Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478832 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #13410 on: February 02, 2015, 08:57:08 am »
Photos please Stacelee? Not that any of us need anymore toys of course.  ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13411 on: February 02, 2015, 10:46:37 am »
Oh wow, that pasta maker is seriously tempting... I'm a little disappointed that I got the KA pasta press attachment before I knew about the Phillips!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

stacelee

« Reply #13412 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:02 am »
I'm seriously in love with it.  It took about 8 minutes to make Udon noodles (2 serves) and then it backed straight up to make the spaghetti taking 15 minutes to make enough for four very generous serves plus left overs.  I was thinking about getting the pasta attachment for my Kenwood but it didn't cost a lot more to get the fully automatic machine.  Cleaning it wasn't a drama either.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:27 am »
After reading your post Stacelee I googled it. It sounds a lovely idea. I love it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13414 on: February 02, 2015, 07:55:28 pm »
Stacelee, is it one where you put eggs, flour and water in the machine and it mixes and extrudes the pasta?

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13415 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:10 pm »
Oh no Stacylee, I just checked this out on ytube and read the reviews,   I WANT ONE.  I hate using my old hand machine, it drives me to craziness the handle falls off it makes around,,,   The big question is DO I really need it, no of course not but I want one..so i quess it is just a waiting game till I hit the shops.. ;D ;D ;D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13416 on: February 02, 2015, 10:44:52 pm »
I have been looking at it, but shall think about this a while longer I think.  TVSN have a "Phillips in the kitchen" show today @ 3.30pm....check it out if you have foxtel.  it will be shown with their other products.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13417 on: February 02, 2015, 11:00:53 pm »
What sauce recipe are you making with your fresh tomatoes?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13418 on: February 02, 2015, 11:57:02 pm »
I have one. Not a Philips. Called Pasta Fresca.  Don't like it.  The Philips one may be better.
Why don't I like it?
Difficult to get the perfect consistency. Probably needed to play with the recipe to get right.
When I made tubes, difficult to cut the desired length.
Good points
Easy to clean
Didn't get flour all over the kitchen

Have gone back to using old machine but will get it out and have another play with it.
Must say I get a bit impatient when things don't work properly.
Others have used my machine and made very thin pasta, and were quite happy with it.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13419 on: February 03, 2015, 12:14:42 am »
Chookie check out the demo on utube the mixture is very dry, I'm actually about to improvise and make the mixture hopefully in the Thermomix kneeding for about 4 mins, I can't find the recipe for the machine but will make it drying like breadcrumbs, then I'm going to try putting it through my electric mincing machine,   But I'm still really interested in the phillips one.

stacelee

« Reply #13420 on: February 03, 2015, 12:41:59 am »
I was concerned about how dry the mixture seemed but the pasta extruded was perfect.  It is a really solid machine, all the bits feel really strong.  I nearly cheaped out and bought the Mistral that is on sale at Harris Scarfe but decided that since I'm not getting a new thermomix I'd treat myself to the Phillips.  I bought it through TVSN because they were packaging it with the extra asian dies.  The price worked out about the same with shipping as it would have cost to get the machine and dies through somewhere like Harvey Norman.

The sauce I used was just made up as I went along (like a lot of my cooking).  I just dumped garlic, red onion, tomatoes, capsicum, fresh basil and a glug of tomato paste into Tom and the sauce was what came out.  Being a little more precise, I did cook down the garlic and onion first and then just dumped everything else in....blitz'd it up and cooked it for 10 minutes. :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13421 on: February 03, 2015, 01:29:47 am »
AB,  the instructions are that bread crumbs size of mix is too dry,  they should be the size of peas.  i will give it another go today and see what happens.
Stacelee, mine was $300 , 5 years ago,  but I paid $200 for it.  It has a lot of dies and several recipes including a gluten free one.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13422 on: February 03, 2015, 01:55:48 am »
LOL.  I've just bought one of these this morning!  Thought I'd come on here and tell you about it and I see Stacelee has already got one too. :)

I already have all the attachments for my KA but it does take a bit of time to firstly make the pasta then put through the attachments so I don't use it as much as I should even though it does it so well.

I like how this one does it all for you and I'm sure that it will get more action than the KA one.  My DH loves anything that has pasta in so for him I'm really happy I got this.  Will be trying it out in the next couple of days. :)

There are quite a few videos of people using one on YouTube, some quite lengthy, but this one is short and sweet and gives you the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4juBbZ1BY

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13423 on: February 03, 2015, 02:18:04 am »
I'd have one of those if I needed it - not enough meals required in this house to warrant it though.  Nothing could be more simple, it looks wonderful.  Thanks for the link Julie, I hate watching long uTube videos.  Is it easy to clean?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13424 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:18 am »
Hi JulieO. I'm looking forward to hearing how yours goes. We like pasta but don't have it terribly frequently. I don't have a KA, I have a Kenwood. I have a hand turning pasta machine but I don't like to anchor it to my bench. I have thought about using DH's benches in his shed for it though.
I see Kogan have one. How do you think that would go?