Only on the Blades.

Offline kyton

• View Profile
Re: TM5
« Reply #571 on: November 06, 2014, 09:52:05 am »
Same here - blade, not lid.
Kylie

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 06, 2014, 10:13:25 am »
That is  interesting.

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:30 am »
I just had to get up and check. Mine is only green under the blades.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 06, 2014, 04:12:23 pm »
I ain't wasting it uni so have devided it and will freeze 500 gms and use the other for something.  I mean it has cream in it so pretty rich.

While you are  here Uni. What do you think.........

Make some pasta dough in the TMX then roll it out with a rolling pin instead of using the pasta maker which is a pain in the assand needs three hands. Could I just roll,the dough out thin and make rag pasta? Would that work ok?

Gert
yes it will work
once you have rolled it out roll it up then slice it , make sure u use plenty of flour when rolling it up
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 06, 2014, 09:40:17 pm »
Gert, I always used to hand roll my pasta and never had any problems. The pictures Uni has put in are the same as we used to do.

I read the green seals are the new seals to replace thos on the machines that had the seal issue a month or so ago.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 06, 2014, 10:10:24 pm »
Thanks uni and Wonder re pasta.

Yes they are sending out new green seals for the TM31 not talking about that one.

But I am telling you that my consultant has  brand new TM5 which had the green seal in the lid of her new machine. We all remarked on it at the demo.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 06, 2014, 11:31:52 pm »
Strange Gert, mine has a green seal on the blades but not on the lid.
Denise

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 07, 2014, 12:07:08 am »
Special demonstrators models maybe?

Offline Essie

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 08, 2014, 12:11:12 am »
Green  seal on the blades, bright yellow seal on the lid, however that is due to tumeric 😄
Rag pasta, I have never heard of that before, sounds like an awesome idea!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 08, 2014, 12:19:11 am »
That's interesting, I wonder if that was why the consultants all got their machines first. I can't see why they would have a different seal for a demo.  Perhaps they were originally thinking of having a green seal instead of clear but then clear won. What I'm wondering is how long the seal lasts for, and how much it costs to get a new lid  ???
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Essie

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 08, 2014, 03:07:23 am »
I was wondering about seal replacement too. They can not last forever. It is interesting all you TM31 owners are preferring your original machine. I have nothing to compare it too, but I love what I have. I will mention your thoughts on the comparison to my sister, she purchased in June and is a little bit miffed, well a lot really. Your thoughts may make her feel better.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 08, 2014, 05:24:55 am »
Like anything essie it takes a bit of time and effort to update to a new technology when you have been using thenTM31 for so many years. But we WILL get there.

Basically there is absolutely no difference in the performance of the machines. It is still the great machine it has been. I think it just introduces a whole new generation of not so wonderful cooks to a way of cooking their grandmothers never imagined.. There is a bit of handholding and guiding that takes the place of the mothers that used to teach their interested children into the world of custard cooking. The chip contains recipes that are very basic and really no challenge to inventive  creative cooks. Still it is the way of the world where busy women need to be told step by step how to create a meal.

I find it hysterical how so many now need to spend. 14 minutes cooking a scrambled egg in the TM5  when it could be done in one minute in the stove.... but that is the mind set . A real time saver yes?

The effort that goes into preparing children's meals in the TMX is exhausting . Us old farts just used to mash up what we had , add a bit of milk and nobody died. Now we have to pulverise, put it into PLASTIC pouches for kids to inhale so as not to make a mess to clean up. How kids learn about colour, texture and flavour is a worry. We never hid vegetables. Now with the TMX we can hide a myriad of great vegetables in a "bolognaise"  to what end?  They will never know what a real Italian fine dish is much less that a carrot is  actually orange and can be quite sweet and delicious on it's own.

I won't bring my soapbox out  but I do tend to despair that the new TM5 makes it too easy for some to become mediocre cooks relying on a "chip" to make every meal. At this moment hundreds are chumping  at the bits for a new chip instead of learning, inventing  and challenging themselves in the kitchen.

You are lucky to have found us here essie. Take advantage of the sound minds and skills of hundreds of great cooks and do your own thing.

Gert

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:14:08 am by Gertbysea »

stacelee

« Reply #583 on: November 08, 2014, 06:11:25 am »
Gert,  I know where you are coming from about food for babies and kids.  My poor children never had special meals cooked for them...I worked full time (still do!) and didn't have time to prepare two different meals.  When they first started on solids, they had whatever vegetables we were eating mushed up with a bit of natural yoghurt....later they just ate whatever we ate.  My son was a bit fussier than my daughter until he was about 10 but my daughter has always eaten anything that didn't move (we always swore she would have a go at it if it did anyway).

I was considering upgrading to the TM5 but am struggling to see any real value in doing it.  I've actually sent the Robot Cook back to work and its been sold as a demo machine because I really wasn't using it enough to justify having it sitting there now that I know how to use it.  Reading more about the issues that some are having with the TM5 and the fact that the delivery time is blown out to nearly 8 weeks, I am struggling to justify giving TM more money.  I have always been vocal about disliking their business model and it seems almost hypocritical to buy the TM5 (even though my inner geek is REALLY wanting one).  The recipe chip is really a gimmick to me because I very rarely cook out of the TM books...I tend to convert on the fly or use recipes from here.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #584 on: November 08, 2014, 06:22:04 am »
Very well said Gert.

I've heard some chefs complain that, aside from the wonderful whizzing,chopping.pureeing it can do, the TM distances one from the cooking process as it's all joyless button pushing and invisible processes as you don't see what's going on in it.

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com