Author Topic: rice question  (Read 6712 times)

Offline curly66

• View Profile
rice question
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:58:09 pm »
Good Morning,

I've read all the hints for making the perfect rice, up until Quirky's fried rice I'd been dreadfully disappointed in how my rice turned out but FINALLY a perfect rice!
My question is, if I use stock instead of coconut milk and water will it make the rice gluggy and non-fluffy.
I ask because I have tried to make rice before with stock and even though it wasn't via the thermie or quirky's quantities, it wasn't nice light fluffy.  Was wondering if anyone has any opinions on pure stock cook rice (it has a name but can't remember)
many thanks in advance..

Offline snappy

• View Profile
Re: rice question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 11:50:22 pm »
Curly I never cooked rice before having my thermomix as it never worked.  I just follow the instructions n the EDC and it turns out perfectly everytime, I cook rice all the time now.  Also I generally use basmati rice and I am reliably informed that a key to getting light fluffy rice is rinsing the rice thoroughly with water to remove the starch before cooking.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:22:05 am »
I agree with snappy always rinse well before cooking, I made Garlic Rice last night which maybe is stock like, it turned out beautiful and made a sauce out of the left over liquid in the jug, steamed some Atlantic Salmon (with horseradish  and Dill)  and some Asian greens It was a great meal.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 01:17:44 am »
... but never rinse your rice before you make risotto.

Good luck with your experiments. 
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:19:44 am »
True, glad you mentioned that.

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 01:52:22 am »
I just can't take to Risotto, maybe because it's gluggy rice!!  lol  could never eat rice pudding either..
Maybe why I'm obsessed with getting flavoursome fluffy rice..

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 02:05:20 am »
have i you  tried this one curly http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=9059.0
the only one i do now

AB do u mean the steamed garlic rice, i am sure i dont rinse when i make it, will have a check  :-\
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:11:21 am »
Yes Uni, I rinsed it before I put it in the basket,,yea I remembered the basket last night.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:18:23 am »
have u tried it without rinsing it AB or is it just one of those habits that you have

i dont rinse
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:56:59 am »
I don't think I do either Uni - I just forget to rinse rice on most occasions  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:18:17 am »
I only started rinsing when I read about for a Mexican Rice recipe I made to go with Maddy's Fajitas.  It doesn't make a huge difference but it does stop the rice sticking together too much. 

I just put the rice into the steamer basket and run the steamer basket under the tap for a minute or so and then put it straight in the thermomix

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:26 pm »
Snappy I rinse in the tmx basket too, I read somewhere it stops it sticking so yes Uni just a habit I've got into.
Curly I cooked Hainanese chicken Rice from the "A Taste of Asia" cook book the rice was sauted first then cooked with stock,it was still fluffy so try it.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
I've made Quirky Jo's fried rice with stock instead of coconut milk (DD gets hives from coconut), the rice was a little over done but I'm not sure I'd say gluggy......not sure why it might go gluggy though.....I'll try to make it this week and see what happens.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:00 pm »
I think maybe when I did make it with stock it went gluggy because of my method not from the stock!!