Author Topic: info re starting babies on solids between 4-6 months  (Read 3601 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
info re starting babies on solids between 4-6 months
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:20 am »
for those who are intersted :)

The results of the study showed that out of 51 children who developed celiac disease autoimmunity (CDA), those who were exposed to gluten in the first 3 months of their lives had a 5-fold increased risk of CDA than those children who were exposed to gluten at 4 to 6 months of age. Moreover, children who ingested gluten for the first time at 7 months of age or after, showed an increase hazard ratio compared to children who were introduced to gluten at 4 to 6 months of age. The results of this study indicate a connection to gluten introduction and age introduced, thereby confirming the existence of a “window period” for gluten introduction.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/22092/1/Celiac-Disease-and-Breastfeeding---The-Missing-Link/Page1.html
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: info re starting babies on solids between 4-6 months
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:10:59 am »
mind you, rora started solids between 5.5 - 6 months and was fully breastfed at the time and it didn't help, but hopefully doing the same has helped my other 2 (who also have the gene but not CD)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Karen3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:45:14 am »
Thanks for the info Brazen.  Very interesting.
K3

Offline the_vermins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:40:43 am »
I agree there is a window between the magical 4-6 months age to start solids.  DD was just one VERY adventurous and interested in food baby and started at 16 weeks.  She didn't push any food out at all and wanted 3 meals very quickly (she was BF on top of the foods too). 

DS however, wasn't as interested in food yet started at 5 months and slowly built up to the 3 meals.  Both were eating what we ate by 9 months (obviously the suitable bits).

I do think more research needs to be done on the types of breads we have on offer though.  The huge numbers of people who are coeliacs or intolerant to gluten now is incredible.  More research NEEDS to be done. 
A closed mouth gathers no foot.