Author Topic: OT but please read if you have children/grandchildren etc  (Read 6263 times)

Offline trudy o

• View Profile
OT but please read if you have children/grandchildren etc
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:30:54 am »
Hi everyone,
As some of you are aware, we lost our 4yr old son, Tom Olive in august last year suddenly.  After months of testing, we have found out cause of death was due to a rare genetic condition.  However, there have been 3 confirmed cases of this condition in Australia alone, all within one month of each other, so doctors are now thinking that it may not be so rare - more likely that they don't know much about it and testing isn't even available here - only in Paris in a research lab.

I am writing this as I have opened a facebook page with the symptoms and stories from the other families here in Australia (one little boy is lucky enough to be alive).  Hopefully if enough people read it and pass it on to friends, we may be able to save another child who may be suffering the same symptoms.  I need to stress that Tom was a very healthy little boy, active and other than a few "episodes" of leg/back pain and red urine, there appeared to be nothing wrong with him, so for him to have breakfast one morning and then within hours have passed away, it was a huge shock. 

There are two Tom's (both deceased) with the condition and a little boy in Vic who is alive.
The link is:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lpin1-awareness-and-support-group/205301902828376  Please read and pass on.  Thank you,
Trudy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: OT but please read if you have children/grandchildren etc
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:56:46 am »
Trudy o, my heart still weeps for you and your family and now for the others who have had the same outcome.  You have done the right thing by putting this message out there for everyone to see, talk about and pass onto anyone with children.  Thank you  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:03:12 am »
hi trudyo
i am apart of this facebook group, little tommy dean who is also deceased is a son of a lovely lady i used to work with here in albury.  i cant imagine what yourself and kam and matt and the other familys affected are going through but please know we are all thinking of you and hope so much that more will be found out about this gene mutation.  i read your and the other families stories and it is just heartbreaking...
thankyou for being so giving and letting us all know what this horrible illness is and giving us a chance to maybe pick up on it in our children. thankyou
Emma from Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:03:37 am »
Love to you all and you are doing a wonderful thing making others aware of this.  :-* :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:13:39 am »
oh trudy, how awful :(
how wonderful of you to be raising awareness of it.
take care
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:39 am »
Dear Trudy I am truly sorry to hear about the loss of your son Tom.I have passed the information on to my daughter here in the UK to share with her friends who have young children.I will also pass it onto friends with grandchildren.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:34:56 am »
Trudy, My deepest sympathy to you and your family.  I was reading the link to the Courier Mail article where you mention having your daughter tested, how did you go with the testing ? I have a 6 yo, 4yo and a 2yo and am so, so grateful to you for letting me know of this.  Thank you, and I joined your Facebook page and will let all my friends know of your page too. 

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:14:27 pm »
My heart goes out to you Trudy and your family. What a horrible thing to go through, and so unexpected. You are a very brave person to share this with others and I take my hat off to you. I am going to join your page now and also let other know about it too.
Thank You again and I pray that what you are sharing will save others from the same heart breaking experience.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:48:44 pm »
Oh Trudy o, I never realized you are the Trudy from our Sunshine Coast team!! Angelina sent us all the devastating news at time and Courier Mail article. What a harrowing time you have had! :'( :'( Love and hugs from me.  :-* :-*

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 05:09:33 am »
Tears in my eyes as I read this. My heartfelt sympathy.
Well done for making everyone aware, I hope it will help to save many other young children.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 05:57:06 am »
With two young boys myself I just can't begin to imagine what your family has been through Trudy.  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about the loss of your beautiful son.  I will pass this link on to as many people as I can.

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 06:28:18 am »
I can't imagine what your family has gone through losing your precious son, & so suddenly.

My heartfelt condolences to you all, and thank you for raising the awareness to try & help other families.

Karen
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline trudy o

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:10:47 am »
Thanks everyone. 
Debbiebillg - our daughter Laura is a carrier.  They say she will suffer symptoms but it shouldn't be fatal.  They have an emergency plan in place for her just in case as they don't know a lot about it yet.

em - kam is a lovely lady.  We've spoken a number of times and hope to meet soon.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:28:39 am »
You are an inspiration Trudy.  Never forget that hon.  :)

You are always in my thoughts and prayers. <3
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 10:40:04 am »
Trudy: I have followed from a distance and send deepest consolences for Tom's death.  I am praying your next little one will be free of the disorder.

xxx