00 for a huge bag of the stuff.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:48:14 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 05:21:22 am »
Jenny, your hubby is definatley wrong  ;D

I use chookies plain bread rolls too, sooo simple, never muck up. I just add bacon and cheese tot he top of those, but I have been meaning to try yours Maddy!

The trick is to not overcook them I've found.

I'm just using plain old homebrand plain flour! :o , I buy the wallabys that maddy suggested every now and again (it doesn't have the nasties that most of the other bread flours do), but I find the basic homebrand plain flour does a pretty good job!

I buy the yeast in the tub, in the same section (I think it's around $5), it lasts ages, keep it in the fridge :)

Then there is just water, sugar and salt!

I think it works out around 60c a day for bread for us, or around 9 rolls from chookies recipe.

costs around $2.00 for the bacon and cheese ones, but they are SO much better then bought ones!

Just remember to pull it out just as starts to brown, I found leaving it to brown too much makes a much denser bread.

Hope that helps to prove him wrong!  :D

Maddy, it's so true, I too scoffed at the price all that time ago, but now wouldn't be without it!! Now I scoff at supermarket prices ;)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 06:19:00 am »
$2.95 is cheap, compared to prices in the country.... :-[

Just prove him wrong slowly but surely.

Proper bread flour will yield a much better loaf, but is probably OK for rolls when you've nothing else.

Lauke's Wallaby Bread Flour is the best. IGA, Woolies & Coles stock it. Even buying the Lauke Bread Mixes would be cheaper than buying bread.
Don't forget, you can make crumpets, pizza dough, doughnuts and flavoured breads as well!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 03:07:00 am »
Once DH has tried your fresh, warm home made bread he want want to swap back. Try some of Isi's recipes too, they are lovely and easy. I keep my yeast in the freezer, then I don't have to worry about use buy dates.
Since Judy suggested using bread improver I do so too. I think it adds that little bit to the final bread/roll. You can buy that in Coles or Woolies too.
Let us know how your bread turns out.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:46:03 pm »
lee J,  Your DH is very wrong.  It costs about $1 for the ingredients to make 6/8 rolls.   then there is the cost of cooking them.  I make my bread when I am going to cook something else in the oven,  so the 20 mins that it takes to heat up the oven happens only once for 2 or 3 dishes.  If you use cake flour you will get a softer roll.  I usually make my 'No fuss' bread and add a handful of LSA or seeds or rolled oats.   isi's rolls are very nice and her method is easy if you are just starting out.  good luck and persist.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:03:52 pm »
Do you mean me? Or Jennyhavinfun?

Offline Penji

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:36:54 pm »
How do you make crumpets, I love them, only buy them when they are on offer but find they go off so quickly.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 11:39:38 pm »

Here's Thermomixer's crumpet recipe Penji

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=99.0

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 11:40:21 pm »
Too quick for me JD  :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Penji

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:06 pm »
Thank you, that was very impressive.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 11:58:15 pm »
My pleasure Penji.  Sorry Kathryn, I know what it's like when you go searching and before you can click on post, someone just pips you at the post!  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 10:28:22 am »
We have some friends with 5 children who are on a pretty tight budget and they've always made all of their own bread because it is so much cheaper.

DH and I had this discussion some years ago when I bought my first breadmaker and at the time it was six of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other but he was comparing the cheapest bread in the supermarket with the bread I was making which is far from being a fair comparison.  Bread over here (UK) is a lot more expensive now and its significantly cheaper to make your own.

I used the same argument to get an ice cream maker but I'm still not convinced its cheaper to make your own ....  it tastes nicer and has none of the nasty chemicals in it but cheaper?  Not so sure ....  ;D

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010